Chapter 3: Friend
4 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“Wabbit… wabbit… wabbit…

Waaabbit… wah”

Bernadette lurched when the old toad had settled upon her stinging head, the creature’s heavy flippers dangling over the edge of her periphery.

“Wabbit… wabbit…”

Alright, alright. I’m coming up. She tried wiggling her fingers, hoping to feel her limbs, only to bite herself inside as the movement converge every gashed and fractured anguish she had collected. A scream was supposed to be on her lips, but it dissipated as she realized she was barely breathing.

“Wabbit." Mister Sanders croaked again.

Closing her eyes, the girl swallowed both agony and dusty air. You can do this, Bernadette! You’re a Forester! She coughed as the lint caught up her throat. Breathing again, the hackle got her head to rise. Mister Sanders immediately hopped from his perch and was now looking at her poor face. His glowing golden eyes melting the sorrow in her chest.

Wait… glowing eyes?

And she was not wrong. Finding herself under the encouraging golden glow, Bernadette could hardly comprehend the fae continence of her new friend. Mister Sanders was a larger toad than most, and his hard eye stare, as she slowly came to conclusion, was angry.

You bet I am, brat!

Bernadette blinked a thousand times. She thought she heard someone was speaking.

Yes, it’s me, you’re talking to, girl.

And there was it again. When Mister Sanders convulsed and resettled himself, Bernadette knew she had heard the toad speak.

And I am not a mister! I am a lady! A lady of varying degree of prestige!

Oh! Surprised by her own calmness, she continued, I’m sorry to have offended you. Bernadette tried to recompose her thoughts. Truly I am.

It’s alright. You had helped me escape those horrible rocks. Your bravery is in need of compensation.

The mention of balancing favors stirred the rest of the Forester rules inside Bernadette’s aching mind. Any dealings with the fae were dangerous. The lady toad was fae, surely. She could talk! And Bernadette was not willing to accept any course of trade.

But if I not pay you, I am to be bounded to wait for you. The lady toad said. You can call me Allura safely by the way. I detest honorifics when I am with friends.

And now she was friends with a toad-fae!

And you are Bernadette. A pleasure. It was inevitable for her not to share her courteous thoughts. Her mother had planted it into her very being, to respect every person, and creature.

Please, Allura. I do not want to be indebted. My father will be disappointed! Bernadette thoughtfully begged the frog.

Being stuck in a ditch and bleeding will not match the Forester’s temperament. Besides, it’s not you who is indebted, silly. Its me. And, being cursed blind are things you don’t normally put on a child like you.

Wait. Curse blind? You mean—

Yes! Some awful creature had put a curse on you while you were still with your father. When you suddenly went mad all over the place, I knew you were in trouble.

So, my father is still looking for me?

Yes. And he is very worried. You eventually fell off a cliff, survived the fall with your head still intact. Gratefully.

Oh. And she had panicked. Forgot to follow the steps Foresters did when a curse had been put upon the mind. Bernadette could have examined her surroundings before she had gripped into fear.

As I have said. You’re just a girl. You were bound to be in shock, really.

As Allura said this, tears from Bernadette’s burdening heart fell away to dry soil. Relief and pain swirled her thoughts to the toad. Bernadette could have bawled, but everything was still dry and dark.

Shush, its alright. Allura delicately cradled. Let’s get you out of here and find your Dah.

But how? I can’t move and everything hurts!

You’re lucky I’m more of the good fae! Allura announced. As so, like floating into the cool embrace of the spring river, slick liquid attached itself to Bernadette’s broken exterior. She relaxed as the pain on her hip, legs, arms, shoulders, and back, slowly drifted away. And powerful too!

Moments wore long since the healing took place. And it was probably hours before Bernadette was able to sit up from her grave and beamed at Allura.

I cannot take off the curse however. You’ll find it gone tomorrow… I think. Like your clothes, it will wear.

Oh, Allura! How could ever thank you—

And you just got yourself indebted to me you idiot! The frog was basically yelling inside Bernadette’s head. Didn’t your Dah warned you not to say thank you? Were you that stupid?

I… Her father had warned her still. But Bernadette was not practically bright with communication, so she shrugged. I’m sorry.

You better let me handle your exit on this one, Bernadette. And stop thinking of gratitude for another second, and let me remember my debtors. Mm…

Crestfallen, Bernadette tried to empty her mind by observing where she was now. She was in a ditch. Although it was still dark to her eyes, she could feel the rough rocks behind her and the small hill where she could escape.

Ah! That’s it… but, that would take some time… The toad may have called herself powerful, but Bernadette smiled as Allura’s thoughts had lapsed hers in the end.

Believing she could manage it, Bernadette started to stand up. Allura’s mucous however was still absorbed in her skin, so she shook to hold her ground as the slime inside her boots slushed her feet.

Bernadette had been able to stand properly, her hands death-gripping the rock face when she noted the cry of a horrible beast. She staggered as the lament pierced winter on the nape of her neck.

Bernadette tried to implore Allura with words but her tongue was still arid. After a while, she reached out with her mind instead. Um… Allura, what was that?

Yes! That will do great. For a toad, she was hopping too much in glee. Knowing full well of the mentioned creature, Allura bounced-turned to Bernadette and said in playfulness, That my friend was our song to our freedom!

0