Chapter 1: Dreams
7 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

August 1, UC 1590 | ???, Planet ???, Capital City ???, Drikon Family’s Home

 

“Ugh,” lifting my head with a foggy look.

The first thing I notice is the delicious smell slowly wafting into my room.

‘Sniff. Sniff.’ A sigh escapes my mouth as saliva drips from my mouth.

With my mind only thinking of the yummy breakfast I would be having.

‘SMACK!’

“Huh?” With my butt planted on the ground. I slowly look up to witness a look of disgust directed at me.

“Pervert! It’s just food! Do you always have to look like a creep?” Exclaims Kideko.

“Haha. Sorry, I can’t help it. Mom’s cooking ‘Sniff’ her special ‘Sniff Sniff.”

“STOP SNIFFING!” warns Kideko.

I immediately stop sniffing. Heck. I didn’t even move a muscle. I knew that if I did anything more to tip my older sister. I would get the beat down of my life.

Kideko is only two years older than me, yet there is no way I have the guts to stand up to my sister. Honestly, you would think that this isn’t a big age difference. Well, you couldn’t be more wrong in that assumption. While I did get my smarts from Mom, my sister is the one that got the physique from Dad. She could completely wipe the floor from me if I gave her a chance to.

As such, common sense dictates; her happiness is more important than mine.

‘Mhm. I value my life. Why would I risk my life for that fleeting happiness of one-upping her? I’m such a genius. Hehe.’

“Food’s ready!” Yell’s mom.

“Coming!” replies Kideko. Taking one last look at me before turning around to head to the table.

I waited until she turned the corner before breathing out my held breath.

‘Phew. The tigress left.’ Wiping the imaginary sweat that was over my forehead. I head over to the table with drool dripping from my mouth.

“What took you so long?” Wondered mom, “you’re usually the first at the table?”

I couldn’t very well say a tigress was stalking her kill.

So, using one of the few things that can make a convincing answer.

“I was reading 'Strength is Might.’”

“Oh.” While staring at me with distrusting eyes. “Then what have you learned?”

‘Crap! An open-ended answer. Brain, don't fail me now.’ It didn’t help that I could feel the piercing gaze of my sister daring me to mess up with a slight smirk.

“With the end of the Golden Age, it became the starting point for HOTER, which means Holding On To Existential Resources. Because of the explosive rise of different nations trying to claim more valuable exotics and habitable planets, they started to desire what others had. For 200 years, different nations sabotaged and stole from their competitors. Politicians, who just wanted more power and wealth, decided it was a great idea to openly spread ideas of taking what should be “theirs.” During that time, hate speeches, false propaganda, and bribery were one of the few ways that made it easier to stir up the masses. Eventually, the hysteria got so bad that there were finally ideas of going to war.”

“Hmm…” she continues to stare at me.

“Umm…” squirming under her gaze.

While smiling, “I’ve already told you this. Tell me something new from what you read.”

‘Damn it! I don’t know anything else. Brain, come on. Think of what you read last night. Ugh, Mmm, Oh!’

“Because different nations started attacking each other, it became known as Irut Kull, the 40-year Massacre.”

“Why is it called the Irut Kull?” She ascertains.

“Nations went to war against other nations for their resources and habitable planets.”

Waiting for more, she raises her left eyebrow.

‘Gulps.’ Looking away. ‘I didn’t read any further than this! Why did I fall asleep?’

“I guess that’s good enough for now,” sighs mom.

‘Finally free! I can’t wait any longer.’

‘Chomp’ “Breaking news!” ‘Gulp.’

‘Mmm’ “I repeat,” ‘Slurp’ “…news!” ‘Gulp’

“My name…” ‘Inhale’ “...mech…” ‘Gobble.’ “...attack…”

‘Hmm.’ Munching on the food that’s still in my mouth. I perk my ears in the direction of the sounds.

“Here at Pran! We can see destruction all around! Even though we still don’t know why they continue this series of attacks. What we do know is? They’ve attacked us five times already since their first attack a day ago. Estimated casualties are more than 400 and more to come as they are still trying to clear…” exclaimed the reporter.

Glancing at them with worry, “Mom? Dad?”

“It’s alright. The capital’s a safe place,” soothes Mom.

“That’s right. Every place they attacked was when the security was the most relaxed. Because of the timing, they only attacked when we were vulnerable. You don’t need to worry. We’re here. Aren’t we?” reassures dad.

I notice dad’s calm gaze. I immediately felt calm by the confidence and security he gave off.

I understood that worrying about this would be unnecessary when my dad would be around to kick all their butts. ‘Yup! He’s the best dad in the world!’

While I was engrossed in eating the delicious food, mom and dad glanced at each other in worry, which they hid from Astinia, revealing a look of distress at the disturbing news.

“Haylock?” Annika whispers with fear.

“Don’t worry. With what I can find out, the Azmor Black Hawks have started to get involved.” Revealed Haylock.

“Really?” She says in surprise.

Who are the Azmor Black Hawks? They are the best anti-terrorist military force on the planet. They are one of the few military organizations that will cooperate with the police and private security organizations. Because they can combine their resources and intelligence, they can bring a massive force than any measly terrorist can scrounge up.

Annika breathed out in relief, yet there was still a feeling of unease. No matter how good they might be if the terrorists decided to attack this city. She doesn’t want to keep thinking this and focus on her food which seems duller than before.

At the same time, Haylock contemplates why the Azmor Black Hawks are deploying for this. With around 400 casualties and five cities attacked, it doesn’t make sense that they are deploying so soon. It should take a lot more destruction and deaths before they start moving. What is going on? Why?

‘Bzz Bzz!’

“Ah!” Quickly taking a few more bites, I get up as I don’t want to keep them waiting. Grabbing my bag, I hurry to the door after confirming my admittance card is inside. Unfortunately, I feel a tug that grounds me to a halt. 

“Mom?” My voice quickly gets drowned in her hug.

“Make sure you watch where you’re going. Don’t talk to strangers on the way. If you need something from us, you can always call us. If you’re ever in danger, run away and call the police. Know that you can always call us if you ever need to. You can always come back during the holidays. Are you sure you…” worries mom while squeezing harder and harder.

“Honey? You’re going to keep his friends waiting,” implores dad, seeing that I wasn’t breathing while in mom’s loving embrace.

Of course, Haylock wasn’t going to say that out loud. He doesn’t want to get an earful from her.

“Ah!” Exclaims mom. Distracted by her ranting, she forgot that my friends were waiting for me.

As she was momentarily distracted, I used this chance to try to squirm out of her hug.

Not wanting to let me go just yet, “I love you,” she said while staring at me.

It didn’t take a genius to know what she wanted me to say. “I love you, too.”

Beaming a proud smile, she finally lets me go.

Turning around, I cautiously tread forward in case she would hug me again. Noticing that she hadn’t tried to hug me again, I hurriedly moved to the door and opened it. 

 

August 1, UC 1590 | ???, Planet ???, Capital City ???, Front Door of Drikon Family’s Home

 

Looking at the time on her comms, Siena taps her foot in frustration that Astinia is still not out.

“Why is he taking forever? Siena fumed.

“Maybe he forgot something,” says Omar.

“It’s the first day of school. He conveniently forgot that we were supposed to leave early. I do not want to sit near the front seats on the sky bus,” complained Siena.

‘Sigh’ “Let’s wait a few more minutes. I’m sure he will be out soon,” insisted Omar, knowing there won’t be much he could say when she was like this.

“Maybe,” he mumbles while looking at the time on his comms.

‘Whoosh’ There I am, rushing out from the open door. I knew my friends were waiting for me.

“Haha, sorry, sorry, I uhh. Forgot something.”

There is no way I’m going to say why I couldn’t leave earlier was because Mom wouldn’t let me go and kept nagging me with loving words. ‘Nope! Got to keep a cool image in front of my friends.’

“Oh! Ok, I’m glad you remembered whatever it was that you forgot. It might have been something important you needed for school.” says Siena with a frigid smile.

Oh crap! Feeling a shiver run down my spine as she directed her gaze at me. I immediately try to distract her.

“Let’s hurry! We won't be able to sit on the back seats of the sky bus.” 

‘Oh, No!’ Realization dawned on me why she was so mad. I took a few slow steps backward and immediately turned around to run to the sky-stop.

“Hehe,” chuckled Omar. Knowing this is a usual occurrence between them. He runs off to follow Astinia as he doesn’t want to be around her when she complains about Astinia.

Of course, these actions by those two didn't help Siena as she stomps her foot in anger, chastising them for leaving a helpless girl all by herself.

Yet, in the minds of the two, nowhere was the thought that she was helpless.

 

August 1, UC 1590 | ???, Planet ???, Capital City ???, Sky Bus; On route to ??? Jr. Academy

 

“Yes!” Exclaims Siena. She hurriedly moves to the back of the sky bus to ensure she can get a seat near the back.

Stepping on the sky bus, I noticed that other students arrived earlier than us, yet most sat from the middle or front seats. I’m thankful because this will somewhat appease her anger toward me. I don’t want to sit near her when she’s like that. 

“Phew.”

Moving toward the rear, I noticed a few sitting nearby that caught my interest.

The one closest to my right was a redheaded boy with a pissed-off expression.

‘Let’s look away before he notices me staring.’

“Hmm,” I wondered. On my left, unless my eyes are playing tricks on me. I think they are triplets. It's not every day you get to see triplets. Let’s see, two boys and a girl. 

‘They seem friendly.’

I regret thinking that as they instantly looked in my direction and glared at me.

‘Yeah, not friendly.’

Quickening my pace, I slipped past them, but I could still feel their intense stare on my back.

‘Why is everyone here so hostile?’

Noticing that I am near the end of the middle rows, my eyes gravitate to the giant. ‘Huh? Is that what I think it is because this pillow is almost twice her size?!’ Before I can fully process the ridiculousness of what I am seeing.

‘Ding Ding!’

“We are about to take off. For your safety, please be seated. There are bags under your seat which I highly recommend you remember to use,” warns the gruff voice from the intercom.

“Huh?” Quickly crossing the short distance to take my seat near Siena and Omar, I buckle up and wait while clenching the side arms.

‘Rumble! Rumble!’

Feeling the slight tremors under my seat, I first pick up the vibrations under me. Over time I hear the sound of a high-pitched whine everywhere. 

30 seconds… 2 minutes… The feeling of lightheadedness started to creep in. Unconsciously, I closed my eyes and took short breaths. It felt like forever since we started lifting into the air. Finally, the tremors and noises subsided.

‘Ding Ding’

“For anyone who has used the bags under the seat, a bot will be coming by. The bot will also deliver tea and soda for those in need of one. We have three more stops before we get to our final stop. The estimated time is 2 hours. Please take this time to get comfortable. Should you require anything during the flight, please let one of us know,” the gruff voice suggests.

“2 hours! I can’t wait any longer!” exclaims Siena.

“Ugh.” With my back slouching, breathing heavily, and wiping the sweat over my face. The after-effects from our takeoff just don't want to go away.

“I know it was fairly bumpy, but it wasn’t that bad, right?” Says Omar with a questioning gaze.

Looking sickeningly at Omar, who is eyeing me in amusement, then at Siena, who is gazing out of the window in excitement.

“Sigh” ‘I give up. Why am I the only one that has to suffer?’

“Hey! Hey! What’s that!” Siena points to the distance.

“Huh?” With my thoughts still trying to overcome the nauseous feeling, I strain to catch what Siena is pointing out there.

“Huh?” I look at her in wonder at why she is asking about that.

“Isn’t that your favorite idol Yuna? You see her face everywhere.”

“No, stupid,” argued Siena.

“Ehh” Being told stupid for no reason did not help my headache.

Beep!’ As if the bot knew my plight. I felt like crying tears of joy. “If you have used any of the provided bags, please drop them here. After a visual scan, I notice that you aren’t feeling well. Would you like any refreshments?” says the bot.

“Ginger Tea, please.”

“One moment,” says the bot.

“Please?” Questioned Omar, “it’s just a bot.”

I shrug my shoulders, yet before I can say anything.

”Your Ginger Tea,” says the bot.

“Thanks.”

I don’t even need to look at Omar to know he is questioning why I would need to thank a bot, but I didn’t care.

“Sigh.” Even though the tea didn’t cure my nausea, the warmth and the gingery taste were enough to clear my mind.

“Hey! It’s back!” Siena exclaims to get our attention again.

Immediately looking out the glass, I see a group of Mechs. Though they were far out, we can still see their general shape.

“What I wouldn’t give to pilot a mech right now.” sighed Omar.

“Is a Mech that great?” I wonder.

“Yes! The sleek contours and the gun going bang bang. I’ll follow in my dad’s footsteps and fight ten. No! One hundred mechs just like dad,” Omar proudly proclaimed.

I don’t understand why Omar wants to pilot a mech that badly. Doesn’t he want to be safe where his life isn’t at risk? Aren’t there plenty of enjoyable things he can do without the risk associated with being in a mech?

Shaking her head, “while I think mechs are pretty cool, what I want to be is an idol. Just like my Goddess Yuna, I want to sing to millions of fans who are cheering my name,” vowed Siena with eyes blazing.

She then stares at me, “What about you?”

“Me? I want to be a scholar.”

Omar and Siena glance at each other and then at me.

“You don’t want to be an idol?” Questions Siena.

‘No way! Why would I want millions of people to stare at me? That sounds awful.’

“What about a mech pilot?” Omar adds in.

‘And get shot dead? No thanks. I’ve read enough books to know that being on the frontlines simply doesn't suit me.’

“Look, I understand that being a scholar isn’t as grand as being an idol or a mech pilot, but it suits me perfectly.”

While trying to appease the two, I remember the day I chose to one day be a scholar. While for most, it all started on a day like any other. But for me, it was a time when my dad finally came home.

0