7. sky festival part 2: underestimating the threat
194 1 7
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
hello guys. sorry for the late update. I have been busy these past 4 days. enjoy the chapter. honestly, I don't even know if you guys like the story. I'm just writing it for fun. thanks for reading

 

The sky giant approached the city with its towering figure that could leave anyone in utter disbelief. It had a visible see-through body that appeared like a Dusky shadow to anyone that saw it. The city aquanus was shrouded by darkness due to being engulfed by the sky giant's foot.

 

Avan was learning weapons arts from one of the instructors. he noticed this view of the sky that turned cloudy. he saw this only once a month. A word suddenly clicked in his mind

[sky festival]

 

He had witnessed many sky festivals growing up. People hunted huge fish and a festival was held after catching them. He never hunted in one of them. It was considered dangerous but very rewarding. It made him want to hunt the flying sky fish. It was a rare event that came only once a month at a time.

He had been practicing a lot for his school entrance exam. This is one of the few times he could hunt magical beasts within the city. which was far safer than going alone in forests and beyond the walls.

[This could be a good exercise to test my skill. Maybe I should sneak out? Should not be too hard]

 

"Sir Avan, you are very distracted today at swordsmanship class"

 

"sorry, can we end today's class right now? I need to meet father"

 

The instructor excused himself as it was the general order he was not aware of.

 

before leaving avan asked him

"Have you seen my brother?"

 

"yes he has been training with trainee knight Allister. he does not take my classes so I do not know anything other than what I have seen"

Avan remembered how for the past 4 weeks his big brother had been working out. It was very out of character for rayhein to work out. avan remembers how his brother said that he loved his family a few weeks ago. It was appalling to listen. Avan was convinced it was a lie told by his brother.

 

“Someone like that doesn’t deserve a family. A coward that would run abandoning everyone to save his skin. he is revolting to the core.”

 

Haunted by the past avan never wanted to trust anyone anymore.

[My brother abandoned him when it mattered the most. How could he count on others?]

 

Avan was sick of his weakness and helplessness. He trained hard to overcome his pitiful self-every day.

[I want to be strong. Strong enough that nobody could harm me and no one could challenge me. So none can take anything from him ever again.]

 

Opening a pocket watch he had his late mother's picture engraved in it. seeing it he had an emotional face.

[I will succeed father. Help our family become nobles. Ray doesn’t deserve to be a part of our family after I become the head, I will get rid of him ray for good]

 

Avan made his way from the villas heading toward the city. Two figures were watching from the balcony. The leaving figure was disappearing into the distance

“Dear, are they going to be ok? Should we not stop him? It’s dangerous.”

 

Ullie the mother of the family was worried as this was a dangerous festival to partake in.

[My own sons avan and rayhein both are in the city. They are still young children. These fish monsters are far more dangerous than people assume.]

 

His husband Ivan was standing beside her as he watched the weather and sky change into a storm.

“I have sent Hans to watch the kids. All the champion knights order of the city are deployed as well for safety so don’t worry”

 

“There will be more dangerous situations in the future. They have to grow. This kingdom and its people will not be kind to the likes of us. They will be discriminated against and walked all over if they don’t become strong. The times are very cruel. They will get a scale of what the threats are.”

 


 

Rayhein watched this giant's foot land onto the city making the clear sky of the city cloudy and dusky. The sky giants had no physical form that could interact with the environment still ray experienced something fascinating. There was a storm within the body of the giant. Countless flying fish were circling within this storm of condensed energy very far up in the air. Taking a nose dive after some time. They were acting like a swarm following one another as a collective. Mimicking a bait ball is what many fish do for security. seeing these magical beats do it? It was very odd as rayhein was watching how they act.

[there must be a predator if they are acting like that right?]

 

After observing the surroundings some fish had been captured by some hunters. the way they handled them was very professional. subduing the fish with minimal effort. looking at the captured fish ray noticed these fish had very sharp pointy long teeth. Some claws like fins and 2 antenna rods poke out the right and left sides of the body. Many sky fish in the sky and body sizes vary from sizes of 10f to 70f. There were countless fish. The sky was filled with them.

 

[this can not be right how is this a festival? these are literal monsters that can tear houses with their big jaws"

 

Looking at the surroundings ray found that most of the town was empty. all windows and doors were completely locked shut.Only geared individuals and knights were making preparations to relish the opportunity and catch these magical monsters. Most of them were on their building rooftops.

“Allister, should we call this off? how we even catch these things if they can fly? Can’t they fly away?”

 

Allister was trying to find a high-altitude area to catch a small sky. Ray was tagging along behind him.

“Well, most use some gear built by the dwarves. Harpoons and very sturdy nets. Some just try to cut their antennas. I know the general basics but if two antennas are cut off they fall to the ground. The problem is they have very hard bones and skin. It shouldn't be hard”

 

“Can’t we use the homes Ceiling?”

 

“No, we will get in trouble plus we will be held accountable for any damage”

 

Trying to find an elevated position to catch the fish, ray and Allister were scouting the city streets for any places. Homes were not suitable it could destroy their property.

“Can we use that stone pillar?”

 

Ray pointed at the stone pillar that was present throughout the city. Many had already claimed their place and some were climbing. Some had a height of 40ft

 

Ray and Allister climbed a pillar of stone that was very thick and had enough space for many people to stand on its top. Having a good height both were ready to catch something. Many sky fish were descending in bait balls. Some were strays hovering just 40ft in the air.

 

“These monster fish are here, be careful”

 

“You too”

 

Ray and Allister were not prepared to catch anything they were just trying their luck if any fish just grazed past near them and they can try to kill it. One fish of nearly 14ft was approaching their location.

“Use your hand as a catapult and with your full strength launch me at that Fish”

 

Ray was not confident in this reckless plan. With a worried expression, he asked

“Are you sure? I don’t think these things are as easy to catch as we think. Just look at them.”

 

“just do it. we are here anyway might as well get something out of it”

 

Grabbing Allister's hand he swirled Allister like a yoyo with so much intensity that his feet were completely in the air. ray was swinging around Allister's body like he was a paperweight. Stopping his momentum for just a second and aligning himself towards the fish at the right moment threw him in the sky fish direction with all his strength.

 

“Swish”

 

The force with which Allister was launched was strong enough to make a swirling sound of the wind. Allister was approaching the fish in the air with no haste. Allister was reading himself in midair as he shifted his weight to align his body and direction toward the fish. With his hand on the sword sheath. he placed it on the hilt of the sword grabbing it. He had only learned one thing in the junior academy and that was how to train and hone his use of inner force abilities. Force in general was the manifestation of inner strength via using energy generated by the body. The output of it can vary from person to person. It takes time to hone and evolve the use of force. Allister was now as strong as ray while using force.

 

Taking out his sword in an instant he curled his body to make a 360 motion in the air and using the momentum made a devastating sword strike using the sword. Allister was confident. The fish was not aware of Allister and was facing the opposite direction

Both the fish and Allister's sword clash

“Shing”

 

The sword breaks into tiny pieces as he could not penetrate the skin. Allister's body slams the fish head first and he gets knocked out by the impact falling towards the ground.

 

“Shit”

 

Ray saw everything happen in an instant. He had a shocked face. After spending time with Allister, ray knew how strong he was yet not even scratching the skin with one of his sword strikes.

 

[We need to retreat this is beyond our capabilities]

 

Ray rushes towards the spot where Allister's body is descending at an accelerated pace. He watching Allister with the utmost attention

[WHAT, fuck I’m too far. No , noo]

 

The fish was chasing the falling body angry and was opening his pointy mouth ready to devour the unconscious Allister. Having nearly caught up to the falling body it was a hopeless view for Ray. having a glance around everybody was dealing with their mess battling the fish

 

[we seriously underestimated the threat]

 

No one was willing to step in. ray was sprinting with everything he had but the distance was too much.

“Boom”

 

A sudden energy blast hit the fish dead center in its eyes. Making it completely disoriented and fall onto the ground. Its eye caught on fire burning as it was wobbling and destroyed the ground. A young boy was standing out of breath as he had his right hand that was half burnt by flames. Avan was hurt. Both ray and avan's eyes met. they could not talk as the shrieking of the fish was too loud.

 

The fish quickly stood up using its antennas as support like it was using legs and was looking at all three of us like food. Opening its jaws it had saliva dripping from it that dropped to the ground melting the stone beneath. Ray was stunned and horrified by this creature as it approaches the three teens.

 

[This thing was not handicapped in any way falling to the ground. Its big claws and jaws were ready to rip them to shreds.]

 

The fish quickly ran like the wind with its antenna acting like legs. it was rushing and closing the distance fast aiming for all three with a roar. it's one eye that is completely gone. it was dead set on killing all of them.

 

"ROARRR"

 

ray was readying himself as he was trying to defend the unconscious Allister. Ray had just one thing in mind

[How the fuck is this a festival? we are so fucked]

7