24. A dark awakening
68 2 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Avan had just left Lilly’s room, but he was already planning to return soon. He was free for the day since he had trained extensively from early morning until the afternoon. In the evenings, he had some light studies with instructors as part of a curriculum that his father had designed for him and his brother but it was not exclusive to them. All children in the estate had the same curriculum.

 

Avan felt bored as he had a fixed curriculum. His father strictly ordered everyone to confirm their reasons for leaving the estate after the disaster at the sky festival involving him and his idiot brother, who had both been scolded heavily So, Avan decided to take a stroll in the vast garden, one of the few places where anyone was allowed to come.

 

As he walked, he gazed at the houses built in line, watching some people working and fixing roofs and other things to prepare for the approaching winter. Although he usually spent his time with Lilly and rarely left the house other than to train, he had been feeling very lonely and bored lately.

 

As Avan walked near the six houses, he saw an elderly woman working hard in a large storage warehouse built near the residents. She was carrying huge bags of food on her shoulders and sorting provisions, with a young girl helping her. Avan watched them for a moment as they worked, recognizing the woman as an auntie who had lost her family while migrating, and his brother was the reason for that. Walking past her, he felt a surge of hatred for his brother.

 

Although the high human society adored and respected his father, Avan and his brother Rayhein were stared at and avoided with hateful aversion. Avan didn't mind it, but adjusting even in his own house was always difficult. Aside from Lilly, his family, and Allister, he had little to no interaction with anyone in the estate.

 

However, as he walked past the old lady, he thought about helping her. After contemplating his thoughts, he changed direction and approached the lady, greeting her politely.

 

 "Avasha, my name is Avan. I can help with that if you don't mind," he said, offering to lend a hand.

 

Avan greeted the woman with a formal hello that was used for formal introductions in the high human empire. Although she looked old, her obsidian black hair was lustrous and had no trace of white hairs. Her pupils were a deep, crimson blackish-red, and her iris was a soft, vibrant red - a trademark of high humans. They remained youthful even past their prime, so her smooth, pale skin looked as elegant and young as any other woman in the estate, with only a few wrinkles marking her age. She was wearing a dress made of luxurious brown and black silk from the high human empire, adorned with intricate patterns that were unlike anything found in this kingdom.

 

The woman was working diligently. She hefted heavy bags of food onto her shoulders and sorted provisions with a practiced ease. When she heard Avan ask to help, but after laying eyes on him her expression went dead cold with eyes devoid of emotion.  

 

"Don't bother us again. Mind your own business," she said coldly with derision, her words sharp like icicles.

The young lady who had been standing near them overheard their conversation and quickly approached the auntie. Avan noted that she was taller than Rayhein, his older brother, and seemed to be in a hurry to diffuse the escalating tension as she knew the old lady had a very bad temperament. It was a common occurrence after everyone settled in this city.

 

"Excuse me, but auntie is a little exhausted. We can manage on our own, thank you," she said, addressing Avan as she quickly ushered the old lady away.

 

Under her breath, the young lady muttered disdainfully, "That brat Fiona should have died with her spawns. Nothing good has ever come from her especially that cursed child." She muttered with a small hateful grin

 

The old auntie's provocative words were clearly audible to Avan, as high humans had exceptional hearing. Although not as good as other races, their sense of hearing was far better than that of regular humans. Avan was used to being on the receiving end of such remarks, but hearing someone speak ill of his mother was unbearable.

 

Avan's face contorted with pure animosity at the hateful mutterings. He couldn't tolerate anyone speaking ill of his mother, no matter the circumstances. Planting his foot firmly on the ground, he lunged at the old lady with a quick step, aiming to strike her down with his fist with no remorse. His anger had reached its boiling point, and he no longer cared about the consequences.

 

In a flash, Avan appeared next to the old lady, poised to strike her down with full force.

 

 

Allister had just finished a rigorous training session and was feeling exhausted. His father, Hans, who also served as his butler, had been particularly hard on him for the past few months after the incident at the Sky Festival. Allister had learned the hard way how sheltered and naive he had been while living in the capital.

 

"I had never experienced  festivals before, nor had I understood the level of danger posed by magical beasts and monsters," he thought to himself as he made his way through the garden.

 


 

Allister was on the lookout for Rayhein, hoping to find him training somewhere. He felt guilty for causing him so much trouble and was desperate to apologize, especially since Rayhein had barely survived. Although he couldn't face Rayhein immediately after he had awoken, Allister had now gathered some courage to do so.

 

As he walked past the houses, he saw Avan engaged in conversation with a woman, which was unusual for someone who didn't typically socialize much. However, his keen observation skills alerted him to the fact that Avan was about to attack an old lady. Without a second thought, Allister rushed over at full speed to prevent Avan from doing something catastrophic.

 

Avan was only moments away from striking the old lady when she swiftly turned her face and caught his punch with just one hand. He was completely taken aback by her swift reaction, and the young girl who was with her tried to stop her, but it was too late.

 

The old lady's complexion grew ominous as she angrily swung Avan like a ragdoll and threw him into the ground with such force that he was a little dug into the solid ground, but she still didn't let go of his hand.

“You dare attack an elder, you degenerate shit!” she bellowed in a furious tone.

 

“It's 200 years too early,” she added as she threw him away like trash. Allister managed to catch him before he touched the ground, but Avan was hurt and his anger had only grown, now filled with murderous intent. Allister tried to calm him down as he held him in place. Allister, being just two years older than Rayhein and of similar height, was able to control Avan easily, who was only nine years old.

 

“Calm down, Avan. Stop this,” Allister urged him.

 

“Let me go. I'm going to kill that bitch,” Avan said as he struggled to break free from Allister's grip, his eyes fixed on the old lady with deathly stares.

 

“Must be nice that we can't blame your mother for not raising you since she's dead, huh, kid? Stay put and mind your own business, you little shit. You and your brother have caused far too many problems for us,” the old lady said with a hateful glee in her eyes.

 

“Auntie, that’s enough. You are crossing the line. Even if you hate us, this is far too much,” a voice said as everyone looked towards the direction. It was Rayhein and Ullie, who was far away but making her way. They were just having some fresh air as they stepped outside the house, and they heard the commotions in the north side of the garden and Avan's loud voices and grunts.

 

“YOU” the old lady said as she approached him.

 

Facing her rayhein looked her dead in the eyes. He was not afraid but far from it. For the first time he felt angry to the core. There was one thing to mess with him but now he adored his family and would step up from them even if they were in the wrong. He heard everything as he had ran to the place. His mother was tailing behind where avan was as both rayhein and the old lady were face to face.

 

“YOU DARE SHOW YOUR FACE HERE.” She said loudly as she grabbed him by the collar and lifted him up with no effort. Ray just watched her with no emotions. A chilling expression on his face.

 

“ASASHIA,” Ullie said in an authoritative tone loudly. It was so loud the entire estate heard it.

 

“Drop my son down. Is this how you treat children?” She said, very angry, looking with her red crimson eyes.

 

In mild frustration, the old lady named Asashia let go of Rayhein. Rayhein took the cue and backed away and let his mother deal with the situation.

 

“Make him learn some manners, Ullie. He had the gall to attack me.”

 

“I will, and keep your hands to yourself. Don’t you dare touch them again,” she said coldly.

The lady turned around and got back to work. A small girl with her apologized furiously as she should have stopped her but couldn't in time. Ullie did not hold the little girl accountable and just told her to be wary of Asashia.

 

Rayhein stood frozen in awe as he watched his mother unleash her terrifying fury. Her eyes, usually warm and caring, now blazed with a fierce intensity. Despite her ferocity, Rayhein knew she only acted this way when necessary, and he couldn't help but feel a sense of admiration for standing up for him and his brother.

 

Turning to Avan and Allister, he lends a hand to avan for support as he was on the ground. However, Avan shoved him aside with such force that Rayhein stumbled and fell to the ground. As he looked up, he saw the hatred burning in Avan's eyes, a clear indicator that he should clear the way. He was far too emotional.

 

"Let me go, Allister. I will not repeat myself," Avan growled at him, his eyes fixed on Allister.

 

Allister released him, and Avan rose to his feet, avoiding eye contact with anyone.

 

Walking away from the group, Avan concealed himself from view as he was far away and no one was nearby. Tears streamed down his face as he wiped them away with the collar of his shirt. This was the second time in his life that he felt such profound heartache. The first was when he witnessed his mother's death with his own eyes, and now, as he felt too weak to defend her honor by the people that she protected no less, he swore he would never let himself be so vulnerable again. He would etch this memory with hatred

 

"Never again," he muttered to himself as he continued on his way.

1