33. Broken resolve: “What am I?”
39 4 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

 

In a room suffused with the gentle glow of a soothing luminescent yellow light, Rayhein's eyes twitched as he gradually regained consciousness. He instinctively massaged his temples and rubbed his eyes, feeling a slight soreness as he opened his crimson-red orbs. The unfamiliar surroundings of the room unfolded before him, its details obscured by a pervasive darkness that seemed to veil much of his vision. The sole source of illumination emanated from a peculiar, bulbous creature resembling a suspended monster, dangling from the ceiling like an ethereal chandelier. Its radiant glow cast an ethereal sheen upon Rayhein's figure, bathing him in its soft light. Yet, despite the faint visibility granted by this mysterious entity, only a small area within a few feet of him came into focus, leaving the rest of the room concealed in shadowy ambiguity.

 

"What happened? Shouldn't I be in the familiar confines of the training barracks?" Gasping in disbelief, he uttered a strained syllable before his words were swallowed by a fit of coughing. Blood gushed from his mouth, staining his clothes in crimson hues, a disturbing contrast against the fabric. Desperately, he tried to contain the flow, his hand shaking uncontrollably as the warm, metallic taste lingered on his lips.

 

Ray's eyes convulsed with agony, the crimson color fading into white strands. His gaze shifted to the object he was sitting on—a red chair. Clutching his chest and abdomen, he struggled to catch his breath, the pain intensifying with each jolt. The vibrant color seemed almost surreal against the backdrop of his suffering.

 

With a vice-like grip, Rayhein clung to his chest and abdomen, as if attempting to hold himself together amidst the mounting anguish. Each breath became a laborious task, his respiration is heavy and strained, each inhalation sending fresh jolts of pain coursing through his battered frame.

 

"The pain is unbearable," he managed to articulate, his voice a strained whisper suffused with torment. Anger flickered in his eyes as he contemplated his recent encounter with the enigmatic dolls. ". I’m going to shove those dolls-" he vowed silently, his thoughts abruptly interrupted by the emergence of two figures from the shadows

 

Stepping into the light. It was the overseer and the asashia, their expressions filled with scorn as if he were a monstrous being. Ray grew even more perplexed by their hostile demeanor. The atmosphere felt bleak as they stood there. Moments ago, he had barely survived a fight with the Reager Stone dolls, and now he found himself face to face with these two, sitting in a dark room. Ray's demeanor shifted, his expression turning cold and distant as they approached.

The overseer, a towering figure, moved closer, casting a shadow over Ray's shoulders.

 

"Why am I here?" Ray asked, his voice devoid of emotion. The overseer sneered slightly, kneeling on one knee to meet Ray's gaze at eye level.

 

"Are you Ivan's son? Or something otherworldly? All I perceive is absolute darkness that predates everything," the overseer said, a small smile forming on his face. He trembled slightly, driven by his past experiences to mask fear with a smile. Ray intrigued him deeply—his glowing crimson eyes conveyed something beyond human comprehension. While others might consider Ray as highly human, the overseer held a different perspective.

 

"I can perceive the world in a manner that defies common understanding. I see people and objects in what I call primordial forms. But why now? Just-" He thought

 

As the overseer observed Ray intently with a deafening silence, he felt an overwhelming sense of dread and terror. His voice cracked as he spoke, his expression transforming into a forced smile. Describing or even contemplating Ray's form seemed to invite death itself.

 

"What is this? I'm trembling in fear. All I sense from him is absolute darkness and nothingness," he said, his gaze fixed on Ray.

 

Ray listened attentively, his eyes widening in disbelief. He had heard similar words before, from the Dark Rift Walker. Composing himself, he interrupted.

 

"I'm tired of your jokes, old man. You've tested me enough. I nearly got kill-" Ray said loudly and furiously with anger before being interrupted by Asashia, who grabbed his neck, choking him. Ray struggled to breathe.

 

"Don't play games," Asashia was halted by the overseer, who broke her hold and released Ray.

"What are you doing?" she exclaimed.

 

"Stop it. He's not dangerous. We already checked, Asashia. Don't torment the kid for past resentments you hold."

 

"His form is what concerns me. No living or non-living entity should possess such a primordial nature. That's my main concern, but let's abandon this facade. There's no point in traumatizing a child over something beyond his control."

 

The overseer stepped back, opening the door.

Asashia remained silent, arms crossed, wearing a scornful expression. She disapproved of the overseer's explanation regarding Ray's essence. It seemed too ominous and dangerous. Sighing, she realized her anger would get the best of her, so she decided to leave the room. A woman rushed in and saw Ray's condition. Kneeling down, she caressed his cheek with warmth and teary eyes.

 

"Are... are you hurt, my son? Are you okay?"

Ray gazed blankly at Ullie's worried face. Her disheveled hair and trembling lips betrayed her anxiety. Her voice quivered as she spoke. Ullie embraced Ray, comforting him with gentle words and caresses.

 

"I'm sorry, Ullie. I'll take full responsibility. I jumped to conclusions. Please forgive me," the overseer apologized, his head bowed.

 

"I understand. I forgive you. Since the migration, I've never doubted you, Overseer, but this time, you went too far. My son was injured, and you resorted to lethal force. Why?"

 

The overseer's gaze fell to the ground, his expression clouded with shame and regret. He could feel the weight of his actions pressing upon him, the realization of his misguided behavior sinking deep into his conscience. In that moment, he understood the gravity of his choices and the impact they had on others.

 

His earlier actions were born out of a deep-rooted fear, a belief that everyone around him was in imminent danger. It was this fear that drove him to act with such aggression and force, convinced that it was the only way to protect those under his care. But now, as he reflected upon the consequences of his actions, he couldn't help but feel a profound sense of remorse.

The overseer's shoulders slumped as he contemplated the harm he had caused. He had let his fear overpower his judgment, blinding him to the potential harm he was inflicting upon others. It was a bitter pill to swallow, realizing that his intentions, though rooted in concern, had led him astray.

 

Ray overheard their conversation and grasped Ullie's hands, trembling himself. Summoning some strength, he said, "Mom..."

 

"I'm fine. Let's just go," he said, his expression bleak and filled with pain, disappointment flickering in his glances towards the overseer. Turning his back on Ullie, he slowly made his way towards the exit. The dark room now stood empty, devoid of sound, as the overseer remained motionless, seated on a chair, contemplating his actions.

 

"I acted hastily and made conclusions big time. What a failure I am, just like before. I never change,"
The overseer's self-condemnation was evident in his muttered words, accompanied by a resentful expression and a bitter smile. He gazed downward, lost in the haunting memories of the migration, a nightmare journey for all high humans. His failures weighed heavily on him, visible in the weariness etched on his face. Remorse and frustration mingled within him, as he grappled with the burden of his past actions.

 

Meanwhile, Avan, arms crossed, leaned against the wall near the entrance. He had overheard Ullie and everyone else "Let me carry you. You're hurt, Ray." Ullie saw Ray leave so she dropped the topic and ran to support him and just carry him since he was in no condition to walk.  Accompanied by his mother Ray with one hand on his chest exited the room.

 

Ullie attempted to lift Ray, but he resisted, saying, "I'm fine."

 

Each step Ray took was accompanied by heavy breaths as he struggled to advance. He paid no attention to his mother's calls and moved past her. Avan blocked his path, standing in the hallway.

 

"I knew something was wrong with you these past months. My big brother, trying to be brave and serious? Bullshit. You're a coward through and through," Avan remarked, his arms crossed.

 

"Avan, mind your language. He's injured," Ullie began before Avan cut her off.

 

"Shut up. You're not my mother. She died years ago, all because this coward couldn't fulfill a single task," Avan shouted, pointing at Ray.

 

Ray halted, his gaze fixated on Avan, a cold and murderous expression on his face. "I'm not in the mood," he said, his voice trailing off. After a pause, he continued, his glare piercing, his hands trembling with anger.

 

"Get out of my way."

 

"I know there's something wrong here. Do you think you can make me?" Avan challenged meeting Ray's gaze head-on. He was about to complete his sentence when Ray landed a concussive strike to his chin, sending Avan reeling backward. Avan managed to hold his ground for a moment before his eyes rolled back, and he collapsed onto the ground, unconscious. Ullie never expected a fight. Ray was always reserved. She couldn’t stop them as Ray didn’t back off this time, but this time, he had knocked out his little brother.

 

"I’m sorry" Ullie her voice filled with sorrow.

 

"I'll heal on my own. He's knocked out cold, and Mom, don't follow me."

 

"Leave me alone," Ray said, casting a glance at Ullie. Her heart ached as she watched him in such pain. She had never seen Ray this desolate and wounded before. Ray coughed, using all his strength to drag himself away.

 

"I'm sorry, Fiona. I'm failing miserably," Ullie whispered softly, her voice filled with regret, as she gently caressed Avan's hair.

 

Ray gazed at the heavy clouds, standing in a serene garden surrounded by tall trees and exotic flowers. The air was alive with the buzzing of insects and the cheerful melodies of birds. It was a place where Ray had always found comfort, a place he cherished.

 

As he looked around, memories of his time on Earth flooded his mind. He remembered his love for insects, especially the pet spiders he used to have. They were his companions, reminding him of the beauty in even the tiniest creatures.

In the midst of this peaceful scene, an insect landed on Ray's hand and then took off, leaving a droplet of water behind. The droplet glistened like a tiny gem, catching the light and adding a touch of magic to the moment.

 

Raising his gaze, Ray saw heavy clouds filling the sky. Suddenly, the clouds released a downpour of rain, drenching him completely. Each raindrop felt like a tear from the heavens as if the sky shared in his sorrow.

 

With a voice filled with uncertainty and sadness, Ray wondered aloud, "Who am I? I don't even know anymore. People see me as a monster, whether human or creatures." His words were carried away by the sound of the falling rain, lost in the intensity of the moment.

 

Rainwater soaked his face and body, mingling with his own tears. He looked down at the murky water pooling around him, feeling a profound sense of loneliness and confusion. His eyes, once vibrant and full of life, now reflected emptiness and a loss of purpose.

 

He expressed his longing in a soft, almost whispered voice, "I just want to go home." The words were simple yet carried deep meaning. His whisper, and his words were lost in the sounds of the pouring rain.

Hi guys. Been a long since I uploaded.  I just got a job so my 9-5 after my internship and I'm am now fully booked. Still adjusting to life but I will never drop this series. Thought the updates will be only on Saturday and Sunday from now on. Thanks for understanding. Have a great day. XD

1