Chapter 10
104 0 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Marie

 

Mia cried. Marie's sister did not yet understand what was going on, but she was alarmed by the hustle and bustle. Marie's father tried to comfort her... Nothing helped.

A large, dark carriage stood in front of her house. It was a stark contrast to the bright façade of the house. Theo was loading Marie's suitcase and talking to the coachman. A young man with a long beard and a long scar on his left cheek. Theo's sister stroked one of the carriage horses and asked her mother if she could have a horse. Her mother quietly said no. Ina protested immediately and listed all the reasons why she urgently needed her own horse. Theo's father brought his son's smaller suitcase out of the house and laughed when Ina promised to feed the horse alone.

Marie was excited. Finally, it started. Finally, her time at the academy began.

"Do you have everything you need?" her mother asked just as excitedly. "Your brush? Soap? Towels?"

"Yes, Mom. I haven't forgotten anything. And if I do, I can buy everything I'm missing in the city."

"I will miss you." Marie's mother wiped a tear from her eyes. "15 years old. My daughter goes to the academy. I am very proud of you. You're going to make a lot of friends. Yes? And write to us every week, please!"

"I'll do Mom." Marie watched as Theo said goodbye to his family. "I write to you every week."

"And not to me?" Her father squeezed her with only one arm, as he carried the screaming Mia with the other arm.

"To both of you."

"Good." Her mother nodded. "You should get into the carriage now. You have a long drive ahead of you. In the carriage, you will find a picnic basket with food and water for you and Theo. And now let's go. The academy is waiting for you."

I can't wait!

 

Julia

 

"Were that all suitcases, Your Highness?" asked Leopold politely.

"Yes, that's all I have. Do you still need to get your suitcases?" Julia watched his wings shake slightly at the question. Is he excited?

"My bag is already in the luggage compartment of the carriage."

"But not mine yet!" Marko ran past them. He was carrying a large brown bag and hurried to the carriage.

Behind the light brown carriage was a luggage wagon, as Julia's suitcases and other luggage did not fit into the storage space of the carriage.

"He just started packing," Leopold told her. "It was pure chaos."

"So bad?"

"Dramatic!" He laughed softly. Leopold had a nice laugh.

Julia laughed too. Was it that bad... What did Marko do? "Where are Sophie and Finn? Are they still packing?"

"No. Their bags are already in the carriage." Leopold watched as Marko clumsily loaded up his bag and grinned in amusement. "I don't know where they are, but they should come soon."

"When it comes to me, they can gladly take forever...", Julia murmured.

Leopold raised his eyebrows. "Forever? Don't you want to go to the academy?"

"Not really, no." Although the three servants now worked in the castle for a few days and would accompany Julia, they were still strangers to her. In the past few days, she had spoken very little to them. Sophie had also kept the three on their toes with various tasks.

Leopold looked surprised. Why is he surprised?  "I'll go take a look at where Sophie and Finn are. I'll be right back, princess," he announced quietly and hurried into the castle.

Her mother and Peter approached her. Lea and Fritz had already left. Peter was still wearing Julia's necklace around his neck.

The queen hugged Julia and pressed a kiss to her cheek. "You will have a good time. I know you will make me proud. Study hard, yes?"

"And no parties in the boys' rooms!" announced Peter, mimicking her mother's tone. "Put on fresh panties every day, wash your feet, and dance around the fountain at three a.m. wearing your nightgown."

"Peter!", hissed the queen.

"Fountain?", asked Julia.

"There will be one somewhere." Peter winked at her. Then he took off the necklace and held it out to her. "I should have given it back to you already, little sister."

"Keep the necklace. It suits you better than me." Julia winked as well. "Babette loves necklaces."

"Especially on me." 

"You two are talking nonsense," her mother reprimanded. "Babette is a lovely girl. She doesn't deserve your ridicule."

"We don't scoff!" Peter pretended to be deeply hurt and put a hand on his heart. "Mother, you offend me! This hits me deeply. My own mother accuses me of mocking. Juliet? How am I supposed to bear this?"

Julia laughed.

"You are impossible Peter." The queen crossed her arms. "Stop this silliness."

Leopold came out of the castle with Sophie and Finn, who seemed frightened as always. Julia watched as Sophie stroked his back as he walked and said something to him. What, she couldn't hear.

"We'd be ready to leave, Your Highness," Sophie turned to Julia as she was within earshot with a slight bow.

 

Marie

 

Theo had fallen asleep. Marie watched from the window as nature, towns, and villages passed her by. She held a jam bread in her hand and did not notice how her jam dripped onto the yellow skirt. In her thoughts, she had long been at the Academy. She took a bite of her bread. Cherry jam. Her favorite jam.

Meanwhile, the carriage drove through the streets of the capital of the witch’s territory. The houses were colorfully painted. People hurried along the streets. It was loud and colorful and wonderful. It couldn't be far from the academy. The academy was located just outside the city.

And from here it is not far from the castle town and the castle. Castle Town is just about two hours away from the capital. Maybe I can see the city on a weekend... If my parents send me enough money for the carriage ride... Why is the castle not located in the capital? I would like to see the castle. The Castle town is also said to be very beautiful. Small and noble.

The dark carriage drove out of the city, along a narrow path and through a large golden gate, and Marie saw the blue roofs and white walls of the academy buildings.

She had arrived.

4