Chapter 13
86 0 5
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Leopold

 

The sun was burning. He clumsily swept the courtyard of the house. It was hot.

 Marko helped the two gardeners employed at the academy to water the plants.

Leopold was bored. Although the work kept him busy, the tasks were usually very monotonous. He had very little free time and in the hours he had, Marko often stuck to him, as Finn appreciated being alone.

Leopold did not make any progress. He had something to do in the city, but he hadn't had an opportunity yet. On behalf of his home village, he was supposed to pick up a package from an old friend of the village elder. An important package. But he could not reach the city without a direct order from the princess. The servants were closely monitored by the staff of the Academy. Without a signed note from Julia with a clear order, he couldn't get out. And without her direct permission, he couldn't get very far from her.

He found it difficult to assess the princess. She was friendly. She was open. She was polite. She was very pretty.

 Her kindness had surprised him. He had imagined her a spoiled brat, but the girl, who was three years younger, was not spoiled. Would she let him go into town if he asked? Should he risk asking? Or would this arouse suspicion? He needed a reason... Sending a letter? No... The academy had its own mailbox and post office. Nobody had to leave the premises... Should he write to his contact? No. The mail of the servants was strictly monitored. There was no privacy... He could not have the package sent to him. The danger was too great that the staff of the post office checked the package. It opened.

That was unthinkable! Unforgivable. The fate of his homeland depended on this package.

Better I wait a little longer...  Perhaps the opportunity will come all by itself.

 

Julia

 

"I have a few more announcements, now at the end of the lesson," said her class teacher, a short, round man with a long beard. he sat on top of his desk. "Please remember that we have a fairy plague here. Please do not leave sweets or sugar open. That would lure fairies into the building, who then steal everything that tastes sweet. And please remember that next week we are celebrating our back-to-school party. The higher classes will offer activities. I heard that one of the graduating classes is planning a water fight. As a student in the entry-level classes, there will be a welcome event for you in the auditorium at ten o'clock. Please all be on time." He packed up his things and went to the door. "As homework, please read pages 23 to 26 of the book. We will write a little review about this tomorrow. I wish you all a nice day."

"A test?" Helga groaned. "I wanted to see the city today. I’m going to learn now, instead..."

"It's just supposed to be a small test. I'm sure you can still go to the city." Julia packed her bag. Next on the timetable was history. The compartment took place in another room at the end of the hallway. Only after the two hours of fencing in the gym would she have her first hour in magic. In another building.

She had to admit to herself that she enjoyed attending classes with others. But she would have preferred to do that without the last subject.

Why can't I be a normal person?

 

Marko

 

Marko noticed Finn watching them from the window. He did not miss the longing look in the eyes of the younger werewolf. He waved to Finn, who waved back shyly and then went back to work.

The watering can have to be filled with water again, so he went to the large water pump that stood in the courtyard.

Marko was restless. Tonight was full moon. And like all werewolves, he longed to run freely through the landscape as a wolf. What should he do tonight?

The water pump jammed slightly. He laboriously pumped fresh water into the jug and went to one of the many bushes. The two gardeners had a relaxed conversation and left most of the work to him. Marko would have liked to tell them his opinion. He felt them watch him disparagingly.

"When you're done," one of the gardeners turned to him, "Then we'll have nothing left for you. Then you can report to the laundry. Or go to  the kitchen... Or wherever else you work, puppy."

Marko’s anger boiled up. Puppy.  Leopold, too, seemed outraged. The elf put the broom aside. "What did you call him?"

"Don't start a fight," warned the other gardener. "You don’t want to get your wings damaged. Right? For whom do you work? The spoiled brat doesn't care what will become of you."

"I'm not a dog and Leopold is not a boy. We work for the princess, in case you need to know. And I'm sure she sees her servants being able to work as important and will not appreciate your behavior," Marko lied. He wasn't sure at all. He just hoped so. The princess seemed very nice and did not treat him like an object. Instead, she let him speak openly, insisting that her servants had time for themselves every night after dinner, and half an hour after lunch.

"The princess?" The gardener, who had called him a dog, laughed. "Why should a princess take care of her servants? She surely has plenty of them in the castle. And now get to work, pooch!"

 

Julia

 

After the history lesson, there was finally a break. The break lasted half an hour and many of the students went to the dining hall, where drinks and small snacks were offered for the breakfast break. Normally, during this time, she always went up to her room and ate something there to escape the hustle and bustle around her. But today she wanted to make friends. Sophie was right. She wanted friends. And it wasn't Helga and Philip, even though she spent time with them. But the way that they talked to her. She didn't like it.

She quickly hurried after the girl with whom she had spoken in the morning. Marie.

Marie seemed nice and open.

"Marie, wait," she called after her, as Marie was already on her way to the dining room with Pia.

Marie stopped in surprise and looked at Julia expectantly. Her seatmate Pia also looked surprised.

"Do you mind if I join you two?"

Pia shook her head perplexed, while Marie nodded eagerly. "No, we don’t mind. Right? Pia?" Marie looked at her friend.

Pia smiled. "Come along, princess. The cheese rolls taste delicious! Or don't you like cheese rolls? There are also other sandwiches..."

"I like cheese rolls. Thank you"

The three made their way together to the large dining room. Pia talked about her two older siblings, who were both mortal and whom she already missed terribly. Marie told me about her little sister and that they didn't yet know if she was a witch or not. Julia listened to them. She became painfully aware of how much she missed Peter. How much she missed his jokes.

They used to dream of going to the academy together. Before Peter had to realize that he was not a magician and Julia realized that she wanted something else for herself.

Later she wanted to write him a letter. And she also wanted to write to Paul and Ingried. Ingried lived in the capital. Maybe she could visit her? Paul lived in a town on the edge of werewolf territory. Unfortunately, that was too far away for a visit.

"What do you like to do in your free time?", Marie wanted to know. "I like to paint."

"I read a lot. Unfortunately, I can't paint at all. And what do you like to do Pia?"

"I paint too. Just like Marie. I don't like reading so much. I hope we don't get more reading homework. First in politics and then ten pages in history."

"I think it would be funny if we were given reading homework in fencing...", Julia objected. In the meantime, they arrived in the dining room. There was a large buffet with sandwiches and drinks. Julia and Pia took a cheese sandwich, and Marie took a pretzel without toppings.

The three talked all the time. Julia noticed that Pia was very strong-willed and Marie very appreciative. The two were very different from Helga and Philip, who generally considered themselves better than the other students. Philip in particular was constantly complaining about the quality of the food, the teaching, and, everything in general. Helga especially did not like the dormitory. Pia and Marie, on the other hand, felt very comfortable at the Academy.

The break ended after some time and the three went to their fencing lesson together, which apparently only Pia was looking forward to.

5