Chapter 16
81 0 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Julia

 

Julia took her brother's letter. She hadn't read it yet. She just opened it. Her gaze wandered over the familiar, slightly scrawled writing. Here and there was a dark ink stain and some of the letters were slightly blurred.

She could imagine him well, sitting at his desk or in the library hastily writing the letter. Julia grinned.

'Hello dearest sister' was written there and Peter had drawn a star next to it. She made herself comfortable on her bed and began to read.

 
   

 

 

'Hello, dearest sister,

I miss you terribly.

Do you enjoy your time at the Academy? Do you already have a favorite subject? Surely it is not magic.

Do you remember when we dreamed of going to the academy together? I wanted to fail all the classes and repeat the school year until we could attend the academy together. I wish I could have pursued this plan. We could play tricks on the teachers together.

Have you already made friends?

Mother forced me to a tea party with witches willing to marry. Babette was there too. It was terrible.  I very much hope I don't have to marry any of them.

When Mother asked me if I liked one, I said no. Truthful. I very much hope she leaves it at that. At least she didn't say anything about it.

But I'm not sure... In the end, she may plan to marry me to Sausage Babette.

That would be terrible. What should I do with Babette?

I cherish your necklace and wear it every day. I think she feels comfortable with me.

I hope to see you again soon.

Your favorite brother.'

Julia laughed. Sausage Babette. She would memorize the name.

Apparently, her letter had not yet reached Peter when he wrote to her.  At least he didn't write anything about it.

She was tired. It had been a long, exhausting day. With her brother's letter on her pillow, next to her head, she fell asleep.

 

Blue-green wings. One kiss. A village. Fire. Her mother's angry eyes. Peter. A bouquet of flowers. Two wolves, one white, the other black, lying in the sun in a meadow. A child with shimmering pink wings, not older than three years. A brown wolf puppy.

 

Julia woke up. A vision? What does it mean?  A glance out of the window told her that the sun was just setting. She heard Sophie singing and pots clattering. Someone laughed. Finn? Yawning, she stood up. She desperately needed fresh air.

Leopold stood in front of her room door and swept. His blue-green dragonfly wings shimmered in the last sunlight. Teal. As in her vision... "Have you slept?" he asked with a smile. Julia liked his smile, even if it always looked a bit reserved. The uniform suited him well. "Your hair is all disheveled."

"Oh." She automatically smoothed her hair. "Yes, I slept." Her eyes wandered to the ground to hide the fact that she was turning a little red. "Thanks for sweeping." Thanks for sweeping? Don't be so clumsy, Julia. He's a servant, forget it...  No matter how good he looks. Mom would go crazy... And he is a servant... I saw a kiss... No, forget it, Julia. "I go outside. Would you like to accompany me?" she still heard herself ask. What are you doing,  Julia...  Leave it.

Leopold looked a bit taken by surprise. "Outside?"

"Yes?" She stroked her hair again. "Once I've put my hair in order..."

"All right. I would like to. I could do with some fresh air."

"All right... I... Uh... I'm just quick to fix my hair."  What was that, Julia?

She hurried into her bathroom and looked at her reflection in the mirror. Hair had come loose from her braid and her cheeks were reddened... How embarrassing.

 

Finn

 

It was too warm under his duvet, but he didn't want to leave the security of his blanket. Sophie hadn't needed his help preparing dinner and had no other tasks for him, so he was in his bed now. The door was opened. Finn made no effort to see who had come in.

"Oh, here you are, Finn," he heard Marko say. "I've been looking for you. Would you like to come outside with me until dinner?"

He shook his head slightly, then remembered that he had pulled the blanket over his head and Marko probably could hardly see how he had shaken the head. Reluctantly, he pulled down the duvet and shook his head again without looking at the other wolf.

"Are you sure? When was the last time you were outside? Really outside and not just with Sophie to get something?"

Never. What if I fall? If someone bumps into me? No, I'm not going out. Not if I don't have to.

„Finn?“

"I don't want to go outside," he whispered, pulling the blanket over his head again.

Then he noticed Marko sitting down on his bed. "And if I say pretty please?"

Finn shook his head. "No." Go away, please.  Marko made him nervous. He was too close.

"And if I promise to take care of you?"

"No."

"Pretty please?"

"No." He felt a hand placed on the blanket. Quite slightly, as if it was barely there.

"That's good, then I'll leave you alone. But it would be good for you to get out." The hand stroked his arm, with the duvet as a thin, protective wall between them. "I'll bring you something."

Then Marko got up and left the room.

He’s going to bring something for me? What should that be?

 

Julia

 

They strolled together through the gardens of the Academy. In the meantime, it had become dark and the only light came from the lanterns. It was cool. The air already smelled of autumn, while the shrubs and rose bushes were still in full bloom. Leopold told Julia about his home village because she had asked him about it.

He told her about the kindness of the elves, of many soldiers, of the beauty of the forest, and of his family, which he missed.

In one of the flowering bushes, they saw a little fairy, with colorful wings, who had stolen a candy somewhere and happily licked it. Fairies did not grow taller than ten centimeters and were as thieving as magpies when it came to sweets. They spoke a language that sounded like a soft beep. So far, no one had been able to learn their language. Fairies usually lived in treetops. There they built their houses from branches, flowers, and leaves. But sometimes they also lived in attics. In the past, it was considered a sign of great luck when a few fairies moved into the house, and sweet milk was offered to them, but they were considered a plague now. They had become very numerous and stole sugar and sweets, which had led to a slight shortage of sugar.

Julia grinned as the little fairy stuck out her tongue and then continued to lick her candy with relish.

"Is that Marko over there?" Leopold pointed to a figure standing somewhat in the shadows. "Does he steal flowers?"

"Looks like it." Marko was difficult to see in the shadows. But what was clearly visible was how he cut off some thin branches of the bushes with a knife and held them like a small bouquet of flowers.

"What does he want with the branches?" Julia shook her head.

"Maybe he wants to give them to someone?" Leopold grimaced. "Hopefully no one catches him."

"We've already caught him."

Now Leopold looked nervous. "Are you going to do anything about it?"

"No. Let's go." They are just flowering branches. Why does he need them? A gift? For whom?

They went a little further and talked about life in the castle since Leopold had now asked her about it in return. He looked surprised when Julia told him about Paul and Ingried.

"They left the castle and gave up their titles?"

"Yes. Mom wanted Paul to marry a witch, but he had fallen in love with a mortal in Castle Town. When Mama tried to force him, he gave up everything and Ingried followed him. Her fiancé, the son of a count, had died in an accident a few months earlier. Nothing kept her in the castle and she was angry with Mother. That was all around eight years ago."

"I'm sorry. Are you still in contact with your siblings?"

"Yes. We write to each other from time to time. But the last time I saw her was eight years ago."

"What a pity. I'm sure you miss her. I feel sorry for you."

"Me too."

"Julia!" someone shouted cheerfully. Julia turned around and spotted Marie, who was rushing to them. A young elf with red hair and freckles followed her. "Good to see you. I wanted to ask you if you would come to town with me tomorrow. Theo," she pointed to her servant, "and I'm looking for a gift for his little sister and... It would be nice if you would come along."

Julia noticed, even though it was dark, how the elf's ears turned red. However, he seemed in a bad mood. Doesn't he want me to come along?

"A gift?" she asked.

"Yes. It was her birthday. Actually, we wanted to send her something for a long time, but we haven't gotten around to buying her anything yet. All the homework! And I'm bad at choosing gifts... And everything Theo can think of is probably too expensive."

"I'm happy to come along, thank you." Julia looked at Theo. "How old is your sister?"

"Ina is four now," Theo replied. "She likes horses."

"But we can't send her one," Marie added with a laugh. "But we don't have any other idea. Are you good at choosing gifts?"

"My siblings never complained. When do you want to leave tomorrow?"

"In the morning," Marie replied. "At eleven? We can meet at the gate."

"That sounds good," Julia agreed.

"Good. See you tomorrow." Marie and Theo went their own way. Leopold, who had been silent the whole time, cleared his throat. "May I accompany you? I would like to see the capital."

"Of course. You are welcome to come along. Let's go in, I'm getting hungry and I'm sure it's late." Why does he have to look so good...

"I'm hungry too," Leopold agreed.

 

Finn

 

Finn heard Marko and Sophie setting the table and talking. Sophie had made pancakes and herb quark for dinner.

The flowering branches that Marko had brought him were in a glass on his small bedside table.

Finn smiled.

 

4