Chapter 4: Situation (The Past).
30 0 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Kaito wallowed in his sulking mood throughout their time at the restaurant, and even on the way home, he remained silent, causing the older man to question the absurdity of it all.

Dealing with a brooding drunk was not Daichi's idea of a good time, so if Kaito refused to speak, why should he bother?

So what if he hadn't mentioned being engaged once, was it really the type of thing to get unreasonably mad over?

Over half of their journey passed without a single word exchanged between them – one focused on the road ahead, the other lost in the darkness outside. Only when they were about to reach Kaito's home did the silence finally shatter.

"Does senior intend on getting back together with that woman?" Kaito's voice broke the stillness.

"What's brought this up all of a sudden?" Daichi asked, his eyes fixed on the road.

"I'm curious now that Miss Nishiyama has returned."

"Her return has nothing to do with me."

"But it does."

Daichi stole a quick glance at Kaito, catching only a glimpse of his handsome profile as the younger man continued staring out the window.

"She certainly seemed interested in reigniting an old flame. So what about you? You once said you saw a future with her."

"That was in the past," Daichi's gaze returned to the road. "And I still don't get what you're so pissed about."

"And senior never will," Kaito muttered.

"I won't unless you explain," Daichi almost scoffed. "And what's with the 'senior' again?"

"Just as you hate being treated as a 'senior,' I dislike being treated like a 'child.'"

He's twisting my words, thought Daichi. "I didn't say I hate being treated as a senior; I simply dislike that way of addressing me. I'm still your senior, and you're my junior. What's wrong with that?"

"There he goes again..."

"Alright, Mr. Hattori," Daichi laughed exasperatedly, shaking his head. "Does that sound better? Is that what you want?"

Kaito glared at him from the corner of his eye, feeling patronized like a child.

Finally, they arrived at Kaito's place. However, when it was time for him to leave, he stubbornly remained seated in the passenger seat.

"What's wrong? Weren't you eager to get away from me earlier?" Daichi raised an eyebrow. "You would've hailed a taxi if I hadn't forced you into the car."

Kaito continued to glare at him in silence.

This brat, Daichi conceded, raising his hand in surrender. "At this point, I don't even know if my words are getting through to you or not. We'll talk once you're sober—"

"You shouldn't get back together with her."

Daichi: "....." Is that so?

Intrigued by the sudden declaration, Daichi leaned against the steering wheel, a smirk playing on his lips. "But she's a kind and beautiful woman. Don't you like her? I thought your inquiry meant you wanted me to pursue her."

"Don't."

"Why? Have you fallen for her?"

"If I say yes, will you stop pursuing her?" Kaito asked resolutely.

Is he serious? the older man wondered. Aoi must be incredibly captivating. To think this kid would fall for her charms so easily...

But there was nothing Daichi could do about it. If Kaito decided to pursue that woman, there would be no reason for him to intervene since they had broken up long ago. Even back then, Daichi had never held strong feelings for her. It had been the same with all his past relationships.

Was that kind of devoted love truly important? Because of these sentiments, people often questioned whether he genuinely cared or not.

"Then go ahead," Daichi leaned back in his seat and gazed outside. "You'd probably treat her better anyway."

Yeah... What does it matter if he chooses her...

"And if I were to pursue you instead?"

"That's..." It took Daichi a moment to grasp Kaito's intention, and the sudden realization caught him off guard. He stared at the younger man in bewilderment.

In a surge of confidence, likely fueled by alcohol, Kaito gently clasped Daichi's hand and brought it to his lips, kissing his knuckles before locking eyes with him.

"I want to chase you."

Utterly bewildered, Daichi thought, Is he so drunk off his ass that he's mistaking me for a woman? This is why I dislike dealing with drunks.

"You know, if anyone else did this to me, I would've already punched them. I'm holding back out of respect since you're my junior," Daichi attempted pulling his hand away, but Kaito's hold around it tightened. "Look, I don't know who you're imagining, but I'd rather not be mistaken for your fantasies."

"And if I'm not?"

"Not what?"

"Mistaking you for someone else," Kaito said, his grip firm as he closed the distance between them, their faces mere inches apart. With his free hand resting on the seat above Daichi's head, his dilated pupils and half-lidded gaze held Daichi's gaze unwaveringly. "If I'm fully aware that it's you, Daichi, right here with me, would you still despise it?"

Daichi's brows raised in surprise, but he maintained his stoic demeanor. Wasn't this junior acting too audacious? How could a few drinks turn someone so brazen?

More importantly, why had he tolerated this behavior for so long?

Illuminated by a nearby street lamp, Daichi caught Kaito's gaze drifting down to his lips before locking with his own.

He saw Kaito's face inch closer, a move he could have stopped the moment the intoxicated punk made a move.

And yet...

Despite his cold exterior, Daichi's heart raced in silent anticipation.

Kaito closed his eyes and tentatively pressed his cool lips against Daichi's. His movements were clumsy, a clear sign of inexperience, but he was mentally prepared to face any consequences, even a slug to the face.

Contrary to his expectations, Daichi's free hand slowly rose and traced along Kaito's jawline, settling at the back of his neck, sealing the tiny gap between their lips before giving a gentle lick— as if in encouragement.

His sudden movements startled Kaito, unprepared for such a positive response. But the younger man quickly recovered as Daichi's tongue parted his lips and swept past his teeth, deepening their connection.

Time seemed to stand still in that moment. Whether it was the lingering effects of alcohol or not, heat spread from Kaito's stomach to his chest. The sensation of Daichi's soft, cool lips on his own felt almost surreal, as if it were all a figment of his imagination.

Daichi's half-lidded gaze finally closed as he surrendered to his growing desire. His fingers tangled into Kaito's soft, dark hair as their lips parted briefly for a breath before diving into another slow, tender kiss.

After a few minutes of exchanging breaths, their foreheads pressed together, they gazed into each other's passionate, half-lidded eyes, their breaths coming in soft pants.

Kaito made as if to lean in again, but this time Daichi stopped him by placing a palm over his lips.

"That's enough," his tone carried a firmness.

As Kaito pulled Daichi's hand away, he held it and kissed it, asking, "Hate it?"

"...No," Daichi's voice unexpectedly softened. "I just don't trust you in this state. For all I know, you might wake up tomorrow and claim to not remember a damn thing. I need you sober."

"I won't forget."

"I'd rather we waited until then," Daichi insisted. "If you can still remember what happened today, then we'll talk."

There was silence for a while before the younger man nodded, whispering, "Alright."

***

The following morning, Kaito Hattori woke up with a pounding hangover. He regretted his irresponsible drinking before the weekend.

Should I just take a sick leave? he wondered, his reflection in the bathroom mirror looking dreadful.

His head throbbed. He usually handled his liquor well, but he had clearly gone overboard yesterday.

And for what? Jealousy?

Moreover, he vaguely recollected bits and pieces of making out with Daichi in the car yesterday...

SPLASH~

After splashing his face with cold water several times, Kaito stared at the water flowing down the sink, lost in deep contemplation.

What had really happened yesterday? Why did his fuzzy memories of Daichi not resist? He could have easily punched Kaito, or pushed him away effortlessly.

"Maybe I'm imagining it, but why do I recall him responding to my kiss?" Kaito traced his lips, feeling his heart race.

Unless... Daichi was also drunk...

He could recall the sweet taste of alcohol on Daichi's lips, which was like a magnet as it drew Kaito in for more. The intoxicating taste of Daichi's tongue as it slid against his own...

Kaito flinched and smacked his head. This wasn't the time to dwell on those thoughts. He couldn't indulge in reminiscing about that moment while Daichi was probably seething with anger.

Yeah, sure, but could someone please tell that to his 'little brother' below? Kaito couldn't believe he had gotten aroused just by recalling a kiss, and he covered his face in shame.

This... this is normal. Just a natural bodily reaction for a hot-blooded young man!

If the mere thought of Daichi caused such a reaction, how was he supposed to face him in the future?

...

"YOU WHAT?!"

Jiro stared at his best friend in utter disbelief. The bombshell Kaito had just dropped left him completely bewildered.

It was early morning, and the two of them were the only ones at the bakery. They had already changed into their work clothes and were getting ready to open the shop when out of nowhere, Kaito confessed about something that had happened the day before.

Tsk, and right after this guy shamelessly proclaimed about not having any feelings for his 'senior'. Bullshit!

But the real concern was, "He didn't hit you? I thought he was straight, especially after you mentioned how that woman from yesterday is actually his ex."

Kaito ran a frustrated hand through his hair. "I don't know. Maybe he did hit me, but I can't remember. I was so out of it."

"What are you going to do now?" Jiro crossed his arms, trying to wrap his head around the situation. "If he didn't appreciate what you did, your friendship with him could be ruined."

"Even so, I have to apologize," Kaito said, his head drooping low and his hands clasped in front of him. "At least that way, he might not dislike me as much."

Seeing the guilt-ridden expression on his friend's face, Jiro's planned retorts faded away. He sighed in exasperation and rubbed his temples, feeling powerless to help.

"Come on, man, cheer up. Maybe we're blowing this out of proportion, and he didn't take it so seriously," Jiro comfortingly patted Kaito's head. "It was just a kiss; I'm sure no real harm was done."

Kaito fell silent for a moment before speaking softly, "I read somewhere that being taken advantage of by another man is a blow to a straight man's self-esteem..."

Jiro: "........."

How was he supposed to respond to that?

"Um, well," Jiro awkwardly scratched his head, searching for the right words. "I'm not sure how true that is, but... it can't be that terrible..."

"What would you do if some drunk guy suddenly kissed you?"

"Some rando kissing me? I'd have sucker-punked the bastard—" Jiro abruptly stopped himself, realizing the situation. It was too late; he had already revealed his genuine reaction.

Kaito buried his face in his hands, wishing he could disappear.

"B-But you're not just some rando," Jiro tried to soothe the tension. "You've been close with him for, like, two months, so..."

But was a mere two months enough to make such a move? It would be different if Kaito were a girl, but he wasn't.

"It's all right, Jiro. You don't need to explain anymore," Kaito spared his friend from his misery. He already understood what needed to be done.

~~~~~~

3