Boo!
50 2 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"BOO!" I jumped out from the shadows in my ghostly costume.

 

"UWAAHAHAH!" My friend Jenny screamed as she stamped her foot on the ground, grinding that spot a few times. "Dammit! That scared me!"

 

"Hahaha." My other friend Kyle and I both laughed.

 

"Aren't you too jumpy these days?" Kyle teased.

 

"I can't help it. It's close to Halloween...plus I binge-watched too many horror classics last night." Jenny grimaced in regret.

 

"So did you figure out what you will be wearing for Halloween?" I asked Jenny as I wrapped my arm over her shoulder, but she seemed to have ignored me...maybe because she was still angry at me for scaring her.

 

"So what costume you gonna wear for the party?" Kyle asked as he stared towards me and Jenny with a grin on his face. Kyle's probably asking Jenny since anyone can tell that I'm in a ghost costume.

 

"I'll be dressing up as a werewolf." Jenny replied as she massaged her shoulders. "Gosh, must be tired from working on my costume all week long...my shoulders are sore and heavy."

 

"That's great--" Kyle replied.

 

"What about you, Kyle? What will you dress up as?" I interjected.

 

"I'll be going as a mummy. Easy and simple to make."

 

"Haha." Jenny and I both laughed.

 

"Typical Kyle." Jenny smirked.

 

"Agreed." I nodded.

 

"Anyways, let's go. We also need to get to that other place before we go to the party." Kyle urged.

 

At the mention of the 'other place', Jenny immediately fell silent. Kyle also grimaced as if he had said something that he shouldn't have said. I wondered about what this 'other place' was and kept bugging them, but they just kept quiet and continued on their way. Must have been something serious...how come I don't remember anything like that? With no answers, I resignedly followed them. Finally, we arrived at a cemetery. Is this the place? Wow! Spooky...not, is this why they were being so serious a moment ago? They trying to frighten me with a cheap scare like going through a cemetery? Ha! Child's play.

 

"Here we are. Let's get this over with." Jenny sighed.

 

"Hey, hey, no need to sigh about this. You're just trying to force me to go with you guys on this test of courage right? Being so serious ain't the right direction to go. You gotta set the mood." I exclaimed. At this time, I was getting a bit annoyed.

 

"Just past those tombstones Jenny...and then we'll be there. Just one quick look and we'll be out of here in no time." Kyle reassured.

 

"Hooh...over there eh? I'll go ahead and see what you have in store for me. Haha, I'll bet you'll try to scare me by putting up a tombstone of me, haha." I smirked as I went ahead. They didn't seem to stop me, so I guess they already realize that the cat's out of the bag and they're just trying to keep the game in play. Hmmph, useless. Can't scare me.

 

I walked up to the place that they indicated and lo-and-behold, I was right. There was a tombstone with my name on it. They must have put in a lot of effort, I'll give them that. The tombstone read:

 

In Loving Memory

Of

 Benjamin Kingsley

Friend & Family

1992-2008

 

May He Rest In Peace

 

"Real funny guys. I already expected that you would do something like this...guys?" I replied as I saw them head over as well. They walked up to the tombstone and Jenny suddenly burst in tears. Huh? What's wrong? I was just about to ask when Kyle told Jenny that she shouldn't cry so much. That Ben wouldn't want her to feel that way. After all, his death wasn't her fault.

 

"Wait! What? My death? Guys, that's not funny anymore. Quit it." I said as I approach the two friends of mine and reached out to grab them.

 

What happened next shocked me...my hand reached out to grab Kyle...but it went through him! What?! What's going on?! I tried to steady myself as I looked around frantically. My body faded out for a bit before coming back. Was this a hidden cam? Special effects? Ugh! My head suddenly started hurting. I reached out and held my head in pain when suddenly, memories flashed in my mind.

 

It was that Halloween in 2008, I was teasing Kyle and Jenny as usual...saying stuff like how Kyle's costume makes him look different that what he had intended and Jenny looked ultra lame in her costume. We were near the road when Jenny got angry and ran off. As she tried to cross the road, a truck came speeding forward. Upon seeing the truck, Jenny froze in place. She was so frightened that her legs couldn't move. Seeing Jenny's predicament, I lunged forward and pushed her out of the way. The truck...it crashed into me!...No...the pain...I...I-I died.... Then....

 

*******

 

Flashback....

 

A spider came crawling towards Jenny. Jenny just so happened to see it near her leg. Usually, Jenny wasn't scared of spiders, but because she saw the Terror of the Mutant Spiders last night, she was unusually scared of them.

 

"UWAAHAHAH!" Jenny screamed in terror as she stomped on the spider, grinding her foot a couple of times to make sure it was dead. "Dammit! That scared me!"

 

"Hahaha." Kyle laughed as he teased Jenny. "Aren't you too jumpy these days?"

 

"I can't help it. It's close to Halloween...plus I binge-watched too many horror classics last night." Jenny grimaced in regret.

 

"So what costume you gonna wear for the party?" Kyle asked as he stared towards Jenny with a grin on his face.

 

"I'll be dressing up as a werewolf." Jenny replied as she massaged her shoulders. "Gosh, must be tired from working on my costume all week long...my shoulders are sore and heavy."

 

"That's great...I'll be going as a mummy. Easy and simple to make." Kyle replied.

 

"Haha, typical Kyle." Jenny smirked.

 

"Anyways, let's go. We also need to get to that other place before we go to the party." Kyle urged.

 

At the mention of the 'other place', Jenny immediately fell silent. Kyle also grimaced as if he had said something that he shouldn't have said. It was a serious matter, and it just ruined the cheerful mood between the two friends. They just kept quiet and continued on their way. The two finally arrived at their destination - a cemetery.

 

"Here we are. Let's get this over with." Jenny sighed.

 

"Just past those tombstones Jenny...and then we'll be there. Just one quick look and we'll be out of here in no time." Kyle reassured.

 

As they approached the tombstone, Jenny suddenly burst in tears. Kyle immediately comforted Jenny and told her that she shouldn't cry so much. That Ben wouldn't want her to feel that way. After all, his death wasn't her fault.

 

*******

 

Present time....

 

"It's okay Jenny. It's okay." Kyle replied as he hugged Jenny and patted her head.

 

"But...." Jenny replied.

 

"It's been a year since Ben died. I'm sure he has moved on by now. You should try to move on as well." Kyle reassured.

 

"O-okay. You're right."

 

"Come, wipe those tears,  we got a party to attend and some candy to eat."

 

After a few more minutes of silent sobbing, the two got up and left. I stared off in the distance, my mind dazed and my eyes blurred. I...I'm dead...it's over a year.... So...why haven't I moved on? What am I regretting? Could it be...I have not forgiven Jenny? I stared off into the distance to where Kyle and Jenny was and a grin appeared on my face. I think I know what I should do...it sure is lonely being a ghost.

3