1. Daddy & Daughter Disagreement
906 1 14
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The dinner table was a solemn event in the Miller household. Wes had tried to make an effort since his wife Katherine passed away two years ago, but it didn’t matter how good the food was. With just Wes and his daughter Stacie at the table, the missing seat was always going to be felt.

 

Wes did attempt to make conversation, however.

 

“So, I got an email from the school saying that Homecoming is next week.”

 

Stacie purposefully filled her mouth with food to delay having to respond.

 

“And? Those dances are just a way of enforcing hierarchy onto classically oppressed students.”

 

“What do you mean? Your mom and I’s first real date was to a school dance.”

 

The goth teenager shrugged in response.

 

“Okay, then. Well if you want to spend any more time with Courtney this month then I think you should go.”

 

“What!?”

 

“Trust me. You’ll regret not going to school dances when you’re older.”

 

“You’re going to hold my girlfriend hostage to make me go to a straight couple pageant?”

 

“There’s plenty of stuff around the house we’ve both been pushing off. If you don’t go to the dance like the other girl’s your age then maybe you wouldn’t mind getting your hands dirty with chores.”

 

“Oh, so this is about me being a lesbian. Homophobia’s a great look, dad.”

 

“No! I’m not being homophobic, I just think it could be fun for you to explore yourself outside of…”

 

“Outside of what? How dyke-ish I am? Or are you back on my hair again?”

 

“That black dye has to be damaging. Aren’t kids your age dying your hair blue now?”

 

“Alright, I’m full.” Stacie pushed her chair back, leaving her half-eaten plate on the table.

 

“Stacie, sit back down.”

 

“No! I’m not going to be berated, again, for how I live my life.”

 

“While you live in my house and eat my food, you have to follow certain rules, young lady.”

 

“Why should I respect your rules when you have no respect for me?”

 

“You’re my daughter. I expect you to act like it.”

 

“What dad? You want me to be one of those airheads whose extracurricular is sucking dick under the bleachers?”

 

“That’s it. You’re grounded.”

 

“Good. At least now I won't have to go to that stupid dance.”

 

Stacie began to storm off towards the stairs up to her room but paused.

 

“You know, when mom died, part of me hoped that maybe you’d finally stop being such a bigot. Guess I lost two parents instead of one.”

 

Stacie started again up the stairs as Wes shouted after her.

 

“Jesus Stacie. Why can’t you just act like a normal girl?”

 

The teen threw her dad the bird without turning around. “I’ll consider it when you stop being an arrogant straight man.”

14