Chapter 35
147 1 5
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"So... what's the verdict, Chief?"

Lori and I sat on a sofa across from Tarrant's workbench, watching as the artificer examined the dagger the burglar had left behind.

The workshop was filled with the sound of clanging metal and whirring gears as all kinds of gadgets and gizmos steamed and hissed. Tarrant wore green overalls over a blue shirt, covered in all types of Inspector Gadget-type devices. The smell of water vapor and smoke hung heavy in the air, yet somehow, it felt homey to me.

I shifted in my seat, letting out a small yawn that stretched my jaw wide open — which earned a chuckle from Lori.

"There's no real calling card to speak of on this dagger. That is — nothing that would give us a clear lead on who sent the thief," Tarrant finally said. He picked up the knife the thief had left behind and turned it over in his hands. "However, the craftsmanship is exceptional. Clearly, this was made by a master artisan for a very particular function."

As Tarrant spoke — he held the dagger in his hand; it glowed bright silver against the light of his lamp. He definitely seemed impressed by the weapon.

"This blade is forged from high-grade Korvian steel, with a thin coat of mithril alloy," he explained as he stood up and walked over. He handed the blade to us, pointing to a faint blue tip. "The tip is coated with a mana-disrupting netherite layer, and the weapon was built for penetration. It would have pierced through a simple single-layer barrier spell like a hot knife through butter. That is to say — your would-be burglar was more than prepared for a potential confrontation with a sorceress."

Lori and I shared a look as Tarrant finished speaking. I was more than glad Lori could jump in and deflect it — otherwise, I could have gotten seriously injured. I leaned into her briefly and gave her a light hug, which caused her to jolt for a second in surprise.

"This dagger alone won't help us figure out who was responsible. However — whoever they are... they definitely have considerable resources. This thing is a work of beauty, and it probably didn't come cheap," he said while tapping the blade lightly on my shoulder.

"Mmm. Guess we'll keep this for now, Chief!" Lori perked up. She held the dagger with a mischievous grin before shoving it into a satchel.

Tarrant frowned thoughtfully. "Well then, if you don't mind my asking: what do you two plan on doing now?"

"I'm not sure if it will be possible to catch her at this point," I said softly, shaking my head with a sad smile. "All we can do is to continue living life one day at a time. With our parents missing, their burdens are going to fall squarely on our shoulders."

He smiled wryly before pointing his hand at a machine near him. "Then how about some tea, and let's talk business? You did say you have another proposal for me, knife and mystery assailant aside."

I heard a whirring noise and then the sound of water pouring. Then, a cup and saucer floated up and landed in front of me on a table in front of the couch. Steam rose from the liquid inside, and a fragrant, herbal scent filled the air. I took the offered cup and sipped the warm drink, savoring the taste of... cinnamon? Lemon ginger? Something in between? Whatever it was, it tasted amazing, and I really liked it.

"Thank you!" I exclaimed happily. I quickly drained half of the cup's contents and set it aside.

"Anyway, you are correct. I have a few ideas for inventions that I think might be useful, and I already have some basic, scientifically sound plans. However, I will need your help translating it to actual practical devices. You're an engineer, so surely you understand what it takes to make something like that happen," I said with a hopeful tone.

Tarrant looked at the table where he was sitting. "Well! If the theories check out, it wouldn't hurt to try. If you want to start by showing me what you've got, I'm willing to listen."

I nodded eagerly and reached into the bag slung over my shoulder. Then, I pulled out a thick stack of paper bound with twine — notes I'd spent all night working on.

"So the first idea I have is for a device that can cool things down. It's like how iceboxes work, but using a different method," I explained as I spread out the papers on the table. "The heart of the device is a 'compressor.' It would use a substance I'll call a 'refrigerant' which can absorb heat from the inside of a new mechanical ice box and then release it outside it. The medium would be a gas when it absorbs heat and a liquid when it releases heat."

Tarrant nodded as he listened, his eyebrows furrowed in thought. "Interesting. Please continue!"

"That's where the compressor comes in," I replied. "This device pumps the gas through a system of pipes, increasing the pressure of the refrigerant and causing it to heat up. As the gas heats up, it would release the heat it has absorbed and turn back into a liquid."

I'd drawn out a crude Coefficient of Performance diagram, conventions based on what I could remember from chemistry courses in college.

"Fascinating for certain!" Tarrant said, tapping his chin. "You'd be exploiting Giejotanc's Fourth Law. How do you propose to make this substance change states like that?"

"I was thinking we could find a way to store energy and release it, or maybe even a hand crank if we wanted to keep it simple for prototyping," I suggested, pointing at a diagram. "I came up with my own shorthand to sketch out the idea, and I'll formalize it under common notation later. The important thing is the refrigerant and a device process of heat transfer. That's what makes the basic concept work."

Tarrant nodded thoughtfully. "It's certainly an intriguing idea. I'll need some time to think about the specifics and see if it's possible to build a prototype, but it is a fascinating concept for certain."

I grinned, excited at the prospect of turning a complex idea into a reality. "Thank you, Tarrant! I can't wait to see what we can come up with together. Anyway, the next thing I—"

*Clap, clap, clap*

A sudden giggle and clapping noise cut me off mid-sentence.

We all turned around and saw a woman walk out onto the workshop floor from the shadows.

Lori instantly jumped up and took a defensive posture, her hand on her sword hilt with narrowed eyes; however, Tarrant held her back, staring intensely at the newcomer.

"Tarry, Tarry, my dear boy. It's been too long!" the stranger — a woman exclaimed as she approached us with a smug grin on her face.

The woman was human-looking, incredibly beautiful, tall, and slender, with long snow-white white hair tied into a single braided ponytail. She wore a brightly colored blue robe with gold trimming and high heels, styled like some of the foreigners from the Empire I'd spotted around town. Her skin was pale white, her features sharp and beautiful, and she looked to be in her mid to late twenties. The woman's body language was relaxed, serene, and open, with gentle ocean-blue eyes. Yet, my instincts screamed at me to run away from the workshop and never look back.

"Hello, Eda. What brings you here today?" Tarrant asked with a visible flinch. He looked at an array of glowing lines on the wall in frustration with a scowl. Then, he took a step toward her with a forced smile on his face.

"Why, what else but to meet my finest student, of course," she answered. Her voice was smooth, calm, and elegant. "It has been far too long since you last visited your grandmother..." Eda continued with a wistful tone.

Wait. Grandmother?

"Ah, yes, of course," Tarrant said to Eda facetiously, "She was quite the repugnant and overbearing woman from the day she took me in, I recall. One whose presence only reminds me of trampled lives and cruelty. Yes — that's it exactly. Thank you for reminding me. Now, if you don't mind, you should be on your way back out that door. There's work to be done and not much time to accomplish it, after all."

Eda raised an amused eyebrow at the elf's words, but she didn't seem offended by them. Instead, she walked closer to us, smiling broadly. "Oh, I don't mind at all."

Her steps were measured and graceful. She moved swiftly, but not blindly quick. I stared at herr mesmerized, and somehow in another two steps, she covered the distance between us before I knew what had happened. She placed a hand on my shoulders like a mother greeting a child with a devilish smirk. I blinked, looked up to scowl at her, and instinctively slapped away her hand.

"Hello! You must be Alice."

Before I could blink twice, Lori drew her sword and lunged forward with a sharp swing, stopping a millimeter from Eda's throat.

"Lori!?!" I shouted almost out of habit at this point, but Lori ignored me and stood alert, glaring daggers at Eda.

The woman stared blankly at Lori with a bored look, utterly unfazed by the threat.

"Listen, old hag. Whatever you want with Alice, you can kindly shove it where the sun doesn't shine. Leave us alone, Overseer."

Lori's grip tightened on the sword, but there was a... noticeable tremor. Eda simply tilted her head slightly to the side to reflect the light with an eerie sheen. She looked down at Lori with a mischievous smile as Lori stared defiantly up at her.

"Four imaginary cores. The pinnacle of Divine Artifacts. Forged, tempered, and quenched with the blood and bones of a dragon, given willingly. A blade made to slay virtually anything, gifted to your ancestor, the Tyrian Storm. And here you are, trembling in front of an old lady who bears no weapons?" she mused; her voice was soft and gentle but laced with a condescending undertone.

Eda chuckled, brushing a finger over one of the four runes in apparent admiration.

"Now, now. It would serve you best to make a better first impression, little lady. You should know better than to draw steel against an elder. We both have our positions; you will respect mine. Understood? Good. Put the sword away before you hurt yourself, little girl."

But Lori didn't listen. She continued to glare at Eda with an intense, defiant stare.

"Lori, stop — please. It's fine," I whispered softly. "Let's all try to stay civil here, alright?"

I wasn't sure why, but I felt something off about the woman. It was the same for Lori, and her gut instincts were much keener than mine, from what I've seen. Lori had to feel very uneasy as well right now.

Tarrant gave her a slight nod in acknowledgment, and after a moment, Lori slowly lowered her sword and returned it to its sheath.

"Tsk," Lori muttered halfheartedly, her gaze still locked on the stranger. "Not like you wouldn't just come back to harass us if I cut you down, anyway."

"Not to worry. It's quite understandable. I must applaud you — Not many would be brave or stupid enough to raise a sword at Eda Eschathos," she replied with a sardonic, haughty laugh. "I do apologize for startling you, though. I didn't mean to alarm anyone."

"Save it. I'm well aware of who you are and what you do. Just like anyone else who doesn’t live underneath a rock," Lori snapped.

Eda gave her a polite curtsy. "Of course. But you shouldn't let it bother you. I have no interest in bringing harm to you or anyone here. I am simply an old woman here to visit family on her off time. Surely, you can understand that?" she said, her voice continuing to hold a soothing, melodic tone.

Tarrant scoffed and adjusted his top hat. "Yes. Of course. Eda Eschathos — One of the highest-ranking ministers in the Empire. The Overseer of the Moiroy and the world's foremost expert in demonology and the Sea of Imagination. Here. In a backwater trade city in the immediate aftermath of a demonic incursion to visit her former stray. All the way out here with a veritable army of agents... while the Empire is in the middle of a power struggle and succession crisis. Please accept my deepest apologies if I think you're a bag full of troll dung. Or whatever the term is to describe someone like you."

Eda chuckled lightly at Tarrant's words. "Oh, my dear, dear boy, you wound me. That was called for, for certain. But, I assure you, my intentions are pure. Though, you may find this hard to believe, but my heart is filled with nothing but goodwill towards you and your merry band of adventurers."

Tarrant rolled his eyes, counting down across his fingers. "As if I haven't heard every one of those platitudes a million times. Why don't we skip the pleasantries and get to why you've come here — and quickly? This isn't a social call and we all know it here."

"Of course, my dear boy; of course. I was merely being polite, anyway. At the very least, I have the courtesy to wait until after the rites to approach you and your lot," Eda answered with a widening smile.

"You won't leave until you tell me why you're here," Tarrant answered, slouching back into a slump. "So, you might as well say what you came to say. Speak your piece, and go back to wherever the hells you crawled out from."

"Ahaha, such a delightfully rude boy! Such spirit. Well, if you insist. Let's see, where shall we begin? First of all, there was my original reason for coming. It is in fact, only tangentially involved with the succession crisis. My primary concern is the matter of high-ranking adventurers and military assets alike going missing. As you have no doubt figured, that includes Lady Ellineau at the top of our priority list. Yes. All across the Empire, the Kingdom, and the surrounding nations. Simply gone — as if they vanished into thin air."

Lori furrowed her eyebrows, and her expression contorted into an angry frown. Seeing her reaction, Eda swept her eyes over the two of us almost sympathetically.

"Retired and ahem, pardon me, domestic as they may be now — I doubt your parents would be captured unwillingly without a considerable amount of damage to the landscape. There has now been an alarming uptick in reports of high-ranking missing adventurers and professional soldiers. Even my finest Klios agents in the Moiroy are counted amongst the victims. The men and women that work for Moiroy have ferreted out a great deal of information, and investigating the nature of their disappearance is my primary concern. Which, brings me here to this quaint little city and your workshop proper."

"Are you implying that you think we have something to do with it?" Tarrant asked bluntly.

Eda paused thoughtfully for just long enough, before outright laughing at him: "Heavens no. Nothing like that; don't be ridiculous. Of course, not. We are still trying to get our heads wrapped around this problem. My visit to you today involves gathering information I believe will help lead to the whereabouts of the missing people. Many things are happening right now, so I must confess that my current suspicions rest solely on incomplete data and guesswork. Please, indulge me and let me finish."

She turned her attention toward me, giving me a slight grin.

"Now, there was another thing of great import today," she began in a completely different tone than she had used in her first explanation of her purpose. It was gentler and less haughty — almost nostalgic even. I didn't understand how she did it, but she looked at me in a gentle yet intimidating way. "My men have heard stories of the child mage who orchestrated the destruction of the Champion at the head of the incursion. A child - no older than sixteen summers by all accounts. We are most curious to know if the rumors are true. After all, all of our information points to the profile of a certain young prodigy from the kingdom's Royal Academy of Magic."

I squirmed under Eda's scrutiny, like some sort of strange bug trapped in a glass box, struggling against its confines with no hope of escape. I wanted to avoid getting roped into more trouble than was worth here.

Thinking quickly, I answered her: "Umn, Miss Eschathos. I am afraid rumors can be greatly embellished and exaggerated. People attribute far too much to one individual when it was the combined efforts and sacrifices of countless adventurers that day that brought the creature down. That said, my abilities certainly played a role in destroying the monster you mentioned, and it would be foolish of me not to acknowledge my role in it. But, I would not claim that what I did was anything special or impressive."

Eda observed me for several moments before answering back: "Oh? Not impressive at all? That was far from the answer I'd expected. Tell me— do you think you could have done better? With the same tools you had and the knowledge you wielded as your own?"

I swallowed thickly. She didn't seem like the kind of person to be satisfied by a simple answer.

I bit my lip before answering her question with a curt reply:

"No."

"Then, you should have no problems admitting your achievements to the world, should you not? It does not hurt to have a reputation for yourself — especially in these uncertain times for your family. Fame will certainly open doors for you, should you wish them opened."

At that, I shook my head. "That's quite alright, thank you. However, I have no interest in seeking out fame or fortune. I'm content with the day to day life I can make do with now, with the friends and family I have. I have no desire to change that — not at all."

Eda grinned at me and began to play with her hair in a way that almost seemed childish.

"Hm. You're a very unusual child, Alice Liddell. Most with a background such as yours are desperate to gain the favor of powerful people in the world. To have the respect of others. And yet, you seem entirely unconcerned with any of that. Do you not like the idea of becoming more famous than the mages of old?" she asked. "Or perhaps you'd prefer the company of commoners rather than nobles?"

"I— I'm not interested in gaining the admiration of strangers, either commoner or noble. I'm perfectly happy with who I am," I replied with an awkward shrug.

In response, she giggled loudly at me. "How terribly amusing. So, you have accomplished so much at such a young age. Yet, you are not after glory, money, nor the love of the masses. Then pray tell, what do you seek from this life? What do you want to accomplish in your lifetime?"

Eda seemed to be waiting for me to respond, but I couldn't find words fast enough to fill the silence between us.

Her voice picked up again to surprise me as she gave me a smug smirk, "And, given what you'd just said — why go to such depths in your research? Why oh why ever did you write such a fascinating, passionate research paper on Imaginary Space Normalization? To counter a transcendent ability — defined by countably infinite numbers utilized by elementals, demons, and the very gods themselves? Why was it published, then quietly withdrawn and brushed underneath a rug? Surely the spell you performed against the Knave of Hearts was a practical application of your theory you'd enacted?"

That threw me for a loop; if she knew that already, why bother with all the pretense?

"Alice," Lori finally spoke up. "You don't need to say anything.

For some reason, I blurted out a knee-jerk response.

"I don't understand. How did you find out about that...?"

"I told you child; my agents have gathered a great deal of information — including the first two drafts of the scroll you left as your senior thesis in your third year. We also know, unfortunately, that a thief made off with the completed version before we could contact you. That was my mistake for paying heed to sanctity with regards to the mass funeral."

I took a deep breath. This woman was dangerous and one of those high-ranking government and military types. The best thing for me to do was to end the conversation here.

But I felt I could defuse this in a way that satisfied her. I just had to be honest with myself.

I glanced over to Lori, who was standing beside me. She was watching me with concern, but she wasn't going to try to stop me if I continued this conversation. If anything, she was probably relieved that this woman was willing to listen to me on even ground instead of trying to bully me or threaten me.

The silence stretched between us, and I stared at her with soft, earnest eyes back into Eda's fierce blue. I thought of my biggest regrets in my previous life and the small comforts I'd found here. An idea welled up from the depths of my being and answered for me.

"Love, and loss." I blurted out, "It sounds childish. But, that is what drives me at my core. My soul itself I would say. Safety and the pursuit of happiness for those around me. To protect and preserve what I can cherish in the world."

I was still on guard, but I answered her.

Eda recoiled in surprise and frowned, then turned her head away from me for just a moment while she pondered my answer. Her eyes looked out at the door as though she recalled something important — then she looked back again towards me. For a brief moment, her eyes flashed with grief and sorrow. Then, they snapped back to normal. Her expression seemed unreadable to me. She had concealed whatever emotion slipped through her visage for a brief moment.

"Please continue. It sounds like you have more to say," I said softly while reaching out to Eda, hoping she wouldn't hear the quiver in my voice.

She shook her head while recoiling back, "Not quite. Well, that is a motivation I understand far too well. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt. That... you are a simple girl who wants no more than to live a simple life. Driven by love. That is a motivation I can very well understand. Or, maybe you are simply a good actress. Either way, I won't expect nor will I push any deeper today. I am satisfied with the answers I’ve found here."

I was silent in response to her comment.

Eda's lips curled in amusement. "I suppose we must leave most things to imagination. In fact, it might be best if you let your actions speak for your intentions. After all; I do believe what matters is what you do and not what you think at the end, no?"

I swallowed hard and nodded. "That may be true. I can only hope that my choices will be wise ones. That I will make decisions that pave the correct road for the future I wish to see. I didn't want to fight that day, nor do I now. But, I would do it again in a heartbeat."

Her amused smile grew wider. "Aha, so you admit to having agency and a choice at all in the greater scheme, child. That is promising."

With that, she turned past me towards Tarrant and clapped him on the shoulder. Tarrant glared at her as she spoke to him in a low tone. "Now, my dear Tarry, please do not be so hasty to dismiss me. We have not spoken in many years, and I would like the opportunity to catch up. There are many questions that I have been meaning to ask you."

Tarrant scowled. "Save it, ma'am. You have not been welcome under my roof for a long time, and I request you keep your nose out of our affairs where possible. For all the good that request will do us."

Eda laughed and rolled her eyes. "Of all the cheeky little bastards. Oh, I've missed this. It feels like old times, doesn't it? Just like when you used to be so excited to come home every night. Now look; you're a grown and bitter man with an adopted family of your own. You are the picture of a happy man," Eda said with a sly grin.

"As if you know anything about the matter," he retorted coldly. "Now, if you're satisfied with what you've found here, get out of my workshop."

She stepped away from him and stood directly by my side. Then, she leaned in close to whisper: "Little Alice. Be wary of wolves that lurk in the dark ahead. They may look like sheep, but when you least suspect it — they will tear you apart."

Then, Eda stepped back to address Lori as well, "I wish you the best of luck in your endeavors, little heroes. The intersection of the Liddell and Ellineau line will be quite fascinating to see bloom."

Then, without another word or glance in my direction, she swept out of the room. Tarrant watched her go, his face twisted in a maelstrom of negative emotions. When she was gone, the tension in the air dissipated as quickly as it had arrived.

Lori and I exchanged glances. She was staring at me with wide, worried eyes. "What in the flaming hells was that?" she asked.

"I don't really know. But, I strongly suspect she already knows something about the disappearance of erm… our parents." I replied quietly.

Tarrant grunted. "I'm sorry about her — she's a pain in my ass, and I definitely don't like the fact that she just came in here unannounced to interrogate you. It seems like she got past my soul-tuned wards like they weren't even there." He sighed. "I have to say; you seem to make some pretty interesting friends, Alice."

I smiled weakly. "You could say that. She’s not exactly my favorite person in the world right now, though."

He snorted. "Yeah, you and me both. Look, Alice, she's a real piece of work, and she obviously knows something. Don't take her words to heart. If nothing else, just remember: Eda Eschathos always has an angle, and she's always bad news. Whatever she's after, I guarantee it isn't going to be for the better. Stay sharp. Okay? I need to get back to work. Your sketches here should make for a healthy distraction for me here."

"Sure thing, Tarrant. Thank you for everything." I gave him a quick hug, which he returned with equal warmth.

As soon as Tarrant saw us out the door, Lori and I were alone again. She looked at me with worry written plainly across her features. "So, what's your take on that whole conversation?" she asked.

I shrugged. "I have no idea; she was being cryptic and evasive — probably trying to make me think she knows more about me than she does. Honestly, I feel like this whole situation is a giant mess and we're still pretty blind to the greater scope of what's going on. I'd rather not talk about her anymore until we have some answers."

Lori frowned. "I agree. I also think it would be wise to stay away from her and the Klios guys. Not only because she's dangerous, but she was clearly interested in you and your magic. Knowledge which you so happen to be missing right now. I'll keep my eyes out just in case, too."

"I am aware, Lori. Thanks though; it means a lot to hear you say that. I trust you with my back."

Pondering over my response to Eda’s interrogation, I thought about Lori’s distraught look when we were traveling to the dungeon in the hills.

“So, how about we try not to dwell too much on the subject? Maybe we can figure out where to start looking next. Like, maybe we could find those other adventurers who vanished. That might help us to narrow down the search area then for our parents. Any thoughts?"

Lori tilted her head thoughtfully. "Yes, let's do that. That sounds like a great plan — and my credentials and access level will give us an excuse to poke around in places that are usually off-limits to the public, too. We'll have to check the guild records; see if we can find any leads there."

"That sounds like a good place to start," I agreed with a little fist pump. "Let's head over to the Adventurer's Guild and dig into the archives tomorrow. Sound good?"

"It's a plan," Lori said happily. "Let's head on home, then. I'll tell the others to meet us there tomorrow. How about some grocery shopping, lunch, and then a light workout after?"

I smiled and beamed in agreement, and the two of us began to walk toward the city center.

5