Chapter 31: terms of surrender
41 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

 

I am still standing in front of the bowing king. 

 

"Thank you for choosing the right path, your majesty. You and your people deserve to live. Let us move to another location and talk in private. I want my guards to be present and your wise wife as well."

 

"As you wish, goddess." the king replies, then taking a deep breath, acting as if he ordered his own death.

 

"Your majesty, please, call me Greya. Besides, I am a demi-goddess. Not a goddess, so I cannot accept that honour. Besides, I am only a messenger."

 

"Alright, eh, Greya, let's discuss in one of our meeting rooms. There we will have plenty of room to speak in private." the king says.

 

I follow the dejected king, who orders one of his guards to follow him, and another guard to "find his wife", queen Rose. My sensitive ears overheard that, I am sure she will be royally...annoyed with him tonight.

My guards were still waiting outside the throne room. When I see them, they don't dare to say a thing. Their expression tells me everything I need to know: they are terrified. So I smile at them both and nod, then motion them to follow me. They return a careful smile, understanding that everything is under control. 

 

After a short walk along a maze of carpeted corridors, we are now sitting in the meeting room. A long wooden table, its surface devoid of any decorations or distractions. The king motions me to continue. Next to him sits the queen, who is glaring daggers at him, but she smiles at me. 

 

"Thank you for inviting me to this meeting, Greya" she said, knowing that her husband won't dare to keep her quiet. I gave her a quick nod and a polite smile. 

 

"It is I who should thank you, your majesty. Thank you for your warm welcome this afternoon in the city, and  for trying to help me in the throne room. Let us forget about the past, and embrace the future together."  I said.

 

"Well said, I always respect the voice of diplomacy." Ah, Baldric is also here, he just entered the room and immediately made his presence known.  

 

"Ah, Baldric, please be seated,"  I said, smiling at him.

 

He sat next to the queen, as he represents his country when it comes to diplomacy.

"Alright, now everyone is here, let us start. Your majesty, as ruler of your country you have accepted to live.

I will now list a number of terms that the deities expect you to agree to. However, these are not meant to restrict you but ultimately to help you. Feel free to negotiate where possible. Do you understand that some points can be negotiated up to a point?"

 

"We understand", the king says. "And Baldric, please continue, I will intervene when I have to".

 

"Yes your majesty, as you wish" Baldric says.

 

Good, now it is me and Baldric. He is more open to diplomacy, let's see if we can make this work.

 

"Please proceed Greya." Baldric says.

 

"Alright. I will now list all terms. Please write them down, and then we can negotiate if desired."

Baldric nodded and motioned to continue.

 

"1. You will immediately withdraw your troops from the border with Eshar. Know that Eshar is currently also positioning troops along the border. It is my intention to send an emergency courier to my people, to signal them to stand down. But not until we come to an agreement.

 

  1. You will build one temple. Smaller temples or shrines elsewhere are possible, but completely optional. They will be dedicated to your new deity. Their name is not known at the moment. Your temple can be very modest, so, please, do not spend more on it than required. Always think of your people first. 

 

  1. In your temple, you will honour your deity. You will not worship them, only honour them, listen to them. Make your temple a place for equals. No differences between noblemen or commoners exist within the temple. You will appoint mikos and priestesses or priests. They will form the bridge between yourselves and your deity. Any communication between you and your deity will go through them, this is the natural order of things. However, matters that directly impact your nation, such as impending emergencies like groundshakes, or a possibility of a war might be addressed to the king or queen of this country directly. Such at the sole discretion of your deity. Your people will learn and teach in the temple, it is a place of healing and peace. Aggression will not be tolerated.

 

  1. You will honour your land. Only take what you need. Don't kill for fun.

 

  1. Respect your ancestors. You and your people will at least once in your lifetimes change into your ancient form. There are no obligations in this matter, only that you experience your form. It is their recommendation, not rule, that you should try that one week a year. It is hoped that this might teach you kindness, humility and a spirit of cooperation with nature.

 

  1. Our people, the kitsune, will immediately dispatch emergency provisions to your people. But you will not hoard them in the palace. It is your subject's task to distribute the provisions properly and quickly. Your progress will be monitored.

 

  1. The kitsune will send priestesses and mikos to Acria, so they may teach yours. You will treat them with respect. May they become the first to bridge the gap that exists between our nations today.

 

  1. You will promote mutual understanding between our two nations, and your other neighbouring nations. Promote trade that will benefit us all. 

 

These are the terms. The terms to surrender your old way of life. May they bring your people hope, health and happiness. 

 

Do you accept these terms?"

 

"Thank you, Greya. Before I answer, might I please first discuss these terms with our king?" Baldric asks politely.

 

"Of course, we will have a break and reconvene in half an hour. Is that acceptable?" I asked.

 

"It is," the king says, without making eye contact.

 

"Then please excuse me. Is there perhaps a balcony close by? I would love some fresh air."  I asked.

 

"Ah, I will join you," the queen said. The king wanted to ask her something, but one glare was enough to silence him. "Just follow me, I know just the place."

 

My guards and I followed the queen outside, and we entered the palace gardens, which only took a five minute walk to arrive at.

 

"Greya, I must say I am impressed. You know your way in diplomacy." the queen said, while showing an honest smile.

 

"Ah, thank you, your majesty. But I am only a messenger. I just hope that your people will agree." I said.

 

"I know, but my husband can be very stubborn, as you already experienced." She then invited me to sit next to her on a bench in the garden.

 

I messaged my head, boy do I have a headache. This is one of those that help you concentrate. I don't think that I should use magic to rid myself of every discomfort, though.

 

"Are you alright dear?" 

 

"Yes, I just want to go home. A lot has happened to me in a short time. Please, don't misunderstand.  I do appreciate your hospitality, you really are kind to me. The others, well not so much though." I said, while looking around at the beautifully trimmed trees in the palace gardens. Then I inhaled deeply, ah that does wonders for me. I feel better already.

 

"You really like nature, don't you, Greya? As do I. Maybe someday, we can become friends." the queen said.

 

"Yes I do, and I'd like to think we already are friends. I just hope you won't be beating your husband tonight."  I gave her a teasing smile. I felt myself relax, and my tail responded to that feeling by swaying slowly. 

 

"Ah ha ha. rest assured. beating will not be enough. He will beg for mercy!" the queen laughed loudly, as did I.

 

"Ah, I feel much better, now I think we must return,"  I said. 

 

After arriving at the meeting room, we took our previous positions and continued.

 

Baldric then started the conversation. 

"Greya, we accept all terms, except for the first. The one about the troop placement along the border. 

We ask to negotiate on that point if you will."

 

"Of course, Baldric. I will hear your counter proposal now."

 

"Instead of a full withdrawal of troops, we would ask to place 100 soldiers close to the border, and an additional 50 scouts along the border," Baldric says.

 

"I see, but that counter proposal is not acceptable. Eshar will allow 25 scouts along the whole border. Scouts that will not wear camouflage clothing but normal, clearly visible clothing. 

The same rule shall apply to my people. Those scouts will confirm that neither of us is preparing for war with each other. You may then place 50 soldiers, but they will at all times remain at least 10 kilometres from the border. You decide where you place them, but you will respect the distance to the border. Of course, if the scouts would report enemy movement crossing the border, the standard rules of war would apply. "

 

"We basically agree to this, except for the number of soldiers. 50 soldiers is hardly enough to defend a border. We wish to renegotiate that part. How about allowing us the 100 soldiers we requested, and we will place them at a point 10 kilometres from the border. Clearly recognizable with banners."

 

"We agree to these conditions and the same shall apply to us." I stated.

 

"Alright," the king stands, followed by the queen and Baldric, "we have an agreement. May this be the day that our friendship starts. May it last forever."

 

I bow as well, as do my guards "we agree as well. Today starts your future. May your deity look after you and bring you many blessings. May the friendship between Acria and Eshar grow and benefit both our people forever. Ah, and any other matters are for you and your new deity to discuss."

Then a loud clapping could be heard from the remote part of the meeting room. Oh dear, it is mother Ima.

 

The king's guards are on alert, but I say "stand down, she is my mother." But the guards ignore me, but the king then orders them to stand down.

 

Mother walks towards us, her many tails swaying, giving us her warmest smile. 

 

"Well done children. This is what you get for working together. Today is a historic moment. 

I am here to inform you that a new deity has been chosen for your people. She will make her presence known in due time. Expect the first blessings to start in a few weeks. Until then, accept the kind help of your neighbours."

 

Everyone stands and bows to my mother, until she invites everyone to just sit back and relax. 

 

"Dear king, as per previously agreed terms, would you now please give the order to withdraw your troops from the border? I want to personally witness that order."  Ima asked, being a bit persuasive.

 

"Yes goddess, at once." The king said. "Bring me the general at once!" He shouted at one of his guards, who nodded and then ran out of the room.

 

"Good, good. As soon as I witness the command. I will inform my mikos at the main temple in Grae Thal, to contact King Yoshimura Hachiro to issue the same order. Be assured that both of these orders will be watched with great interest from the godly realm. We normally do not interfere with the life of mortals, but war is what we want to avoid at all cost." Mother Ima says.

 

"And when you are ready here, Greya, you and your guards are allowed to teleport home. As a bonus." She adds, giving me a smile and a wink.

 

My guards and I are extremely happy, as we were prepared to return the hard way. 

 

"What about the horses?" Tomoko asks.

 

"Ha ha ha," I was right, you are a fine addition to Greya's team. Ima says. "Yes, they will go home too. Ah the horse Mr Balric used to come to us will also be returned to them. Seems only fair, right?" 

 

We all nod, smiling happily. 

 

"Ah mother, we need to be in the capital for a few minutes, would it be alright if we met there before our departure?"  I asked. Nobody understood what I was up to, until I said "bring all your rations with you, these people need it more than we do. We can eat when we are at home."

 

My guards nodded, while we respectfully said our goodbyes, not forgetting to thank Baldric for his efforts in coming to us, and helping us. The queen praised my kindness, which I didn't even want to hear, I just wanted to go home already! But as a last act of diplomacy I told the queen that I would hope to meet again soon, because that is what friends do. I swear, I could see the beginnings of a tear forming. Oh boy, I need to escape. 

 

I then remembered something, I made eye contact with the king, and said "your majesty, please tell your soldiers not to shoot on our convoy carrying emergency goods to your people."  

 

The king assured me that they would be unharmed.

 

When Tomoko, Minako and I arrived in the city centre, we distributed our rations to the little ones on the streets there. I was also able to heal a few more people. I told them that this is all we have for now, but that help is really coming.

 

Once my mother was satisfied that the order was given to the general, she joined us carefully, so as not to expose herself as a goddess. She gave me some tips for my teleporter training, then she left us. I apparently had to figure out the rest myself.

 

Then we walked to a quiet part of the city, where I needed to perform the teleport thing again. I concentrated, this time only needing to visualise the guards right before our palace, then the familiar brilliant flash of silvery white light followed. We were back home. With our horses.

1