Chapter 40: a time of healing
43 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

 

 

When I teleported to Acria, I arrived about a hundred metres away from the drawbridge of the royal palace. 

I was hiding in an alley between two food stalls, making sure that nobody noticed me arriving here, or I would be the cause of wide-spread panic.

 

I checked if I was still dressed appropriately, yep, still wearing the new cute pink kimono. I then checked my tails. "Wha? Tails? I have two of them? Well...that is weird..." I try to turn around, to follow my tails, but of course they are attached to my rear, so they will turn with me. Stupid Greya! Act like a goddess already! But why two tails, I wonder?

 

The answer came in my mind. Mother Ima must have an open channel with me all the time....I wonder. 

"Sweetie, you are now a goddess. The number of tails shows how much experience and power you have as a goddess. By teleporting you earned the second one. Well, you already have all 9 of them, but they will only show when you are in your divine form and then only will be added when you reach another milestone."

 

"I have NINE of those?" I said with surprise on my face.

 

"Yes dear. Just wait until you see all of your nine kitsune tails. You are in for some fluffing, I tell you!"

 

I turned all red, knowing exactly who she was thinking about. I ignored her, because I am not supposed to be on Mirai in my kitsune goddess form anyway. I started walking, hoping that my face would cool down quickly. Alright, what do I have to do first?

 

Ah, focus already! Wait, this country is supposed to be poor, people starving everywhere, but the nobles can even have their own food stalls to enjoy? Then my thoughts were interrupted.

 

"Hey miss, you shouldn't be walking so casually in the alleys, you know. Especially without company," one of the customers told me. He was a cat-kin, obviously, probably in his late fifties. Two little ones were pulling on his arms, where he held what looked like a set of waffles on a stick. 

 

"Ah, yes, sorry for worrying you, I was invited to the royal palace and thought this was the quickest way. Maybe not a very good idea." I said, while giving him a smile and a polite bow, my tail curling on its own. Yes, I made sure to hide my second tail for a bit.

 

"No problem, just better stay on the main road, especially after sunset. But, the palace you say?" he asked.

 

Oh dear, now what do I tell him? "Yes, believe it or not, I have a way to fix the food situation in our country." 

 

"Really? Finally some good news! It's about time that our king did something about it. Do you have any idea what food here costs? My two kids begged me for a month to come here. My wife and I saved two silver coins just to give them a treat, these prices are absurd." He looked at the food stall owner, who could only shrug at his remark.

 

Then it hit me. I thought there were no children anymore? Maybe they were the last ones born? Whatever, time to fix things! 

 

I then winked at the two kids who were enjoying their waffle thing, yes definitely a waffle, and said to them "little ones, things are going to be better soon. Trust me."  

 

Awww, they hid behind their father, must be my authoritative voice again.

 

"Hope you are right missy, but you probably should get going, I heard that our king is not a patient man," he said.

 

"Alright then, enjoy the show today, okay? Trust me, it's going to be an amazing day, bye!"

 

The man looked very confused, I can't blame him, but I can't tell him I'm their goddess either.

 

I leisurely walked towards the drawbridge, where two guards approached me. 

 

"Halt! What is your business here?"  One of the guards said.

 

"Good morning to you too," just being a bit sarcastic, "I am here to meet with the king and queen to fix our little nationwide food shortage today."

 

The guards then exchanged glances between themselves, then they both started to laugh "ha ha ha!" 

They bent down forward, holding their bellies from their laughing fit. "Haaa. That was funny! Now really, what is your business here, little lady?" 

 

I gave them my warmest smile, and my tail swayed happily as well, "gentlemen, I am serious. I am your new goddess, now please....."

 

Again they looked at each other and had another laughing fit. Now they even had tears in their eyes from all the laughing they did. 

 

I focused on them and tried to use my goddess powers. I want to know their names.  And yes, now I do!

"Okay, I see you don't believe me, Leo and Charles. Ahh, Leo, don't forget to buy those flowers for your wife today. or else.."

 

They were now dead serious. "Who are you?"

 

"Me? I am Greya, your goddess. Now would you please allow me passage? I need to speak to their majesties immediately."

 

"Sorry lady, even though you can do some fancy mind tricks, that doesn't mean that I can let you pass." Leo said.

 

Right, this is not going to work. I will introduce myself to the king and queen first, then get the emergency goods here as soon as I can. Think Greya, think! I focus on the throne room, where I have been before. I feel, I feel, nobody is there. Alright, that sucks. No, I feel someone now there, yes! The king and queen enter the throne room, but they are not alone. Who is that? Ah, I now can see who is there, it is a servant, she bows and leaves.

 

"Alright then, don't blame me if you get fired today. I will let myself in then. Bye!" 

 

I bowed and then, in a flash, I was in the throne room, ten metres away from their majesties.

I smiled and waved at them, but I forgot something. They are never alone....a guard then pushed his sword right through me, as if I were only an illusion. 

 

"Die you filth!" he said. "What? What is this, trickery?"

 

Rude...but I am sure that he was only shocked.... 

But all of them were even more shocked when I stood unharmed, smiling, putting my hands in the air in surrender, in a mocking voice  "oh no...please..I am only an innocent maiden."

 

Oh yes, they were surprised. No, I messed up big time. 

 

"Alright, enough fun guys. I am not an intruder."  The guard continued stabbing me with his sword, I guess he didn't believe me. I glared at him until he was finished. I put my hands on my hips and said "are you finished stabbing me? I am goddess Greya, and I need to see the king and queen at once."

 

Nobody said anything. The king and queen were obviously in shock, so I activated my halo. A white light surrounded my body. I bowed for a second. "My sincere apologies, king and queen of Acria. I am goddess Greya, newly appointed deity to the cat-kin. I would have announced my appearance properly, but your guards didn't believe me, so I figured I should just teleport here. Well, my bad." 

 

Nothing happened for a minute, only the king and queen blinking their eyelids.

I decided to stand still, trying to look harmless. Well I admit that I failed miserably at that.

 

"Greya?" The queen said.

 

"Yes, I am Greya, Nya. Ah, please forgive me.  I am in my divine form. If you wish, I can take my kitsune form again. But I was already stabbed earlier today. So I would rather not, Nya."     Ah man, "mother!!!! stop it! no longer funny!!!!" 

 

"Well, she does sound like her," the king said. Earning a smack on his arm. 

 

"Ouch! What did I do now?" he said.

 

"Okay, may I have your attention please?" I said.

 

They both nodded. I turned around, looking for the guard. He was still in shock. "Are you alright there? 

Nice job by the way. I completely missed you, so job well done."  Nope, he is frozen.

 

"Your majesty, would you please ask your guard to wait outside for a minute?"

 

"Of course," the king replied, motioning the guard to leave. And that he did.

 

"Now, please don't be alarmed, I will take my kitsune form for a minute, then go back like this, okay?"

 

They only nodded, awaiting the surprise happening in front of their muzzles.

 

I then changed back into my trusted Greya-mode. "Ahh, that is better."

 

"Greya! It really is you!" The queen said, running over to me and embracing me.

 

"Now that I call a warm welcome!" I said.

 

"Yes, that is her alright" the king mumbled. He would be dead now, if his wife had any superpowers.

 

"What can we do for you dear, and did you just say you are a goddess?" the queen said.

 

"Yes, that is correct. Your former deity, Noboru, left his position to me. That is why I was granted his position. 

I am here to inform you both that today is my very first day on the job of being a goddess. 

Now let me change back into cat-kin form. Whenever I act as a goddess to your, well, to our people, I must take this form. This is to show respect to you, just like you show respect to me."

 

I then changed back into cat-kin goddess form. 

 

"Aww...Greya, you are really cute like this, you know? Dear?  Dear? Dear!!!!" Well, the queen at least is happy that I look like this.

 

"Ah, yes dear. She is very cute. Ah ah, I mean but you are cuter..." he said. Ohhh, nice save.

 

"Would you like some tea, Greya?"  the queen asked.

 

I then continued "Ah thank you, but no. Do you remember the terms we discussed?" both of them nodded. 

"Good, because I am here to start your blessings. We have a country to rebuild. All three of us that is."

 

"You mean, really? Will you help us?" the king asks, with an expression of surprise on his face.

 

"My dear king, you really agreed to those terms and still think that it was only a dream? No, all of it will happen, as long as you keep your end of the deal."

 

He nodded, now looking more relaxed and cooperative.

 

"Alright then, my first act as a goddess was to visit you. But it didn't go exactly as I had planned. I hope you can forgive me. Call it training on the job if you will. People are starving here. So first, I will take those emergency goods from OUR neighbours, the kitsune, and deliver them to our people. My other blessings will follow as fast as I can manage, because I really want to do a proper job, okay?" I said.

 

"Yes Greya, we understand, just, thank you, please help us." the king asked, really polite this time.

 

"Alright, and please don't be alarmed when I visit you like this. In the future I won't have to visit frequently, so I will mostly talk to your mikos. Until then, kindly instruct your guards not to stab me" I said, showing a smug smile.

 

"Please let us know when you expect something from us, alright?" the queen asks.

 

"Sure thing, it is your task to now start producing food for your people. Don't hoard it here in the palace, but help your people first. Watch your land, start sowing as soon as you can. For the coming months, everything you plant will grow at miraculous speeds. So take care of that please."

 

"Yes, thank you so much. We will instruct our farmers, our bakers, everyone!!!" the king said.

 

"Good, and do you have a temple or something already?" I asked

 

"Not much really, just an abandoned school, but we will work hard to..." the king was interrupted...by me.

 

"No, it is good as it is now. Building a decent temple is something for the future." I see they understand.

 

"Alright, my mother Ima's mikos and priestesses will be on their way soon to teach yours, so make sure you have selected them by then. See you soon, my friends." and I was gone in a flash. 

 

Yep, definitely a bad introduction. But I have a good excuse, I have an emergency here, I need to help others first. Help first, talk later.

 

I stood before the palace again, on the drawbridge, totally forgetting that those two guards are still there.

 

"You again! Where did you go?"  

 

I facepalmed. Now I have to deal with them again.

 

"Leo, Charles, I visited your king and queen a few minutes ago. I need to take care of some things, so be nice to me from now on, okay? Do you see my two beautiful tails? That means I am your goddess, do you need any more proof, or can I leave in peace?" 

 

"Two...you mean three? That doesn't prove anything, you know!" Charles said.

 

I looked at my tails, surprised for a second, and yes, there are three of them already. Nice, and they move in a synchronised fashion, nice indeed!

 

"Just talk to your king, okay? I want a warm welcome next time. Bye!" And I teleported to Eshar, where my parents had ordered to prepare the emergency goods.  

 

In front of me are multiple tents, where soldiers are moving packages from horse drawn carriages to a central storage location in those tents. Looks like merchants are helping them to transport the goods to this location, then they will be dispatched to Acria. 

 

I changed into my normal kitsune form, still wearing my pretty pink kimono. I don't want to have the goddess discussion again. 

 

"Good morning people, how are things moving along?" I said with a warm smile.

 

"What? Come here girl and help in stead of asking stupid questions. We need more hands around here. Don't give me that look, come here and be quick about it!" one lady in uniform said. Probably the person responsible for delivering the goods to Acria.

 

I walked towards her, and kept glaring at her. Holding my royal necklace right in front of her nose. Oops, then before her eyes. "Do you mind reading this inscription?" I asked her, a grin on my face.

 

She pushed the necklace away from her face, and said "stop playing, I don't have time for this! Now help or be gone!" she said

 

"I know you are busy, but I am your princess Greya. At least show me some respect, will you?"

 

"You what? Ah.." She then noticed my outfit was too pretty for a commoner. She motioned for me to show the necklace again. Once she recognized the royal insignia, she bowed to me and apologised.

 

"Nevermind, you are busy. But I am not here to get in your way, I am here to help you get these goods to Acria pronto!" I said.

 

"Pronto, princess?" 

 

"Yes, I will move those goods to Acria myself. You know that I am a goddess, don't you?"

 

"You are what? Princess, please, we don't have the time for this..." 

 

I then changed into my cat-kin goddess form and startled her. She knelt before me and apologised again.

 

Here we go again. "Please stand up, I don't have time for this either. Now, tell me your orders. Where are the goods supposed to go in Acria? Ah, and please call me Greya."

 

She stood up, looked at me all over, then continued "alright Greya. My orders are to deliver the goods to Acria's five largest cities first. From there the goods will be transported by their own people to the smaller towns and villages. We have soldiers standing by for the journey, but they need to leave now."

 

"I believe I can help you there. First, put those packages all together in five piles and order your designated soldiers to report to those locations. Then I will teleport your goods and soldiers to their locations in Acria. After that, they will be on their own. Do you agree?"

 

"Yes Greya, we can certainly use your help with that. But this is going to be the second shipment, the first one just left a bit earlier already. Can you do something about that as well?"

 

"Indeed, I can. I will take care of that first, now please prepare your people for immediate departure, as soon as you are ready."

 

"Yes, at your command Greya" she said, then she ran off. 

 

Great, now I feel like a general myself, giving out orders like it is the most natural thing for me to do. 

Wow, that was surprising. I thought she would push me away, but she is straightforward in her approach and open for ideas.  

 

I concentrated on the carriages that were already en route to Acria, and teleported them to their destinations after properly introducing me again and again and again and again. This is starting to get really annoying. Maybe I need to wear a white robe or something, people need to recognise me at once. I am losing too much time with these discussions.  

Then I transported the second batch from Eshar to Acria's five largest cities. 

 

Of course, these are only emergency rations, but it is better than nothing. I can't feed an entire nation with these few supplies. Maybe when I have 9 tails, but not today. I instructed our soldiers to focus on the children first, and then ask Acria's soldiers to distribute the goods to their own people. Their king ordered them to cooperate and to not hoard anything, so things should progress nicely soon.

 

I was now in Acria, in one of the five cities that received the emergency goods. Eshar's soldiers carried out their instructions and left me alone. I inhaled deeply, and tried to focus on my remaining tasks for today.

Looks like it is already past noon, yep, I am a goddess but don't know the exact time. Need to ask mom about that.

 

I decided to go to my domain...at least I should have one now. Maybe it is Noboru's old domain, like an old furnished apartment or something? I focused, and said "to my domain!"

 

And then I was surrounded by intense white. Nothing else, just a white infinity all around me. 

"Ahhh...ouch!"  The ringing started in my ears again. First loud, then quieter but still noticeable.

 

"Okay, that's better. Good, let's try this. I want a sofa, and a three-dimensional map of my country projected on top of a table."

 

All appeared immediately.  "Well, that is convenient."

 

"Now show me the river next to the capital."  And the map zoomed in on the river. It was only a dry river bed at the moment.

 

"Why is the river not flowing anymore?" I said, to nobody in particular. 

 

The map then blinks at a location halfway from the sea to the capital. The water disappears in a hole in the ground. 

 

"I want the hole in the ground to be closed right now" I demanded, again hoping that this would work.

 

And indeed, the map zoomed in on the hole, and it was slowly closing as if it had never been there.

And behold! The river now gushed forwards, dry riverbeds now filled with water. First there was dust blowing everywhere, then water splashing, until the river settled like a normal fast flowing river.

The water soon reached the capital, then it merged with another river, then leaving the country. I hope my neighbours are not going to complain about more water in their rivers...

 

"Wow, that was nice!" I said, surprised that things were really working. I looked at my tails, what?

Yep there are four now! That went fast!!!

 

"Good, now show me the whole country again." And the map zoomed out until I could see all of Acria, and some of Eshar as well. I could see tiny differently coloured dots moving, those must be the different races moving about their daily lives, but I don't have time for that now.

 

"Good, now slowly form rain clouds above Acria."  The 3D map now moved upwards so I could see a cross section of the country, as if I were standing on the ground. Clouds were indeed forming, until the sun completely vanished between grey, rainy clouds. Excellent.

 

"Now gently let the rain fall for 48 hours, then change into a normal healthy weather type for this country."

This is where those weather data algorithms come in handy. I just want some mild rain at first, then let it stabilise until nature can recover at its own pace. Except for some locations that need a bit more of my intervention.

 

And sure enough, it started to rain, gently as requested.

 

"Good, now zoom in on the capital of Acria, Amphos." The map complied and showed me a 3D map, but now I could see the palace in the middle.

 

"Focus on the dry farmlands around the city, then let it pour there for 1 hour, then resume optimal weather for growing plants again." Then the sky almost literally tore itself apart, dark grey, almost black lines came down in waves. It was genuinely pouring. I just hope that I didn't inconvenience anyone, just as I had experienced recently. After five minutes the soil was already thoroughly soaked, so I requested only a normal rain to continue. 

 

"Alright. Now focus on the deserts. Make the sand grains merge and form proper soil for farming. Then let it rain there for three days straight." There is nobody in the desert at the moment, so nobody should mind the excessive rain there. 

 

Let's see, how do blessings work? Let me try something I can see first, "I give my blessings to the newly created soil, that was only a desert minutes ago. May forests grow there, all green and healthy and may that attract animals who shall call it home." As far as I could see, all that was previously a desert, now becomes green. It still needs to rain a while there, but at least the desert is gone.

 

Good, my blessings seem to work. Now show me my temporary temple, the old school building.

It showed on my map without delay. "May this building bring feelings of peace to its visitors. May it be a common meeting place for commoners and nobility alike. May the mikos and priestesses and priests there form a connection between myself and all others. Let the building be surrounded by flowering bushes, and an ancient tree form in the centre, before the entrance." All happened in real time as the map showed the results in 3D.  "Nice, that will be my official home in Acria for a while. I hope it will inspire people to visit this place and find healing there."

 

And now, "I give my divine blessings to the people of my country. All that stay here and all that call this place their home. Whether they are cat-kin, kitsune, wolf-kin or any other form of life. May they flourish, may healthy children be born again, so a healthy society may develop. Not too many people, not too few, all in perfect balance. May my people respect the lands as their ancestors did. May they respect the deities, may they have kindness in their hearts. May they honour their ancestral form. Blessed be!"

 

"Well, I think that worked, but I feel really tired right now. Maybe my..." yawn "....divinity is all gone for today?"  Maybe I need to do some tweaking...meh, that can wait until tomorrow. 

 

Only now did I notice that the ringing in my ears was replaced with a warm feeling in my heart. I guess my people are a bit happier already. I can't imagine what Noboru must have felt all this time, a never ending ringing in his ears.

 

I then returned to the palace in Acria. I noticed the king and queen staring outside the palace window.

 

"Ah Greya! A miracle, it is raining, come and see this, it is raining!" 

 

Both of them were so happy, I could only smile. Then I said to the queen "ah, are you feeling alright?"

 

"What do you mean, Greya?" she said, then she looked down at her tummy. Let's say it was big!

 

"Honey, are you...." the king started.

 

Then they both looked at me, I nodded happily and gave my warmest smile.

 

Both of them hugged me, and thanked me. As a goddess, I knew that they wanted a little one. It took some convincing to get them calm again. 

 

I then placed my hand on the queen's shoulder, to bless her and her unborn child, "your son will be the very first to be born in a new age. You are due next month my queen. May your pregnancy go well and may your son be healthy." 

 

They both started crying from happiness and they embraced me again, until we were interrupted.

 

"Sire! The river, the river! It is flowing again!" A guard exclaimed, all panting.

 

I only nodded happily again, then I watched outside the window. The rain was lessening, everything in nature is in perfect balance. Not too much, not too little. Well, nature still has to recover, but the balance is there. Then the sun showed itself between the clouds, but only for a minute as more rain should come. But still, this was the perfect moment for all of us to see a majestic rainbow in the sky. 

 

The king and queen saw this happening and were in awe. "Thank you so much Greya!" they both said.

 

"No, it is not me that you should be thanking, you all chose life. You accepted the terms to start a new era. 

As long as you honour them, you will be blessed. I only did my job as a goddess. I do not decide about life or death, I only maintain balance. Now it is up to you and your people to grow strong and healthy again.

Ah, also don't forget to build decent roads, this will promote commerce with your neighbours."

 

"Greya, you did so much for us. How can we ever repay you?"  The king said, while the queen nodded in agreement.

 

I then answered "honour your agreement, and show kindness wherever you can, that will be payment in full."  

 

Then I teleported away. Home. My home. My bedroom. Lying on my bed, still in cat-form. Smiling like I had never before. 

 

"Mother!" I thought "why am I so happy?"

 

Mother Ima replied, "well sweetie, you didn't want to lead a boring life anymore, you finally received what you wished for. And sometimes, giving feels better than receiving."

 

On that thought, I fell asleep. As a cat. Now five tails are moving on their own. I was totally not purrrrrring.

2