Chapter 16: Meditation Temptation
32 2 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I burped. I don't think I've ever felt guiltier about something in my entire life. Must have been a side effect of her blessed water. Never thought plain old H20 could give someone gas like that. But the good news is that Yusha didn't mind. In fact, she giggled. Must have been a cultural thing. I know in some countries a burp is a sign of a good meal. 

After that, we sat for a bit. Yusha sat on a mat with her legs crossed and her eyes closed. Looked like she was sleeping with sitting up right. If I had to wager, I would have said she was meditating. I wanted to interrupt her by asking, but after having just let a blech rip, I didn't want to push my luck any further. And I noticed it didn't take Siza that long to fall asleep face first on the floor. 

I decided to stretch my legs a bit. Stood up and started pacing around the dojo but made sure to keep away from any windows. The thin layers of dust that covered the furniture was a bit jarring when looking at how tidy the place was otherwise. Granted, she didn't have much furniture, but it was still clean save for the dust. There were a few boxes and chest placed against the walls as well with assorted martial arts things resting on top. I had to fight the compulsion to open one of them up. Just because I was in a game-like world didn't mean I had the right to just go rifling through someone else's property.

"Are you bored?" Yusha said. She kept her eyes closed and stayed in her sitting position. 

"What?"

"You seem bored." She still didn't open her eyes. In my head I had to commend her on ability to stay focused.

"No, no." I muttered in response. "I'm just not used to meditating. Never tried it before."

"It's very simple. It is a good way to rest and restore your [Mana] a bit faster."

"Oh, I didn't know that."

"Takes a bit of practice to get it to work. Not to mention that the rate of [Mana] restoration is only marginally faster. But it also relieves some stress. If I am to help you train to become one of Govessa's Champions, then it's a must learn-skill."

"I'm down for it," I replied. 

"Unfortunately, I can't show you now since we'll be heading over to the shop soon. But as a Martial Artist, it should come naturally to you."

Figures. Meditation seems like a “must-have” skill for anyone that dedicates their life to bashing things with their bare hands. Kind of like a Ying and a Yang. "I'll learn whatever you tell me to."

Yusha stood upright and put her hands together. She smiled as she bounced up and down on the balls of her feet. "Oh, you don't know how happy I am to hear that! You wouldn't believe how many people just don't want to learn the foundations of fighting and self-defense."

"Oh, I believe it. It's the same way back where I'm from. People just want to go straight to the top. They think they can reach the peak without climbing any stairs."

"I love that analogy. It is too perfect. Father would always start off the beginners in this dojo with an introduction to meditation. Every year, at least a third of the pupils would leave within the first week."

"Sounds like Advanced Bio to me," I said almost unconsciously. I wanted to smack myself in the head.

"What?"

"Nothing. Just something from my world. Forget I said anything."

"Oh."

"Fortunately, I'm patient. I've been through my fair share of pointless classes." I froze. Gave Yusha this look of utter embarrassment. But she seemed fine with what I said. "Not that I think meditation is pointless. It's just that I've built up a tolerance for going through ins and outs of learning."

"I believe you." Yusha walked up to the window and peered out. Darkness had set and the sound crickets chirping filled the air. "I think we just need a few more minutes. Once everyone's back inside their homes, we can stop by the shop."

I ground my heel against the ground and put my arms behind back. I wanted to look out the window, but I remembered how much trouble Yusha would get in if I got caught. I fought my curiosity and paced around the room a bit. Yusha came back inside and knelt next to Siza. She rubbed his back a bit before watching me walk in circles around her dojo.

"Do you have any other questions before we leave?"

"Off the top of my head, no. Well... I actually do. But I've got too many for you to answer in a span of a couple of minutes."

"Makes sense. How about a quick lesson on meditation then?" Yusha stopped petting her dog and brushed off her sitting mat. "Here, take a seat." Then she patted the empty spot. 

I took the invitation. Plopped myself down right next to her. "So, what's the first step?"

"First you need to get into the proper position." Yusha lowered herself and sat with her legs crossed again. Then I did the same. That was easy enough. 

"Then what?"

"Close your eyes." Yusha did exactly that. Okay. I can close my eyes too. No problem.

"And... is that it?"

"Clear your mind."

Should have expected that. "I think I might need a bit of help with that part."

"Did you even try to clear your mind?" I turned to my side with one opened eye. Yusha remained in the same position with her hands resting on her lap. I zipped my lip, looked forward and tried to 'clear my mind.' 

Didn't know where to start. I guess I began by trying to fall asleep. Focus on nothing. But the harder I tried, the more stuff I thought about. My old home. This new world. The monsters I fought. Playing Lethal Combo. And of course, that failing grade I got right before getting hurled into this world. The harder I tried to think about nothing, the more random stuff came bouncing through my head. 

"How is it coming along?" Yusha said calmly.

"Not too good. I'm doing the exact opposite. I see everything."

Yusha opened her eyes and glanced at me. She gave me this sad and confused look. "Oh. I suppose that is a bit of a challenge for everyone that tries to meditate. I've been doing this for so long, it just comes naturally to me.

Right. I could have told her that. "Back where I come from, I was always busy. Something was bugging me. All day, every day."

Yusha's eyes opened wide in surprise. "That sounds terrible! Living with constant concern is not a way to live at all."

"Tell me about it." I stretched my legs and tilted back using my hands as leverage. "Everyone's got high expectations where I come from."

"Maybe that's why Govessa chose you," Yusha said. "If you had potential back in your world, then that probably means you'll be able to fulfill it here!"

I shook my head. "Nah. That's not it. I wasn't anything special. Just another kid that got in over his head in college." Then I sighed. I couldn't even clear my mind. How was I supposed to stop a rampaging army of bloodthirsty warriors?

"It's not like Govessa picked you for no reason. There must be something special about you."

"I wish." I rubbed the back of my neck. "I'm really just a normal person. Probably even more mundane than your neighbors."

She placed a hand on my arm and gave me a comforting gaze with her dark brown eyes. Wasn't anything romantic. More like a sisterly look if anything. Like she had genuine care in her eyes. "That's not important, Adrien. All that matters is that you are here. You have a duty to fulfil. And you are more than willing to do what it takes to succeed."

I couldn't look into her eyes without being overcome with guilt. This lingering feeling dread hit me in the bottom of my gut. Yusha had high expectations. So did my parents. I let them down. I couldn't do the same to Yusha. Especially since her entire life is on the line. Along with countless others. Don't know why Govessa would put such a burden on someone like me. 

"Adrien?" Yusha asked. She snapped me out of my stupor.

"Huh? Yeah?"

"Everything fine?" 

"I'm fine. I've just got a lot on my mind is all."

"I see. Maybe we should talk about this at a later time. I can always show you how to meditate later. Are you ready to go out and visit the shop?"

I perked up at the gesture. I'm all for procrastination. Anything that pushes important things to a later date gets a thumbs up in my book. I nodded my head. "Let's go. I wouldn't mind meeting some new people."

Yusha gave me her signature grin. Again. Couldn't resist returning a smile of my own. She made her way to the window and opened it up. "We'll have to go through the back so you won't get caught. But it's a very short walk."

0