Chapter 19: The Nightmare
10 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"That was a pleasant little chat," I said as I sat crisscross on the ground. I felt my eyes getting heavier as rested my head on the palm of my hand and my arm against my leg. "Theus and Xiya seem like good people."

"Oh, they definitely are," Yusha said as she stood in front of the entrance to her room. "They have been more than kind to me and my father."

"Nice to know that there are at least a few people I can rely on in case things go bad. Or... should I say worse?"

"Hopefully we can get you levelled up to leave this village as soon as possible. Keeping you hidden from Zahnte's forces won't be an easy task if we are to stay in Tuanha for a long time."

I felt a yawn travel up my throat. And Yusha was looking right at me. I fought as hard as I could from letting it escape, but I was just too drowsy. My mouth opened wide. I shut my eyes then tilted my head back. Put a hand over my mouth to muffle the sound but it wasn't any use. It was a loud one. And long, too. When it was all over, Yusha was staring at me with her usual friendly smile. Sent guilt all throughout my body. 

"Sorry about that," I said softly. Couldn't hide my embarrassment. 

"Don't be. You've been through a lot today. A Champion such as yourself deserves a bit of reset." She went back in her room and pulled out an old mat less than a minute later. Yusha laid it out in front of me and dusted it off with the front of her hand. "Sorry that it isn't in the best condition. I haven't had a guest over in years."

"I'll be fine. I've slept in worse spots before," I said as I rolled over onto the dingy white mat. I wasn't lying either. I've spent my share of nights at my campus' library, sleeping underneath solid oak and dried bubble gum in thirty minutes intervals as I tried to cram in as much Calculus before exam time. Even though the room was a bit chilly, the flat fabric of the mat was more comfortable than the sticky carpets of my school's library. 

I curled up like a baby and tucked my arms underneath my gi. Shut my eyes tight. "Thank you, Yusha. For everything," I said with my eyes closed. She didn't reply. A few seconds later I felt a fuzzy fabric cover my body. My eyes opened wide, and I saw Yusha finishing laying a blanket over my body. 

"No, I should be thanking you. You've made a huge sacrifice by helping us. I'm simply fulfilling my obligation," Yusha whispered. I wanted to say something profound, but the gears in my brain weren't working.

Instead, I just mumbled 'thanks' again and let my head plop on the mat. Closed my eyes. I was probably out cold in a matter of seconds. 

Unlike my dreams at home, which usually just end up as vague, incoherent sequences of unrelated events (mostly of me running to nowhere), I remembered this one vividly. But calling it a dream would be wrong. It was a pure nightmare. There was a large black void, almost like I was in space. But solid ground was beneath me. I walked forward along this cosmic trail as an assortment of shadows and silhouettes danced in my peripheral vision. I quickly turned my head to one side to watch one of the scenes play out.

A group of shadows shaped like people trembled. Or perhaps they fled. The movement was hard to follow since there were so many of them. But I can say for certain that they all looked weak and timid. And a short distance away, an enormous figure chased them. Shaped like a warped human with long, talon-like hands scooped up a good portion of the runners before tilting its jagged body back and pouring them into its gaping maw. As it started to eat, it flashed countless rows of razor-sharp teeth along with a sinister pair of glowing red eyes. 

It cackled as the people tumbled from its hand into its mouth, overcoming the cries of anguish. Once it shut its mouth, it chewed while staring at me. I could hear crunching and squishing, making me sick to my stomach. Even though they were just... mirages... the sounds were all too real. I quickly turned my head away to the other side of the astral corridor I was trapped in.

As far as infinity stretched, similar scenes played out. Giant, beast like figures chasing countless shadows in the shape of innocent people. I heard their cries that echoed on for eternity. I wanted to run. I wanted to turn around. But for some reason, I just couldn't. I somehow steeled my nerves and continued the path. The bulk of my dream was me in vain trying to ignore the illusions of chaos that surrounded me. Even though the images took the form of vague outlines, I remembered every part like a recording. 

Towards the end, a shadow formed on the ground in front of me. I finally stopped walking. The darkness merged, forming a small mound that quickly rose. In seconds, it started to form a coherent shape; another beast-like man like the devourer I mentioned earlier. But this time it was very real. I could see every veiny muscle. Light reflected off its sharpened claws. The glowing red eyes would have blinded me if I stared at them too long.

Now, however, the shadow beast looked like it had armor on. Black plates with spikes jutting out covered what would be it chest. The monster looked like it wore a helmet in the shape of a skull over its head with a pair of fierce hors poking out from either side. 

I took a few steps back and went into a fighting stance. Placed one foot in front of the other. Turned both hands into fists and placed them in front of my body so I could block any incoming attacks. And then I squinted into its fiery pupils with an inner rage of my own.

Deep down, I knew that I wouldn't be able to defend myself. The shadow was three times my size and its claws could cut through solid wood with a single stroke. But I remained steadfast. The beast roared, scaring away all the silhouettes that covered the wall. It screamed with enough force that it blew my hair and clothes back.

But I remained. Fists up. My legs spread firm.

The creature raised one of its claws and roared again. I lifted one arm, ready to block. I felt my heart race. I couldn't take my eyes on the vicious limb as it cut through the air and traveled towards me. I poised both of my arms for a block and closed my eyes. My entire body buckled, ready to defend the incoming strike...

Then I awoke. Rolled right off the mat and onto the wooden. My entire body darted up as my eyes raced around the room. Siza woke up from his little bed. He looked at me like I was crazy before resting his head again. Yusha then stepped out of her room, rubbing one eye with the back of her hand.

"What's the matter Adrien?" she asked. I looked around me and quickly picked up the blanket that lay sprawled across the ground. "Everything all right?"

"I... uh... just had a bad dream is all. Nothing to worry too much about. I'm sure it happens to a lot of people whenever they're in a new location." I quickly get back on the mat and cover myself up with the blanket. As I lay on my side, I could see Yusha still staring at me with the look of a worried mother.

"We have dreams for a reason, Adrien. Usually, they're meant to tell us something."

"Yeah, yeah. I know. But you look tired. Just... go ahead and finish your rest. It was something silly, anyway. If anything, my dream probably meant that I need to eat less junk food and drink more water," I said with little conviction. Yusha kept looking at me with those same, anxious eyes. 

"We can talk about it more in the morning if you'd like," she said, this time unable to hide her yawn.

"That works. You look exhausted," I said as I covered my head with the blanket. "You deserve a good night's sleep too. Not like I have class or anything tomorrow. We can discuss everything then."

She stretched her arms above her head and went back to her room. "If you say so, Adrien. But if something else happens, don't be afraid to wake me." 

I closed my eyes and tried to fall asleep again. But the tighter they were shut, the more vivid that monster became. I poked my head out of my blanket and just stared at the wall for who-knows how long. I might have fallen asleep once or twice out of boredom, but the dream kept replaying in my mind. As I found myself staring at a dusty corner, I formulated a plan in my head. 

I needed to talk to Govessa again.

0