chapter 2
46 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

10 years later.

Standing tall on the branch of a tall tree, Kaivan can hear the yelling from below.

“Kaivan, get down from there, we’re gonna get caught.” The some what chubby boy, Kvata. 

Calling out while looking around warily, his long fringe hair covering a scarred eye. Wearing a average linen shirt and pant, A small hatchet by his side.

“We really shouldn’t be here, not this far away from the walls”
“Uurrgh, stop being so worried Kvata, not like there’s any beast around here. My father ensured that.” Kaivan yelled back from above, the now ten years old boy, still standing on the tall tree branch.

Looking out at the tree top, basking in its beauty. His jet black eyes overlooking the entire forest top, short black hair fluttering from the wind, a sword by his side, linen clothing covering his exterior. And a necklace, on which a wyvern’s tooth hangs from. A gift from his father. 

The many critter moving amongst the tree tops, the squirrel gathering nuts and fruit. The bird of prey looking out for juicy game, the many bug moving amongst the branches. Causing Kaivan to frown in reflection, reminded of his dreams

Of the towering building of stones and glass, of the moving carriages without a leading beast, of the giant moving metal snakes along the bridges. Worst of all are the people, their lifeless eyes focused  on strange glowing stones.

“Still, we shouldn’t be here. I heard there were some weird noises from the guards lately, I heard some say it could even be a demonized beast” retorted Kvata, fearfully, urging him to return.

"…Fine, give me a minute.” Sighed the boy, seeing that Kvata was truly fearful. Not intending to torture his only friend, Kaivan can only relent. 

Dropping from branches to branches, grabbing a vine and descending at a quick pace. Landing at Kvata side with a loud thud, knocking the poor boy onto the ground from surprise.

“Alright, lets go back.” Reaching his hand out, picking Kvata from the ground.

Hours past, quietly did the two young boys sneaked back from the outskirts reaching the tall stone walls. With Kvata as the spotter, Taking out a long hook and rope. He swung and threw, the hook arcing over the wall, catching over the top, pulling it taunt.

“There we go, should be good. You first, I’ll be look out.” Kaivan spoke, urging the chubby boy to climb first.

The chubby boy, looking at the top of the imposing wall, nearly three stories tall. Taking in a deep breath, slowly Kvata clasped his hands together. gritting his teeth as his breath becoming deeper and deeper. His once normal arms turned, changing into a shade a shade of dark metallic copper.

Slowly it spread up his shoulders and over his chest, grabbing the rope as he began climbing it. Kvata pulled himself up the wall purely from his arms and shoulders alone, his leg dangling comically, causing Kaivan giggle slightly.

“Shut up, that’s all I can do right now. I’m not like you, jerk” climbing the rope as quietly and fast as he can, reaching the top at last.

Breathing heavily as the dark copper like color of his arm slowly faded away, as if nothing had happened.

“OK, now pull me up.” Said Kaivan, holding onto the rope. Smiling as he looked up, a content smile. In contrast to the angry and bitter face of Kvata.

After making their way back behind the walls, the two trouble makers split, one hauling the rope while the other hide the hook, As if they never left.

--------------------

“I’m home,” putting away his things as Kaivan greets his mother. 

Edda, siting by the hearth at the center of the hut, looking over to her son with a non amused glare, causing him to freeze in place.
“Kaivan Dark-Well…did you play outside of the walls again?” asked his mother, a tone very well known to him. 

A drop  of sweat dripped down his face.
“Nooo…” avoiding eye contact as he responded. In contrast to his mother’s glaring eyes, sighing in resignation, gesturing to sit by her side.

Shambling weakly, Kaivan moved over to sit by his mother’s side. Given a mortar and pestle, as well as a small basket of dried pepper. Sighing as he grounded the pepper seeds. Silently the two sit, one grinding pepper seed while the other crushes up pieces of dried meat.

“So, Kai…how were things outside? Its been a while since I left the walls, unlike you.” Glaring at him again, showing her disapproving look.

“W…well…the wildlife is plentiful…” shifting his eyes, avoiding her glare at every turn. “OH, and there were a lot of birds and squirrels….yeah” Kaivan smiled sheepishly at the glaring eyes, shrinking back into a clump of regret as he continues to grind the pepper seeds, passing the completed portion to her.
“Alright, that’s enough for now, can you bring that tallow over there.”
“Yeah, be right there,” bringing over the small cauldron of hot tallow, the two mother and son mixed together the dried meat, herbs and crushed up pepper amongst the tallow. Wrapping the small pucks in large leaves before storing them away. These small things, if preserve carefully could last for a few years.

Originally made by Kaivan to help preserve food for his mother and father’s long trip, now it has been well known amongst the hunters and journey man of the tribes. he of course refrained from telling them he learned it from a dream, receiving the title of it’s inventor . 

“Alright, this is enough, should last us the winter this year with this much,” nodding proudly, Kaivan crossed his arm victoriously. “My genius is terrifying, to think the pemmican that I made three years ago could have such an impact.”

“Yes, yes, our young chieftain is truly talented.” Edda patted his head softly, turning back to the hearth to finish the rest of the batch.

“Oh right, can I visit auntie Amberline tomorrow? I’ve been good” begged Kaivan as he hugged Edda’s hip, opening his eyes as wide as he can , attempting to overwhelm her with his pretty eyes.
“Tch, haaa…fine. Ill talk to your father when he comes back.” Unable to fight back against his cuteness attack, Edda has no choice but to relent. “But no more running around outside. Got that?” said Edda sternly at the boy.

“Ookayyy.”

0