Chapter 4 – Eli Who is Happy To Meet a Friend
23 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Of course, then it immediately brings up the topic again since it couldn’t just let it die a natural death as time had clearly intended so they spend the rest of the journey to town arguing about why getting some new gloves wouldn’t be prodigal or wasteful since avoiding hypothermia would probably be more cost-effective and practical in the long run.

Eli doesn’t understand why the voice can’t just shut up. He doesn’t think he’s asking for much, really, just some peace and quiet in his own mind, the supposedly most private part of his body.

Eli thinks all the books he read might've been bullshit 'cause what else would explain why the voice is so loud or even there in the first place?

It started after he smashed his head against some rocks so maybe if he bangs it against something hard enough it might go back?

‘Or you’ll get a concussion.’

Or he’ll get a concussion. 

But it’s still worth a shot, probably. Grandpa said nothing good comes easy and although Eli would usually point out that grandma came quite easily she also left immediately after dad so maybe he was right? or maybe he shouldn't have had an affair with a courtesan and believed her when she said he was her most special customer.

Grandpa said love made you dumb but Eli wouldn't know, the closest person he's ever felt that type of love for looked back at him in the mirror every morning. 

Some kids in the village had overheard him talking to the voice last week mistaking it for the bush so they ran up to him to ask him if he was born that stupid or if it just developed as he grew older. 

Eli doesn’t remember being that rude at their age but then again, he supposed most kids would look rude and fucking idiotic when compared to his younger, much superior self; he was really great kid. 

The best kid, even.

Mom used to be so proud of how well-behaved and obedient he was, then as time went by she started looking more uncomfortable whenever someone complimented those two attributes and absolutely nothing else. 

Eli wasn’t sure why she acted so bothered but she used to look at kids running around and then glance at him worriedly so he tried to act more outgoing and play in the mud like other kids in the village did. 

Which at the time worked weirdly well in closing up the growing gap in their relationship.

When other kids made gross mud cakes, he made a whole breakfast of fertile mud and left it on her bedside every morning. He didn't care if it hadn't rained for two months and there was a minor drought, Eli used to make mud to fulfill his morning obligation, he was that dedicated to the task.

When other kids found bird eggs Eii went for the real thing, he waited for the eggs to almost fully form before cooking them for her for lunch so she could have both the egg and the bird, the best of both worlds, really. And when other kids took live earthworms to their parents like barbaric cavemen Eli sprinkled salt on them before giving her their stiff corpses in a small wooden box so they wouldn't try to crawl away and last much longer in storage.

He was basically one-upping other kids and mom was always extremely happy every time.

Eli remembers one time he gave her all three at once on her birthday and she was so happy she cried.

Mom really had a passion for dead bugs, especially worms. At that time he didn't really understand it but he tried hard to accept her because she was his only mom and he really loved mom.

Then he tried to see the inside of Jimmy junior’s head and everything suddenly went to shit.

A familiar brown dress enters his line of sight and Eli’s glum mood immediately brightens. 

“Molly!” He yells over the crowd and she looks back in confusion. 

Seeing him waving, Molly’s lips quirk into a shy smile, she waves back.

Molly Tobihan, a dear friend and valuable member of their humble religious group; The emissaries of Love.

Knowing this would be the end of their interaction if left to her, Eil crosses through the ocean of thickly clothed townsfolk to stand behind her in line at the butcher’s shop. 

Meat during the winter months was always more expensive and scarce than usual. The lines at the butchers sometimes took half an hour and even then all the goof parts might've been already taken out when it gets to your turn. Maybe he’ll buy some bones for broth or something before going home. 

Grandpa is still on a soft food diet so eating meat despite his condition just seemed unnecessarily cruel and mean. 

Eli was a really good boy.

“Morning Mrs. Lucy! Hi Molly.” He greets them brightly, choosing to ignore Mrs. Lucy’s displeased expression to see him speaking so familiarly with her daughter.

Eli had expected something similar when he chose to greet Molly. Most parents usually don’t like seeing him speaking to their children, he’s come to discover. The voice says it’s because he pushed that rude kid down the hill last summer but Eli knows that’s not true. 

They didn’t like him before, either. 

“Hello, Eli.” Mrs. Lucy’s green eyes pause at his face then at his basket. Her expression sours further, “Off to no good again, I see.”  She says, a bit uncalled for and rude, to be honest. Eli thought he looked responsible and honest before leaving the house this morning. He looked like he was going to church.

“Not really.” Eli denies. He’s always up to good. That’s basically his life goal, to always spread good. In addition to integrity, honesty, wealth, status, strength, kindness and—Eli has a lot of life goals. “I’m here for Molly, actually. She missed last week’s meeting so I wondered if she felt alright.” 

And the meeting before, and the meeting before the meeting before. 

So she missed precisely three meetings worth of service with no explanation on her part at all. Usually, this would be a sign of someone trying to distance themselves from an organization but’s it probably Mrs. Lucy’s fault. 

"Meeting for what, exactly?" Mrs. Lucy squints suspiciously.

"Church," Eli replies. Or what essentially equates to church.

“Well, then color me surprised,” She drawls. But Eli doesn't really want to though, he doesn't think bright red would be her color.“I could’ve sworn you've never stepped foot in a church before, finally moving past all that--" She gestures at him, "--devilry, I presume." Rude. "Wasn’t aware you were even slightly religious from the way you act.”

'Bitch.' The voice mutters and Eli grins in agreement.

“Most people aren’t, actually, but I'm very devoted.” Sad but unfortunately very true. 

The older generation really liked calling him demon child until he started shoveling cow dung into their houses at night, then they stopped. “We worship the concept of love. But only in a familiar way; Love thy neighbors, love thy selves, and love thy enemies; That’s our main ideology.” 

In addition to some other minor clauses but they're really very minor. 

The big three ‘thy’s’ were the main star of the show.

“That’s...” Mrs. Lucy hesitates,” I’m not sure I’ve ever heard of it, Is it new?” 

“Oh no, it’s just very obscure.” 

“You don’t say?” 

“Uh-huh." Eli nods, walking further as the line shortens."It's a bit foreign too, I believe. A traveling pilgrim shared some scriptures earlier this spring and something about their ideology just-spoke to me, you see. It changed my life. For good. So I’ve shared the word with a few friends and we meet up in groups of five to ten every three days to perform small actions of community service around town. Last week we volunteered at the orphanage for a few hours to help the ladies out. The new batch of kids from Vannesburg we’re giving them a headache.” 

Mrs. Lucy looks stuck between doubt and disbelief. 

“Is that true, Molly?” She asks, 

“Yes mother,” Molly tugs at the strings of her bonnet, “I told you I didn’t make it up.”

Mrs. Lucy huffs,”From the way you acted you must excuse me for thinking you were meeting up with some rascal and-“ 

“Mother!” Molly exclaims, "You’re embarrassing me!… I promise it’s not what you think.” She tugs her bonnet over reddened ears.”We really are doing good work. And everyone's so nice and welcoming and-and- I’ve really made some good friends in the group. I like meeting up, it's fun.”

Mrs. Lucy opens her lips to speak but Eli quickly interrupts, 

“Our next meeting is tomorrow.” He pipes up, “ We’re helping some old couples on thirty-second street sweep snow from their roofs. Last year they had some help but their sons were drafted and never came back.” He brings drops his basket to bring out a paper from his pocket, handing it to her.  

Mrs. Lucy takes it skeptically, “Emissaries...Of Love?” She reads,

“It’s what we call ourselves." Eli explains brightly, it was either this or 'children of love' but they both agreed they liked emissaries better. Eli had wanted free laborers for the farm for quite a while and the voice suggested forming this group, "Our mission is to spread love in our communities, making the world a better place through every action of kindness. And when we don’t have service we read books, talk, play games, and generally, we’re just a community for those where kids who feel alone can find some friends.” 

“...Adorable.” Mrs. Lucy’s expression softens.”But is it safe?” 

“Definitely!" Eli reassures. "We even have a professional working with us.”

Which technically is not a lie. 

Most roof sweepers have only their adulthood as a qualification. 

Eli though, has five years of roof sweeping under his belt. 

He’s practically a professional roof sweeper.  

“Then,” Mrs. Lucy hesitates, “I guess I’ll have to see for myself tomorrow. And If what you claim is true... Molly shall be allowed attendance.”

“Really?!” Molly exclaims hopefully. 

Only if it’s true.” Mrs. Lucy quickly clarifies, “Now have a good day Eli, we must get going.” She drags Molly in the direction of the fish market. 

Molly's free hand sends Eli an enthusiastic thumbs up and Eli sends one back. 

He’s so glad Mrs. Lucy had a change of heart. 

Townfolks usually paid higher when they had more kids in the group, 

2