Chapter 3. The Indie Arts Festival
81 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

‘To think Yuya-san is about to submit his work to the Indie Arts Festival...’

 

Indie Arts Festival. For independent artists, this festival is a platform to showcase their works. It is a renowned festival, known for giving birth to many famous artists.

 

And one could see why participating in it at such a young age would be surprising. Animation is a field where one needs to have a lot of experience. The Indie Festival indeed provides a platform, but it is impossible for a newcomer to win the prize.

 

“Or at least, everyone thought until Yuya Kanzaki won it.”

 

Hashiba Kyouya remembered watching this piece of news. It was the first time the talent named Yuya Kanzaki stepped into the eyes of the public.

 

“Those drawings and the colouring using pastels... Without a doubt, it is that short film.”

 

There is no way he could mistake those. The panels he witnessed at Yuya’s were the same he saw in his previous life. The glances of Yuya's first independent anime film made roars in the community.

 

“To think I got the moment to see those...”

 

For an avid fan like him, the chance he got to witness it behind the scenes was truly something that made him exhilarated.

 

 

While Kyouya was celebrating his chance to witness it, he didn’t know that on the other end, that surprised face of his had made troubled waves for Yuya.

 

“Damn it! Why was Kyouya surprised?”

 

That issue distressed him enough to make him unable to continue his work. It stuck to him like a poison that wouldn’t go without an antidote. He slammed his pen on the desk and started to explore the possible causes behind it.

 

If that reaction was shown by some other person, Yuya might not worry much. But who is Kyouya? He is a regressor! He comes from the future. And his reactions aren’t as easy to scoff off as breathing.

 

“Why did he react like that? Did he see my anime in the future?”

 

Now, Yuya’s emotions have transformed from distress to nervousness. To think that someone knows the result of his anime, yet he couldn't ask about it. What would he say? Kyouya, I know you’re a regressor. So, spat out the result of the Indie Festival.

 

That is supposed to be that man’s most hidden secret. And if he blows it, how will he explain? Oh! I am not a regressor, but a simple man who remembers his past life. My ass!

 

“I can’t ask him.”

If he can’t ask him, how could he know about the future? But wait! Does he have to know about the future? If he wants to know it at all costs, it means…

 

“Am I that unconfident about my work?”

 

No!

 

Yuya might be unconfident about anything else but not his animation. It’s not just his, but the pride of his previous life as well. If he is that scared and is not confident about it, he better not submit it to the festival.

 

“Unconfident? That is impossible.”

 

All his distress and worries vanished in front of his self-confidence, and he took up the pen to continue the panel he left incomplete. After several minutes, he completed that piece. It was perfect. But after judging it for a couple of seconds, he erased it and restarted it.

 

Why?

 

As confident he is in himself and his work, there might be a slight chance, which he doesn’t believe, but still a slight chance that his work might fail. Plus that expression…

 

“I am confident, but there is no harm in improving it.”

 

 

Next day, Oonaka University Arts.

 

‘Damn! If not for attendance, I wouldn’t have bothered coming to the class.’

 

With heavy eyes, Yuya was steeling himself against falling asleep. Last night, he went on to overwork on his project. He already used to overwork, but now, with the knowledge that he has a slight chance of failure (which he still doesn't believe in), the workload has increased.

 

He just wanted to use his arms as pillows and doze off, but he didn’t want to get a smack from that red-haired woman. So, all he could do was keep his bloodshot eyes open as much as he could.

 

But this time, instead of that red-haired woman, the one who entered to teach was an old man in a suit. From the murmurs, he is supposed to be famous, but to the ignorant and tired him, this is the perfect opportunity to sleep.

 

“Kyouya.”

 

“Yes?”

 

“Wake me if the class ends.”

 

“A-Alright.”

 

Now, Kyouya was troubled. Both his classmates - Yuya on the left and Tsurayuki on the right, being hard workers, fell asleep. And not just that, they started to snore too.

 

The old man started his lecture. The subject - Scenario Writing. He took up the chalk, and wrote the heading - “Ten Elements of Scenario Writing.” And listed down eight instead of all ten.

 

Development. Fate. Device. Determination. Emotion. Climax. Ending. Theme.

 

“I have written down eight of them. Does anyone know the other tw–”

 

“Yes, sir.”

 

Before he could complete his question, a hand was up, and it belonged to the same - a red-haired girl akin to Misaki Kanou, that red-haired teacher.

 

“Oh! I like that energy. What is your name?”

 

“Kawasegawa Eiko.”

 

What if the name is different? If Yuya were awake, he could easily deduce that this girl is definitely related to Misaki Kanou. After all, even without his otherworld memories, he could tell that her nature… It is totally identical to that woman.

 

“Is it Disorder?”

 

And she went on to explain it. Disorder, in simpler terms, means an unexpected development. In a story, there won’t be any substance if the hero or the protagonist never fails. There is no one who doesn’t have a weakness.

 

“Excellent! Correct answer. What about the other one?”

 

“I will let someone else answer it. I don’t want to hog it all the time. Hmm… The ones snoring behind, are you qualified enough to answer?”

1