Chapter 25.2 Black Mug
5 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

This particular teleportation felt like being sucked in a violent whirl of water before being spit out somewhere else. It felt like being ripped apart in a twisting part, before being put together, as the whirling slowly stopped and your organs slowly moved bag to the place where they belonged.

Bara staggered around like drunk, who was spinned around for a bit to long. Erin on the other hand stood completely motionless, like a statue, not even her chest seemed to move. After a few second Erin started to move again and Bara stopped to wobble around.

They had barely enough time to take their surrounding, which a big room, lavishly decorated in art made of gold and gems of all kinds. The few sources of light were reflected by all the glamour, creating a dim noble lighting. A person approached them, a slender human clothed in formal black clothes, similar to a butler. Their long black hair and the, stereotypical black and white mask, with a happy and sad side, gave no indication to their gender, not that anyone was interested to know.

The butler slowly approached them, before greeting them with a small bow.

Greetings esteemed guests, of the Nightfowl Ball. A Ball so marvelous that everything that you can imagine, desire is sold at our auction.”

The Butler said their voice growing as their put everything into the delivery of these two sentences. The over bursting proudness could clearly be heard in this delivery. Yet is also sounded somewhat staged. Just a number repeating the same melody over and over like a broken musicbox. They continued in a low formal voice.

My name is 187 one of the many bound shadows of this humble estate. Our duty is to attend to our esteemed guests, each and every need. My Duty in particular is to provide with the needed knowledge on how to conduct oneself properly on this gorgeous estate. Let me first offer you this.”

They moved their empty hands, which they had folded behind their back, and held them outstretched opening them. The moment they did two mask appeared in their hands. The left one was a black and golden one only covering the mouth, an intricate piece of art, displaying the mouth of a demonic beast with towering teeth. The other mask was less a mask but more a filigree construct made of golden lines moving along and converging around blood red gems. It was immediately clear for who these mask were meant. Bara and Erin wordlessly took their masks without words and placed them on their faces. Neither of them showed any reaction to the fact that they had been expected. Yet hidden behind their crafted masks and those of their face, their mind was churning on who they had found out about their arrival. How much had they seen how much did they know?

These mask serve to obscure your identity, so no one will figure out who you are no matter what clothes you wear. We strongly advice keeping them on. The first rule of this estate: A closed door is a closed door even if it’s not locked. An estate is no place for such barbaric things as weapons or fights, especially for such a noble estate. So please refrain from any of such low acts. Cleaning up the resulting mess is always quite the chore. Please be civil, or we have to remove you.”

The last sentence of the Butler was merely a low whisper, a thread not even concealed. They seemed to be sure that they could handle them. That they even where operating with all the heroes in town, meant that they were either arrogant or string enough to not fear even the mightiest.

The Butler slowly lead Erin and Bara through the estate. Showing them some rooms and halls of interest or explaining some mundane details. Such as which ruler was depicted in this painting, who legendary this crystal, was or how someone stole this leather sting from a queens nightgown, while she had been sleeping in it. Truly mundane details.

Finally they stopped before a big winged door. On both sides of the door in a neat and tidy line a plethora of masked human and others stood, clothed in maid dresses and butler uniforms. 187 moved to the others, instantly melting together with to others becoming just another of the many attendants.

Bara and Erin slowly walked towards the big door which slowly opened as they came closer. Yet they couldn’t see what was happening behind it. It seemed as if the light was always falling in away that prevented anyone from looking through.

Another display of Magic. Bara wasn’t liking it. It was to much magic littered around. It would probably be harder sneaking around her than in the castle. At least she had Erin who could see and deceiver the magic.

With one step they entered through the door. On the other side was a big hall light in dim light filled with masked persons holding drinks and snacks and happily chatting with each other and listening to the soft music played by the band in the background.

No matter how hard Bara tried she couldn’t clearly identify the clothes the others were wearing. She could only clearly identify the masks. The clothes looked like clothes, but somehow not. As if they were something completely different, but still giving the illusion of clothes. If she didn’t knew it any better she would thing that she was high.

The masks really work huh.”

There is also a tracking spell on them.”

Shit. So much so to sneaking around.”

Bara couldn’t hold her disappointment. She still made sure that nobody would hear her outburst. She wouldn’t be so unprofessional to let this outburst blow their cover.

Suddenly Erin grabbed her head with both hands, moving her head closer as she went for a kiss. Startling Bara completely, with this sudden and out of character action of hers. Nonetheless she immediately reacted, reciprocate the sudden display of affection, by flinging her arms around Erin burrying them in her cloak.

A murmur went through the nearby guests, but returned to the normal background noise within seconds. Apparently a sudden display of affection was nothing, out of the ordinary on this ball.

Erin didn’t let go of Bara for at least a minute. Bara didn’t mind. This could last for all eternity for all she cared. Although she would prefer that there are no mask between their faces. She had all the time to wonder what Erins intention was with this action. She wouldn’t do this out of the blue. Bara didn’t know her as an emotional person, who would do such shows of affection. Neither did they have a relationship close enough for such displays.

After some time Erin stirred, pulling Bara closer for a hug. Her hands found hers as they converged, something cold slipped into Baras hand.

This gem is the tracking magic of your mask. Have fun.”

Erin whispered into Baras ear, before separating herself from Bara. She then disappeared into the crowd of masked guests, melting in the sea of hidden faces. Bara couldn’t even see Erin’s only visible horn sticking out from the crowd.

It was time to start snooping around. Erin would probably sneak around the areas she shouldn’t and Bara would be left with the duty to make connections and figure the timetable of the event out and maybe some identities.

That would certainly fun. Bara smiled under her mask before she started to walk towards the loudest part of the masked crowd.

The cards where dealt and she held the Knight of Blades and the Queen. What cards did the others have? What was their ace up their sleeve. This truly would be fun, just as Erin said.

0