Aria Fredericka
32 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

On a mid-afternoon, multiple weeks after Surveyor Hannick had left the village, the scouting team returned once again. This time, however, they had guests. Within the Foch of the scouting team were two humans: Surveyor Hannick and Aria Fredericka.

Aria Fredericka stood a half-head shorter than Lianna, her greying hair adorning a face that was starting to show the weight of time. She walked in the group, standing next to Lianna. Waiting for the group was Elenora, standing on the forest floor at the edge of the village.

“So, Samuel’s mother arrives,” she muttered to herself.

The returning party got to where Elenora was standing. The Foch members walked by to return to the raised buildings of the village, while Elenora gave her hand to Aria Fredericka to greet her.

“You must be Ms. Fredericka,” she said.

Aria nodded, and shook Elenora’s hand.

“Yes. I apologise for my subordinate’s behaviour ending up being your problem,” Aria responded.

“Well, can’t say I’m entirely happy about what led to your son being here, but his presence has hardly been a problem. I’d call it even.”

The two leaders began to make their way up to the walkways of the village.

“Has he been good?” Aria asked.

“Hahahaha! He’s been a favourite of everyone.” answered Elenora.

“He’s been trying to help my sister cook,” added Lianna.

Lianna had drifted back to walk with Elenora and Aria, having heard them converse.

“Has he really now? I feel like I should be more surprised than I am. What’s your name, miss?”

“Lianna Miradottir. We’ve had your son in the guest room in my home while he’s been here. I’m sorry you had to come out this way--”

“Lianna, don’t be sorry. If anything, the captain of mine who drove him to you should be sorry, and he’s currently learning how to be very sorry. May I ask, where is he now?”

Aria looked at the gold-eared Foch as she asked her question. The group was ascending the walkway up to the village level.

“He’s in the eating hall, cooking with my older sister Freyja, and hopefully not getting into trouble.” Lianna said.

“Trouble? Really?”

“Freyja’s been giving him ideas to annoy Lianna the past few days,” interjected Elenora.

“And I keep telling that annoying sister of mine to stop!”

Aria giggled. Lianna looked at Aria after the sudden laughter.

“What, do you want him to annoy me?” Lianna asked.

“I’m sorry, I’ve always known my son to be a quiet one, so hearing about him actually causing trouble of his own accord is an interesting development. Elenora, do you mind if I see him for a moment before we have our meeting?” Aria said.

“That’s quite alright with me. Lianna, can you take Aria here to Samuel?” Elenora said.

“Okay, Chief,” Lianna answered.

Elenora walked on ahead to her office in the village, leaving Lianna and Aria as a matched pair.

“The rest of the scouting team is probably in the eating hall right now, so I can’t exactly say it’ll be quiet,” Lianna said.

“That’s quite alright, wouldn’t be the first time being in a room with other people. Besides, I’ve had plenty of serious meetings lately, I wouldn’t mind a little noise.”

Lianna and Aria continued to the eating hall. Getting to the top of the ramp to the village walkways, Aria turned back to face Lianna.

“The chief said she’d put Samuel in your place. Has he been too much of a bother?” Aria asked.

“Hardly. He’s a good kid,”

“Well, at least I succeeded there.”

Aria chuckled as the two made their way to the eating hall. There was the noise of the scouting team from the hall when Lianna and Aria approached. Rounding the corner to enter, Lianna yelled to the group:

“We have guests here, so do try to not make a fool of yourself!”

She then turned back to face Aria, and led her to an empty table. The two took seats, and Lianna waved at her sister in the cooking area. Freyja knew what she meant.

“Samuel must have been with my sister. He’s been into helping with the cooking,” Lianna said.

Samuel came around to the table, and saw Aria sitting down at the table. The two came together for a hug.

“I’m glad to see you okay, Samuel,” Aria said.

“I’m sorry for making you worry,” Samuel responded.

Samuel, after reconnecting with his mother, found a seat next to her.

“I assume you got my letter?” Aria asked.

“Yeah, I did,” he said.

“That’s good.”

Samuel looked downward, seemingly having a question on his mind.

“What’s the question, Sam?”

“I… should have I not have run away?” he asked.

“Was it stupid? Yeah. You could have gotten yourself killed. But that’s in the past now, isn’t it?”

Aria looked at her son. She didn’t look with scorn, or disgust.

“Don’t beat yourself up about it, Samuel,” said Mai.

Mai appeared as she said that from the areas behind Samuel, swooping down and around in front of him.

“Oh? Who is this?” Aria asked.

The spirit turned around to face Aria.

“My name’s Mai, I’m one of the spirits around here. You must be Samuel’s mother, then?”

“Yes, that’s right. Have you been keeping my son out of trouble?”

Mai smiled, or the equivalent for a spirit of the area.

“Just as much as he’s been keeping himself out of it,”

Aria furrowed her brow slightly with Mai’s evasive answer.

“Well… oh well.” Aria said.

Mai turned back to face Samuel.

“What’s done is done. Besides, from your mother’s letter, it seems you’ve done some good for her, if by accident.” she said.

One of the other Foch of the village appeared by the door to the eating hall. He called for Aria, and she turned around to see who was calling for her.

“I’ll be there in a minute,” she said.

Aria turned back to face her son.

“Well, I have to go talk with the chief here. I’m going to stay for the festival in a few days, so we’ll have more time to catch up.”

She began to stand up to leave. Before doing so, she gave her son a smile.

“It’s good to see you smiling,” she said.

Aria went for the door, and left. After watching her leave, Mai turned to face Samuel again.

“She’s a good person,” she said.

“I should know, she’s my mother,” Samuel said.

0