Chapter 26: Flowers Blooming on a Stone
12 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Avoiding the delay that happened last time, Orb woke up at dawn and accomplished his morning tasks of cleaning the front and inner courtyards smoothly and in time. Of course, Orb was able to do that successfully because Vermon had secretly reprimanded Huhu, warning him not to get in Orb’s way while he was doing his work, and that explained Huhu’s minding his own business that morning.

When he served Vermon his breakfast, Orb showed no inclination to comply with Vermon’s orders to say his greetings upon entering the chamber and address him as master. Orb also refrained from reacting to Vermon’s questions and remarks that often provoked him.

That unexpectedly did not please Vermon in the least. Even though he wanted an obedient slave and did what he could to tame him, Vermon realized that he was used to reacting to the openly defiant side of Orb. He wanted that and anticipated it not only because he was the hunter and Orb was his quarry, but also because it filled him with a sense of superiority and power.

Vermon was used to fighting other males throughout the years to satisfy his desire for recognition and dominance. Confronting Orb in any form renewed his sense of superiority and quenched his thirst for overpowering others. After all, Vermon was naturally a fighter and could not fulfill his desires without physical exertion.

However, considering Orb’s position as a slave, Vermon would never put into words the value of Orb as a man, yet he longed to confront him. The same applied to inflicting pain on Orb and the latter stabbing, biting, or fighting him in retaliation. This is not to say that Vermon was a sadist or a masochist. It was his special way of acknowledging Orb as a man of worth and a formidable foe.

Therefore, Vermon did not permit Orb to leave the bedchamber and made him stand by the door. He sought ways to test and tease Orb as he felt the strange change that affected the mood and conduct of his defiant slave.

While chewing his food, Vermon watched Orb intently and wondered about his strange behavior since the day he was punished in the isolation room. It was a strange, heavy, sad withdrawal, and Vermon hated it as it negatively affected his mood.

He saw Orb standing tall and holding his spine straight, but his face was pale, his left eye was noticeably red, and his eyelids were swollen.

Did he spend his night crying? Vermon suspected, and he stopped eating for a moment. “How are your legs today?’ he asked, “Do they hurt?”

“They don’t hurt,” Orb responded quietly.

Vermon asked his arbitrary question to test the temperament of his slave. However, as soon as he received Orb’s brief answer, Vermon began to swallow his food without chewing, in increasing irritation.

He doesn’t seem to want to talk. Vermon hmphed audibly. How unpleasant!

Silence filled the place for minutes, after which Vermon tried again. “Don’t worry about the Crown Prince’s books. They’re safe,” he said while looking at Orb inquisitively.

“...”

Another moment of silence followed.

“I didn’t destroy them,” Vermon asserted.

“...”

Vermon’s eyes narrowed as he waited for a reaction from Orb, and he knew what was coming. Therefore, he sighed audibly and finally blurted out in irritation, “say something! Damn it!”

Orb, who was folding his hands in front of him, waiting for new orders from Vermon, did not know what to do with Vermon’s unwavering attempts to harass him. He did not know whether to laugh or cry because of Vermon’s childish behavior and selfish personality.

Vermon did not seem to feel guilty about what he had done to Orb the past two days, and on top of that, he deliberately talked about the two valuable books he confiscated. So rather than getting caught up in Vermon’s emotional traps and being subjected to further harm, Orb tried a different topic.

He turned to Vermon and said, “Vermon….”

Vermon rested his head on his hand while leaning with his left elbow on the table. “What is it?” he asked.

“Will you let me spend some time in your inner courtyard?”

“Why?” His eyes sparkled with anticipation.

Orb unconsciously rubbed his left eye as he answered quietly, “Today, I discovered a new flower in your courtyard that needs special attention.”

“New flower?”

“I believe it is a new species; it has soft stems, heart-shaped leaves, and large petals,” Orb explained.

Vermon was silent for some time, slightly annoyed. “The devil! He speaks passionately about a silly plant but finds no words to answer my simple questions!” he grumbled inaudibly to himself. He sat up straight and said casually, “I didn’t know there was a flower like that in my yard.”

“There is,” Orb paused for a moment and added, “It is an eight-petal flower with a scent that resembles mint and basil. Can I—” Orb was startled by Vermon grabbing his arm at that moment and felt a refreshing gust of cool air around him that smelled of wet grass and flowers.

***

Did he teleport me to the courtyard? Orb felt overwhelmed.

This was the third time Orb had experienced teleportation with Vermon. He could detect the instant temperature change from the confined warmth of Vermon’s bedchamber to the cool-scented fresh air of the open yard.

“What? Awestruck?” Vermon stood smiling proudly with his arms akimbo.

“Yes,” Orb answered plainly.

Vermon felt exultation following Orb’s candid words and raised his head, maintaining a sense of superiority over him. He wanted to tell Orb that teleportation was a unique ability among the elites of Arkosia and that allowing someone from the lower class to be teleported was considered a privilege.

“We are standing under the willow tree,” Vermon freed Orb’s arm and continued, “Show me the flower you were talking about.”

“I’m—not blind” Orb responded with a tinge of annoyance in his voice, “I—can see, I assure you!”

“…”

He watched Orb proceed with very careful steps toward the only statue in the courtyard. When he stood opposite the low pedestal, Orb’s fingers cautiously felt the stone skulls.

“Here,” Orb said softly.

Vermon walked over and stood next to Orb as he stared at the flower in genuine curiosity. From the empty socket of one skull, slender green stems with thick foliage twisted and whirled up to the statue’s right leg. These rebellious stems carried many tiny, enclosed blood-red buds, among which one flower grew with wide almond-shaped petals in a dark blue color, with a glowing red streak down the center.

“I’ve never seen it!” Vermon finally said. How did he discover this almost hidden thing with damaged eyes? He was genuinely amazed.

“Would you please describe the petals’ color to me?”

After hesitating for a few moments, Orb requested this without looking at Vermon, who turned his curious gaze from the flower to Orb’s face.

“Can’t you s…I mean, why should I tell you?” Vermon grumbled. “I can’t believe we are having this kind of conversation! This is not normal!”

Trying not to be affected by the sorrowful look on Orb’s face, Vermon failed. Although he felt slightly irritated, he could not help replying after a moment of silence. “The petals are as dark blue as space, if you know what I mean,” Vermon added while still looking at Orb, “and each petal has a red streak down its center.”

Orb’s delicate fingers gently caressed the leaves, then the petals. “They’re so beautiful.” His eyes were wet as he spoke softly. “I’ve never read about them in any book, and I’ve never seen anything like them my whole life.” He cleared the lump from his throat and went on, “It is the only one in this place. I’m sure it is the only one in the whole world. Please let me take care of it.”

Vermon did not move, his eyes glued to Orb’s face, whose lips were slightly apart as if there were remnants of words that did not come out. He suspected that Orb was about to cry and did not like it.

Saying ‘please’ again. It became more frequent after my release from prison. I wonder what changed him.

“Yes, you may take care of it,” Vermon furrowed his forehead and squinted his eyes in reflection, “You are not needed now. I believe Riecho is waiting for you in the isolation room.”

“...”

Seeing that Orb was busy rubbing his left eye without saying a word vexed Vermon. I don’t like it. The whole atmosphere I don’t like it.

Seeing that Orb did not move, Vermon summoned Huhu, who was standing by the door of the servants’ quarters and ordered him to take Orb back to the isolation room and keep him locked up.

***

Thus, Orb returned to the isolation room for the rest of the day. Leaning against the wall and at other times against the disciplinary pillar, he dozed off intermittently, which reflected his dark and strange mood that day.

Orb did not seem interested to know or concerned about the punishments that awaited him and with which Vermon threatened him for taking the antidote by himself. Vermon also stayed away that day and did not carry out his threats.

When Riecho prepared the doses of the antidote and brought them to Orb where he sat, he drank the bitter liquid slowly but absent-mindedly, without looking at her or showing any desire to chat with her. Riecho did not like the change in Orb’s behavior and reported that to her master, who returned home late that day. Vermon listened intently but said nothing.

When Vermon teleported from his chamber to the isolation room and remained invisible that night, he found Orb asleep in his usual corner. There was an ominous feeling when Vermon looked at the disciplinary pillar.

Therefore, he walked over to the pillar and quietly pulled out the whip, the ropes, and even the pegs that kept them fastened to the wooden structure. Turning to the sleeping young man, Vermon looked concerned.

“Orb, I just returned from the Imperial Palace. I asked Jerboa to come to see you tomorrow,” he whispered.

***

End of Chapter (26)

 

0