Chapter 30: Vermon Meets the Emperor
14 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

After Jerboa’s return to Akinos, Orb retired to his room, but it was too quiet, bleak, and dark. He was in a big house with many people inside but felt alone and lonely. Therefore, to escape that feeling, Orb spent much of his time in the inner courtyard, unaware of his being under the constant secret observation of the servants and Vermon.

On the tenth morning after the incident, Orb got rid of the bandages around his hands. The wounds have healed but left small scars on both hands. On that day, he left his new room, quietly feeling his way through to the corridor, the inner courtyard, the servants’ quarters, and the backyard where the isolation room was.

Orb genuinely thought that he no longer needed to stay in the house's private quarters after fully recovering from the fever. However, when he stood in front of the isolation room and felt the door, he found it locked and secured with chains.

“My master ordered you out of the room,” Huhu’s contemptuous voice came a few meters away, “permanently.” He hissed. Huhu then walked to him and added, “What are you doing here? You no longer have to come to this place.”

Although Huhu was sympathetic days ago, due to Orb’s going blind and his collapse, his feelings of jealousy and resentment were renewed after he found out that Orb had obtained the room adjacent to his master’s bedchamber.

He believed that Orb had the full backing of the Crown Prince and possibly the Treasurer of the Empire, Lord Barloschios, who was rumored to be interested in Orb and had tried to trade his valuable possessions and treasures for Orb.

“I don’t understand their continued interest in him even after going completely blind, this devil!” Huhu mumbled.

On the other hand, Orb let out a breath of relief, because that meant he would not be isolated from others and would enjoy the daily excursions to the willow pond and the warmth of his new room all the time, even though it was next to Vermon’s room.

However, there was the possibility that Vermon could take all this from him, for he did not want to fully trust Vermon and his decisions. Orb was fully aware of the volatility of his moods and the ferocity of his nature, no matter how gently he tried to act or secretly punish himself in Thorns Hill.

When Orb returned to the inner courtyard and walked down the corridor, he heard measured but heavy footsteps approaching. That was Vermon meeting him on the same path, and he happened to leave the private quarters for the Imperial Palace.

Orb stopped. “Vermon?” he quietly said.

Vermon continued walking at the same pace without saying a word but came to a halt when Orb suddenly extended his right hand and grabbed Vermon’s arm to stop him.

“What do you want?” Vermon sounded solemn.

“...”

Hearing his dry tone, Orb thought Vermon was in a bad mood, so he hesitated.

“What are you intending to do?” Orb asked in a faint voice.

“Nothing,” Vermon gave a short reply.

“Are you— going to kill me?”

“Did you stop me to ask that?” Vermon was irritated by Orb’s question.

The pleasant scent of his blood reached Orb’s lungs and calmed his desire to respond to Vermon in ferocity, so he merely responded with a simple “Yes.”

Vermon decided to ignore Orb’s unreasonable question. He grabbed Orb’s hand, put it down, carried himself proudly, and looked ahead as he resumed walking. “I am taking Orize[1] today,” he sounded detached and did not glance back at Orb, who remained standing in his spot.

Vermon’s words startled Orb as they indicated his knowledge about Orb’s daily short excursions to the stables in the past few days. Why did he bring Orize up? Did he know that I went there yesterday? Orb suspected that he had been secretly watched again.

It was Jerboa who suggested the idea and took Orb there after convincing him that Vermon kept one of his prized possessions in the stables. Orb secretly suspected that the beast was none other than the one that tormented him since their first encounter but wanted more than ever to see him.

When Orb pushed open the doors and entered the stables for the first time, the stable boy, who usually patrolled the place and would not allow anyone in, did not obstruct him but stood by the doors, watching with curious eyes.

Inside the low brick structure, the massive gray stallion occupied a clean and wide stall. He stared right at Orb before tossing his head, as if beckoning him. Alas, the young man, with whom Orize was acquainted, was unable to see.

“I believe Orize is beckoning you, my lord,” Jerboa said thoughtfully as he stood over Orb’s shoulder and scanned the clean and wide stalls around them. “The place is exceptionally clean and well-ventilated,” he added with admiration.

“So his name is Orize,” Orb whispered. I don’t remember Vermon mentioning his name in my presence, Orb contemplated.

Orb did not know what to feel; should he feel excitement at meeting Orize or sorrow at his inability to see him or the place Jerboa just admired? Eventually, Orb approached the beast and extended his hand in the air, and the stallion pawed the ground and arched his neck toward Orb.

As soon as Orb touched and patted his neck, the black-eyed beast swung his head up and carried it high, looking proud and fierce. Orb’s mood improved slightly; he could not help revealing a small smile that also made Jerboa smile in relief.

“He likes you but won’t let you touch him too much,” Jerboa chuckled.

His temper is like his owner’s, Orb believed. It was not the first time the two had met, for Orize was the very aggressive horse that dragged Orb down the Awa Mountains to the Empamalangon’s port and across the streets of the Arkosian Capital. He was also the beast that took Orb to the Carnival of Shadows and carried him home that night. Of course, Orb would not blame the beast or dislike him for carrying out his master’s orders. He found Orize immensely interesting and likable, and he wanted to see and stroke him again if Vermon allowed it.

The thought made him think about the unusual generosity of Vermon to let him wander around the house freely, without threats and punishments. He also appreciated the flexibility of the stable boy to let him approach his master’s most valued horse without a complaint.

When he finally broke free of his thoughts, Orb realized he was alone in the corridor. Vermon’s disappearance from the place was felt by the absence of his scent and the clanking of the ornaments adorning his blue coat.

He left again. I cannot help but wonder if his refusal to kill me was because he hated me and wished to abuse me more or because of something else. I am tired. How long will he continue to do this to me?

***

That morning, the emperor sent a messenger to summon Vermon, who left his house to the Imperial Palace without delay. As he rode Orize at a fast gallop, Vermon smiled at the sudden thought of his horse, who had acted restless in the stables a few days ago when Orb collapsed.

Although Orize could not speak the human language like Jerboa, he understood and reacted to what others said. Hearing the stable boy and other servants talk about Orb’s suicide attempt and subsequent illness must have worried the beast about his blind acquaintance.

Since then, Orize had been restless, neighed anxiously, and would not calm down unless they let him out of the stall to walk toward the empty isolation room or the front courtyard.

Only Vermon could force him to return to the stables in the first three days, as the beast and his master shared similar temperaments and understood each other better than anyone else. However, when Orb made his first visit to the stables on the early morning of the fourth day, Orize was quite pleased and did not make trouble the remainder of the day. And in the following days, he stayed in the stables and waited patiently for his blind acquaintance’s visit.

“What has gotten into you, Orize?” Vermon spoke to his horse, “Suddenly showing affection to him!” He smirked as he realized that Orb had made new friends besides Jerboa, although he was not sure whether Orb knew that.

***

The main gate of the Imperial Palace led to the great square and was paved with substantial white marble stones. Around 150 massive marble columns were erected around the yard, with fires on top of them that did not die out for centuries.

The guards, distributed throughout the square and on the stairs, wore blue leather armor with sheets of metal on their backs, on which was engraved the black emblem of the empire: a ring of eight straight lines with a short sword in the middle. Each guard was equipped with a long spear, topped with a metal head radiating a black and white flash, and a group of them stood in particular formation guarding the entrance to the Reception Hall.

Upon Vermon’s arrival, he traversed the vast hall without looking up at the one massive statue of Uthus, the founder of Arkosia, and the thirteen more statues of the same size of his descendants who ruled the empire. These stone sculptures were hauntingly and majestically colossal; they stretched over one hundred meters high, with their fine but strong hands holding the ceiling of the Great Hall.

From behind the throne of Arkos, the thirteenth emperor of Arkosia, which tops the hall, a great wall of colored-glass windows extended from floor to ceiling and generously allowed the sunlight into the place.

Those large windows depicted scenes from the ancient history of the empire and the lives of its great rulers. Animating the space with colorful glimmering lights, those windows added a sense of mystery and awe, very much befitting the descendants of the great founder.

The only dull part of the scene was Arkos himself though he was charismatic and good-looking. With his firm skin, long black hair, and black eyes, Arkos retained the appearance of a young man, like many Uthusians, despite reaching hundreds of years. His physical strength was not weakened by time or endless confrontations, as one strike of his bare hand was enough to send the heads of his opponents flying.

According to many high officials, the issue was regarding his choice of outfits. For black was the emperor’s favorite color and an integral part of his elegant appearance. Of course, no one said anything about the natural black color of his hair and goatee, but Arkos liked wearing black coats, pants, belts, gloves, shoes, and cloaks over his shoulders.

Yet, thanks to the great efforts and attentiveness of Lord Barloschios, who gifted the emperor gold chains and bright gemstones on numerous occasions to adorn his cloaks, gloves, or belts, one could sometimes but not always find something interesting to look at and admire in the emperor’s outfits.

Aside from this, Arkos was exceptional. Ruling the empire with an iron hand, Arkos monitored the decisions of his ministers and advisers, attended to his people’s smallest affairs, and dedicated himself to their wellbeing. Therefore, he provided the Arkosians with a life of comfort and nurtured their sense of superiority, filling them with awe, respect, and fear of him.

When Vermon dropped to his knees before the throne in submission and saluted the emperor, he noticed the latter standing as well, as if he were waiting impatiently for his arrival. Vermon suspected that this was all about the emperor’s son, Akinos.

“Rise, Vermon,” Arkos sounded stern. “And come closer.”

Vermon rose and stepped forward. With his hands interlocked behind his back, Arkos carried himself proudly and proceeded to speak to Vermon with his deep, thick voice echoing throughout the lobby.

“Akinos has left this dawn for the Kingdom of Empamalangon without giving notice and without my permission, and I do not know why he suddenly left,” Arkos frowned. “Did he say anything to you regarding the purpose of his leaving the empire for that particular land?”

Standing at the foot of the throne to face the emperor, Vermon did not need to raise his voice because he was fully confident that Arkos, who stood over him with tens of meters between them, could hear him clearly.

“No, Your Majesty.”

“Speak, Vermon,” Arkos permitted Vermon to speak freely.

“We were together yesterday but he didn’t say anything, Your Majesty. I do remember him telling me weeks ago about his wish to go to the Kingdom of Empamalangon; however, he didn’t give any details because the purpose of his visit was of a very personal nature, I believe,” he replied confidently but cautiously.

“Personal?” Arkos stood like one statue among many in the hall, yet he spoke with the same tone. “It is not the first time he has done this.”

Vermon saw the magnificent dark shape of the old ruler unclasp his hands and swoop down his throne swiftly, with his silky black cloak flying up behind him. The whole scene was majestic yet intimidating.

When he landed on his feet, Arkos said in an authoritative tone, “I command you to go find the Crown Prince and note his course. You must report to me the purpose of his traveling at this time of the year.”

“At your command, Your Majesty,” Vermon bowed his head.

Keeping his head low before the emperor, who stood opposite him, Vermon saw the great pointed black shoes declare the closed distance between the two.

“Did he really not tell you anything?”

“Nothing, Sire.”

A moment of silence ensued. “Even though you are his friend, and I am his father, we know nothing of his thoughts! I must remind you to protect Akinos and be with him no matter what,” Arkos said in a low voice which revealed his hidden displeasure.

“Yes, Sire,” Vermon said.

Despite his power and brutality, Arkos, the thirteenth ruler of the Arkosian empire, was an overprotective father to the point of arousing suspicion among the empire’s higher officials of his mistrust of the Crown Prince’s actions and decisions.

Their most significant piece of evidence was the emperor’s decision to stop sending Vermon, the empire’s Golden Knight, to special missions in the colonies and assign him to be the Crown Prince’s companion and guard so he could trace him every time he left the border.

Vermon’s private meeting with the emperor was not his first but was preceded by many that concerned his friend, the Crown Prince. Vermon’s mind never experienced fear or worries every time the emperor summoned him, for these feelings were unknown to him.

He secretly regarded Arkos as a man inclined to worry too much about his son, trust him too little, and endlessly blame him for every mistake and accident. Unfortunately, Vermon could not tell the emperor about that very unpleasant part of his personality, which drove Akinos to escape and conceal so many things from him.

Vermon never betrayed his close friend, spied on him, and never liked this kind of task. On the contrary, Vermon always briefed his friend on the emperor’s orders and the details of his mission, and the two always formulated a scenario that could keep Akinos’ privacy and put the emperor at ease without fear of being exposed.

***

End of Chapter (30)

[1] Orize. [Pronunciation Guide: Oh-rize]

0