Chapter 16: Break
15 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"Wow, I feel so fresh. I didn't notice before, but I feel really tingly all over. This aura's incredible," Cindy said as she awoke from her slumber.

After the prior night's events, Cindy slowly noticed her aura awakening even more. She felt a prickly sensation throughout her body and noticed a faint, translucent glow around her as well. She felt refreshed again after another demanding training session with Theodore. She and Kai had earned themselves a few days off after awakening their auras so quickly. Cindy also needed some time to repair her arm after her risky attempt to get the volleyball from Theodore. With the bright sunlight hitting her face from the window, the half-elf slowly crawled out of bed, stretching her arms and letting out a long yawn.

"Welp, I should go see Elie today!"

"Good morning, Miss Cindy! How was your sleep? Your breakfast and coffee are in the kitchen as instructed!" Jon said, opening Cindy's door.

"Wow, good job, kid. You're going places, you know that?" Cindy said, patting the child's head.

"Turn on the news for me, please." she said, kicking her feet up on the table.

"Yes ma'am!"

"They still haven't found that missing old lady, huh? Such a shame," Cindy said, taking a sip of her coffee, gripping the handle tightly. "Listen kid, I appreciate the breakfast, cleaning, laundry, and all the other chores I force you to do, but I think it's time you enrolled in school or something. I didn't get to have a proper education when I was growing up, so I don't want you to have to suffer through that!"

"Eh, I hated school anyway. Besides, I already know what I want to do with my life, Miss Cindy!"

"Don't say it..."

"I wanna be-"

"Please don't say it!"

"I-I wanna become an assassin, like you!" Jon shouted.

"Ok, I gotta go get this busted up arm of mine fixed. Uh, look after the place while I'm out!" Cindy said, tactfully exiting the conversation.

"Huh, what's her problem?" Jon said.

 

※ ※ ※ ※ ※ ※ ※ ※ ※ ※ ※

 

After having breakfast with Jon, Cindy arrived at 'Prosthetics Plus,' to have her arm repaired by Elie. Having not seen each other in quite some time, the two were overjoyed to finally meet again.

"Cindy, omigosh it's been forever! You're actually looking great compared to usual...besides your arm, that's fucked up pretty bad. But, your skin looks so radiant and stuff. Have you been eating kale like I told you? That's gotta be it!" Elie said, rambling to Cindy.

"Uh, thanks, I guess. No, haven't been eating kale. Just.... exercise! Plenty of exercise, that's right. Haha."

"Well, whatever you're doing, it's working! Come on in, and I'll have that arm fixed up in no time!" Elie said, embracing Cindy in a hug.

"Thanks, Elie. You're the best," Cindy said.

As Elie worked on Cindy's arm, the two continued to talk and catch each other up on what was happening in their lives.

"Damn, you messed this up pretty bad. What were you doing? And why is your skin so smooth now?" Elie said, poking Cindy's face.

"Jeez, cut it out! I just slipped while on a run... yeah."

"There's a bullet hole clearly on your arm, Cindy! Were you on a dangerous mission? Were you hurt? Did you...have to kill someone?" Elie whispered.

"Elie...can we please not talk about my work? Please, just fix my arm up and let's talk about something else."

"Sorry...," Elie said, pouting her face. "Sooo, got a boyfriend yet?"

"Elie! No, I haven't," Cindy said, hanging her head down.

"Ah, I got it! You should come to church with me. There are plenty of cute guys there, and it's like super diverse and stuff, so you'll fit right in!"

"Eh, church? I'm not really the religious type. My mother always forced me to go though. I hated it!"

"Well, you're older now, so why not give it a try? Come on, Cindy, it'll be fun! Even if you're not religious, the community is still wonderful and Pastor Price does a hell of a Sermon. The Sunday dinners are amazing too...did I mention the cute guys?"

"Yeah, you did. Look, I'll consider it after my training's done. Is that alright? Are the Sunday dinners free, by the way?"

"Yes they are!" Elie said, giving Cindy a thumbs up.

"Ok, you got me there. Nothing beats a free meal!" Cindy said, smiling.

 

※ ※ ※ ※ ※ ※ ※ ※ ※ ※ ※

 

"So anyway, baby, I told that old man the next time I see him, I'm kicking his ass. Then he ran off crying! Hahaha!" Kai said, sipping on a drink.

"Wow, that's amazing! Your job sounds so exciting, Kai! Tell me more, tell me more!" the woman sitting across from him said.

"I-is he on a date?" Cindy said, looking through the window.

"You know that guy? He's pretty cute! Why didn't you shoot your shot with him? You really fucked up, Cindy." Elie said.

"Shut up! He's my coworker, first of all. He's also an idiot... we're just friends... gross," Cindy said as the two walked into 'The Bone Shop.'

After finishing up repairs on her arm, Cindy and Elie went to their favorite hang out spot for coffee and board games. Cindy noticed Kai was there as well. In a fresh new outfit, the young man was currently trying to impress his date.

"Yeah, so then I just took out my pistol and starting blasting the idiot! I let him off with a few warning shots, hahaha!" Kai said.

"Look at that idiot over there. Talking about his job and lying about it too! How unprofessional. Oh, I'll take the caramel macchiato," Cindy said while ordering a drink.

"You wanna go bug him? We should go bug him!" Elie suggested.

"Hm, should we? That'll ruin his date, right? Let's do it!" Cindy said with a sinister grin.

"Hey Kai! Mind if we join you guys? This is my friend, Elie," Cindy said, approaching the couple.

"Hey there!" Elie said, gleefully.

"Ugh. Cindy, what are you doing here? Didn't you need your arm fixed or something?" Kai groaned.

"Well, Elie here fixed me up pretty fast. And what do you mean, 'what am I doing here?' I'm the one who told you about this damn place!" Cindy yelled.

"Teehee, your friends are funny," Kai's date commented.

"No, they're annoying! Can you and your friend just buzz off, Cindy? You're kinda cramping my style here!"

"Oh, they're fine! Come on, sit down!" the woman said.

"Aw, thanks. She's so sweet, Kai...unlike you!" Cindy said, mean-mugging Kai, as she and Elie sat beside the couple.

"Oh, come on, baby! I thought we were having fun with just the two of us!" Kai pleaded.

"Well, now we can have even more fun with four of us, right? Heehee," his date said.

"Hmph, thanks for cock-blocking me, Cindy!"

"Um, excuse me!!" the woman screamed.

"Fuc-"

2