Interlude III: Invitation to the Dinner Party
8 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"Phew, I'm beat. Tonight's been a blast!" Father said, returning to the lounge with Ben.

"Yeah, totally," Ben said, sitting down on the couch and lighting up a cigar. "Cindy wasn't lying, either. She really kicked our asses in that game... there's no way someone can be that good while that drunk!" he continued, his voice muffled slightly by the cigar hanging from his mouth.

"You're telling me, son. I couldn't even win a damn game against that monster! She'll make a fine assassin indeed, Gagaga!" Father said, opening up another bottle of whiskey.

"Pour me up, pops!" Ben yelled, holding up his glass. "So, what are you two girls still doing up?" he asked his two sisters.

"Oh, you know, just boring girl talk," Amy replied. "What happened to the newbies?" she asked.

"Oh, they passed out eventually, so we carried them back to their rooms," Ben said, puffing on his cigar. "You guys wanna watch a movie?"

"Yeah, maybe in a bit... Aria, do you have something you want to ask daddy?" Amy said.

"Hm? What's up, baby girl?" Father asked.

"Um, well... this is stupid," Aria said, her face red, hanging her head down low. "I... I was wondering if you could accompany me to my therapy session tomorrow, father. I've looked into a new doctor, and I want to try a different medication," she continued, anxious and fidgeting in her seat.

"Of course, baby. Is that all?" Father asked, laughing and downing his tenth full bottle of liquor. "Don't you worry, Aria. Your old man will hold your hand the entire time we're there!"

"T-thank you," Aria replied, her face bright red.

"See, that wasn't so hard, was it?" Amy said.

"S-shut up, you little twat!" Aria screamed, putting her sister in a headlock.

"Now, this is what I'm talking about!" Father yelled. "Just like old times. Right, kids?"

"Whatever," Aria muttered. "Did you have a movie in mind, dear brother?"

"Hmm, not really. I think I'm feeling a horror flick, though. Let's pop on BestFlix and see what they got," Ben said, grabbing a remote.

"Um, excuse me, sir," Shirley said, entering the lounge.

"Yo Shirley! I thought you went to sleep. We were just about to put on a movie. Wanna join?" Father asked.

"No, sir, that's not why I came back. You've... received an urgent letter from the Warden," Shirley said, handing the ogre an envelope.

"A letter? Why the hell didn't she just text me? That woman, always so formal and shit."

"Oh great, I wonder what it could be," Aria groaned sarcastically.

"Well, let's see," Father said, opening the letter and reading it aloud. The letter read:

'Dear Father, I hope this letter finds you in good health. I was extremely saddened that you did not immediately inform me of your return to Baldimore. Do you no longer harbor any feelings for your former spouse? I still love you very much, mind you. Won't you please reconsider marrying me again? Oloth and Zenith miss you so much as well. You never even come to see them anymore! I'm getting off-topic, apologies.

I would like to formally invite (force) you, the three directors, and all active assassins to attend the grand opening of my new restaurant, which will be named Elanor's, after yours truly! It will be held on the First of October, eight o'clock, in the evening. I have already received over one thousand reservations, can you believe it?! The people of this city adore me so much! Apologies for getting off-topic again.

Please be sure all hands are available for this. You will have a very special seat in the house. I believe a formal recognition is long overdue for the heroes of Baldimore CIty. You will be honored and praised for your efforts to reform this city. Your work truly does not go unnoticed. Please make sure your newest assassins are properly dressed for the occasion. I am very much looking forward to seeing you all again!

Yours Truly, Elanor Frost, Warden of the State.... I love you!'

"Welp, that's a thing now," Father commented, heavily chugging more whiskey.

"This is so stupid. Do we really have to attend?" Aria said.

"Looks like it, baby girl. We can't risk her holding out on the funds she provides this place, after all," Father said. "Oh brother, this woman really knows how to hold you by the balls!"

"I think I'm gonna need a whole bottle of whiskey myself now," Amy said.

"Ditto," Ben replied.

"Good thinking, sweetheart. Shirley, bring four bottles of the good stuff; one for each of us."

1