5. Snakes i guess
6 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

'Beds are so nice. So warm, so soft, nothing like dirt or a tree. 30 minutes wouldn't hurt anyone.'

 'I agree they are nice and warm. But you need to talk to people today.'

 'What the fuck! A voice is in my head! My eyes shot open trying to find anything that was different from when I started sleeping. But the only difference was the clothes hanging from the closet.

 A small light brown snake with a slightly upturned nose popped its head from the blanket and stuck out its tongue 'Rise and shine Sammy.' 

 I grab the snake, unsure if it's mine or from someone else. I know Medusa had snakes but don't remember them being so sentient.

 My hand touches it, the snake turns to inky black smoke and phases though unharmed. 'Whoa now, ain't it too early in the morning to be pulling your snake?'

 Irritation shown on my face "What do you want?" Speaking slowly I gather magic in my hand.

 It flicks its tongue 'Are you really going to try and kill me? That would be very disappointing.

 But whatever, I'm here to help you learn your magics. You wished for a set to be almost instincts, but have only one spell after three days.'

 'Nothing in this world should know about the wishes, so it's definitely mine.' the magic under my hand disperses "So do I just shit you out when I'm asleep?"

 'Ew no, did your mom poop you out? I was made by Orange's magic, technically you should be worshiping me. You will be able to make snakes yourself one day, after all that's what I'm here for, getting you to know and use Medusa's magic.' 

 It poked its tongue out sniffing the air again. 'But we should stop this dialogue here, give me your hand, the butler is at the door. Oh and you don't need to speak out loud.'

 Turning into black smoke it traveled up my arm settling as a small hognose snake tattoo on the back of my shoulder.

 "Mr. Remmus breakfast will be ready in five minutes, please be prepared."

 Dressed in a tan long sleeve and the pants i had, now washed I followed the man to a dining area. I assumed it wasn't the main one because it had multiple tables and some chairs were slightly cracked, though still fancy. Letoy and Alex were already eating, there were giant lizards, eggs, and grits.

 Getting a plate, Letoy started. "You have three job choices: go to another village, be a farmer there, be a butler here, I'm sure Lynn wouldn't mind since you helped us, or join the cord and hunt beasts and people in the country… risking life and limb.

 Actually four, if you have any other skills we can recommend you to a shop to hire you. So what can you and want to do?"

 I sat there in pretend contemplation as I already made my mind. The group already told me a bit about the cord and how it's like a standard fantasy guild so my mind was made up on that. But the way he said it, it sounds like he has some resentment towards it, or at least he didn't want it to be too appealing.

 "If I join the Cord can I stop necromancers from randomly destroying homes?"

 "Yeah… but you won't be doing that right away, you don't have the magic strength for it. You would be doing guard duty till they think you have sufficient mana."

 I take a bite of lizard, wincing, overcooked. "I see, that's really all I need, time. And what about schools for magic."

 'Hey hey hey, you don't need a damned mages college you have me! I'll even teach you an easy spell right now, just drop some eg in your lap.!'

 Letoy laughed "What are you 19, 20? You're old enough to be a last year and you wouldn't measure up to a 3rd year. Why didn't you go when they came to your village to recruit, if you wanted to go?"

 "I didn't think I'd need magic, just wanted to farm my little plot and hunt." I recited the backstory I made on the road.

 'Snakes can't eat scrambled eggs.' I think, putting some lizard on my lap.

 'Im magic! I can eat whatever the hell I want! Even poison!' the snake grumbles still eating the food.

 'But, this will do… the spell is soul protect, it's almost like chakra suppression but more like containment. You don't mind if I steal your magic to show you do you, great!'

 "Wait what?" I get out choking on some food.

 "I said the Cord would train you if you showed good pote- what happened to your magic?"

 "I would tell you but I have no clue." 

 'Snake, fix this now!'

 They both looked at me incredulously and I looked back cursing internally as the snake failed to respond.

 Eventually we went back to eating Alex saying he will take me to the Cord when we're done. But more concerningly the snake still remains silent.

… Two hours later … 

 The walk to the Cord building was interesting. The streets were filled with odd races, Orcs, a thing with scales and horns, many blue things with tails horns and sometimes hooves, though humans seem to be the majority. 

 Eventually Alex and I got to the Cord building. It was a large place about four acres mainly colored blue and white, standing out from the others beside it. The inside was filled with strange people, a few orcs, more blue people, a guy with an afro and large nose hairs. There was a weird baby sized thing with thick gray fur completely covering it sitting at the front desk with pure grey eyes.

 Most of the people were relaxing in the small seating area or going through the back. Two people waited for the creature at the desk before us. In a deep doubling voice I didn't expect from a thing of its size "Ah Alex, why are you here and without Lynn?"

 "We want an exam for this boy so he can join. (Also surveillance we don't know his full alignment.)" 

 "I see, actually I don't, what boy though no one is with you." 

 "I'm right here." I waved "Can you not see me?"

 "Oh, he has no magic… Why, how the hell does he have no mana? Why do you want to test someone without mana?" Bafflement clear on its fur.

 "He has it, just do all the tests." Alex yawned annoyed.

 "A- alright, Remmus, just follow this clone. Make sure not to get split. It can't see you so if you do you're on your own." The furry thing got off it's chair split like a cell and then sat back down.

0