Chapter 1 Before the raid
46 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"Raven, tell me what you're going to do with your share."

"Leave the boy alone, Grumpit; it's clear all he wants is quiet before the raid."

"You shut up, old man! I'm the leader of the snatch and grab team, and it's my job to make sure everyone is on board." The elderly man raised his hand and scratched his scruffy white beard.

"You know how dangerous this is going to be, Raven. We might not all come back."

"Aren't we all going to die?" asked a small man, his head flat on the table. He stood up, finished his drink, and sank back down.

"Alvin, shut up too! No one will die on my watch! Just wait! I'll shove my cleaver up these rich bastards and prick knights' asses!"

"I appreciate your enthusiasm, Grumpit, but I must request a lower tone of voice," a woman across the tavern said. Her clothes were long and dark, covering everything but her right hand. Her gray skin stood out against the crowned dancing skeleton.

"Yes, ma'am." Grumpit shivered and did as he was told.

It took some time before someone spoke up again. Raven slowly raised his head.

"I'm not sure; you know how my family is; I'm not going to give them a single gold coin."

"What about your kind sister, Raven?" asked the old man.

"Even if I bought her something lovely, her mother would confiscate it." Raven lowered his head once more.

"This damn family! Let me teach your father a few lessons!"

Grumpit raised his fist but stopped, looking back at the woman. Grumpit's raised arm was yanked down by the old man's hand.

"The boy has repeatedly told you that he does not want anything to happen to his father! It makes no difference if he hits him or his mother; he is still his own father."

"What a fucking great father!"

"So, Grumpit, would you beat him to death even if it was your own blood?"

"Of course! If my old man drove my sweet mama to such a state, I'd fuck that son of a bitch up!"

"You scumbag! To murder one's father! Even the gods will not forgive you!"

A pale hand was slowly raised, and the room fell silent like a graveyard.

"Raymond".

"My lady, please forgive me," Raymond said, shrinking in his seat.

"Haha! That serves you right, old man."

In a deep voice, Grumpit chuckled. He then returned his gaze to Raven.

"Boy, you gotta want something that requires some good old coins, right? Me? I want women, to hit the hottest spots in town, and to give something back to my people."

While speaking, Grumpit raised his chin.

"Don't fuck with us! As if you cared about whores and beggars!"

Alvin spoke as he shifted his head on the table.

"They struggle to make ends meet, just like us, so it's only fair that we give something back!"

"That will make you feel better, and they'll spend the money right away on drugs."

"Or get killed for the coin before they even have a chance to spend it," Raymond said, nodding toward Alvin.

"Do you really believe it's hopeless? I mean, are we and the others trapped down here?"

"Your people have it better than most Raven; you're from a merchant family, you have the ability to travel, and you have citizenship in the capital, which most of us can only dream of."

"They are not my people; I belong here, and I have nothing but contempt for their kind."

"However, without the top echelon to rule the city and the merchant guilds to handle most businesses, there would be less labor and..."

"The roads would be dangerous to travel on if the free company did not eliminate all threats in the wild, hired by the merchants. I understand how you feel, Raven; the majority of us had a falling out with the free company. However, if the nobility depended solely on their own forces, other nations would loot the empire for its resources. As a result, they have no choice but to support them." The woman eventually came over to their table. The stench of rotten meat was thickening the air, and they could see their rapid breathing condensing.

"Y-Yes Lady Kamira Nightfall is absolutely correct."

Raymond turned ghostly pale and quickly bowed his head.

"Every child, noble or poor, is born the same; some may have a head start, but aren't we proof that anyone can make it? Aren't we the living embodiment of the spirit of ambition rising above all? Do not let your hatred cloud your judgment. Who has the most knowledge of their prey? Other prey or the one attempting to hunt it? We've been planning for this day for many moons, but don't let your guard down. Today, we will almost certainly face multiple knights of House Valette."

"To think we'd try to rob the red star."

"I understand your concern, Raymond, and while my magical abilities will certainly guide us to victory, I have no doubt there will be sacrifices along the way." The room became silent once more.

 

Muffled voices could be heard coming from the underground tavern's secret entrance. The door then flew open. A man stormed in, clutching a piece of paper.

"Miss Nightfall! Here is the Scouts' report!" the thief said, kneeling to present his letter. While reading, she raised an eyebrow.

"Are you certain the numbers are correct? "

"They swore on their graves that they only saw twelve soldiers," the man gulped, turning around to see horrified faces staring back at him.

"No knights? That's insane!"

"Is our intel wrong?"

"This has to be a trap!"

"Silence!" Kamira Nightfall said as she looked each member of her crew in the eyes. The skeleton on the back of her hand was then displayed. "Do you recall what this means?" everyone nodded. "If the scouts say there aren't any knights, there won't be any."

"Even so, what about..."

"This doesn't mean we aren't prepared," Kamira interjected. "Our plan has always assumed the presence of knights; the fact that there may not be even one changes nothing. Grumbit, remind them."

"Yes, ma'am," he said nervously, giving a clumsy bow. "We perform a classic smash and grab, you maggots! Your job is to divert their attention away from us four. I, the old man, Alvin, and Raven are the ones grabbing! Got it?"

"Very well, Grumbit. Remember, we can only guarantee 30 breaths at most. They will summon reinforcements using magic tools, and if the city gates close before we return... "

"Won't they be able to simply follow us?" One of the thieves who had remained silent until now spoke up.

"Exactly. I want them to follow us; I have preparations to ensure our survival in the outfall as long as we live and reach the city."

"Stop being so downcast, guys! Get up and raise your glasses! This could be the last drink all of us share as mere thugs and thieves! Next time, we'll be drinking from silver and glass!"

Raven raised his cup and smiled at Raymond, who was resting his hand on his shoulder.

"Cheer up, boy, your milk is about to turn sour." Raven exhaled a deep breath.

"You know, sometimes I think you guys aren't so bad."

0