Chapter 04: A group of goblins and bag of valis
1.2k 3 40
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Finally, after killing some goblins, I reached floor 2.

The last goblins gave me neither the <Excelia> nor the soul spheres.

My soul was already used to the power contained in the absorbed souls. Maybe it keeps increasing, but it was so scarce that even adding it didn't increase by a single point.

Basically, I needed to kill stronger monsters.

Ahh, it didn't all go down the drain. A seemingly ordinary pendant with a bone attachment hung around my neck. However, it was invisible to the eye due to system intervention.

—Quite mysterious.

<<Item>>

Bone pendant

<<Grade>>

No grade

<<Attributes>>

Strength: 7 | Endurance: 5 | Dexterity: 7 | Agility: 9 | Magic: 10

<<Abilities>>

[No abilities]

<<Description>>

An accessory-type item grants some attributes to the one who possesses it.

<<Unequip>>

...

That was the Status of the pendant.

Although the object's attributes seemed to be few, they could not be underestimated. If I were to open my < Status> right now, I would see that my basic statuses added to the attributes of the item I was equipped with.

Ironically, the magic attribute was so significant when I didn't even possess a magic spell. I let out a small chuckle and heard the sound of footsteps.

I was curious; I didn't know if they were humans or monsters. But I didn't want to make a fool of myself, so I rounded the corner and peeked out to look.

They were monsters. I think they were called kobolds. Those goblin-like monsters but with the difference that they were a pale reddish color. Also, I remember that the monster had the head of a dog.

The monster noticed me and headed toward me while swinging its wooden mallet. I, too, faced it. I tried to test my strength, causing my dagger to clash with the kobold's weapon.

My hands went numb with pain. However, the kobold suffered more as it staggered backward.

I stepped forward and plunged the dagger deep into the monster's head. After leaving a few spasms, the monster collapsed.

<<You have absorbed the <Excelia> of a kobold>>

<+2 Strength>

<+1 Stamina>

<+1 Agility>

Two points of strength!

Maybe the <Excelia> added up with the other monsters I killed so far? That was likely since, if I consider the kobold's strength, it was basically the same as the goblins.

Using the dagger, I dismembered the kobold's chest to take out the magic stones. It would be perfect if I mastered removing the magic stones without taking too long. I should learn more later.

—Kacha—-—Kacha—

The sounds of footsteps overlapped. I shifted my gaze incredulously to the side. I could see six humanoid-looking creatures running toward me. Why did six goblins suddenly appear!

While it wasn't to the point of being considered a <Monster Wave>—a strange occurrence when many monsters group together to confront adventurers— it was at least much more than usual.

—Ahh, me and my luck.

I walked quickly away from there, footsteps following me. I was not yet ready to face many monsters. I didn't possess good combat technique or experience. Getting in the middle of a group of monsters would be like digging my own grave.

I did the same strategy as before. I, who was holding my breath, heartbeat thundering in my chest, pressed myself against the wall. My slender fingers curled tightly around the hilt of the black dagger.

I, who was anxious, could feel a cold sweat slide down my cheeks. Hearing the footsteps getting closer and closer proved to be much more suffocating than I had imagined. Taking on a group of monsters was not easy. A simple slip on my part and I would die.

As it passed in front of me, I put my foot in front of the goblin's legs. I thrust my body forward and kicked it in the sinewy chest, sending it flying toward its companions. The others were obstructed, and two were knocked down. I took advantage of my movement and lunged forward.

—Ploc!—

The wet sound of flesh being penetrated entered my ears.

The chest was impaled, and the monster exploded in a cloud of dust.

—Shit! I wasted a <Magic Stone>.

<<You have absorbed the <Excelia> of a goblin>>

It was said that the existence of monsters was subject to magic stones. When one broke the magic stones, the monsters dissolved into dust.

The goblins were in disarray. I took advantage of that moment to kill the one closest to me. My dagger pierced its greenish-thin neck. After spittle splattered everywhere, the goblin died.

<<You have absorbed the <Excelia> of a goblin>>

From the left side, a stick swept the wind as it entered my vision.

I stepped aside.

—Bang!—

I stood exposed for my other foe, and a blow crashed into my side. A choked grunt escaped my lips. I desperately searched for air to refill my empty lungs.

—Damn it! This hurt like hell.

I kicked the ground and took a step back. They rushed at me. At least two of them were already dead, so my weight was reduced.

They cornered me from the front and sides. They were not as dumb as I imagined. One blow came from the right and another from the front. I reached out to block the one on the right. An excruciating pain shot through my arm to the top of my hair. I sucked in a breath of cold air and let the blow from in front pass over me, stabbing its head.

<<You have absorbed the <Excelia> of a goblin>>

Another one down. Only three left to kill.

I grabbed the stick of the goblin that attacked me with my hand and pulled it towards me. Its eyes reflected my dagger that pierced it.

"Phew, how disgusting".

<<You have absorbed the <Excelia> of a goblin>>

—Bang!—

I blocked the blow with my arm. That hurt but not enough to lose concentration. I slipped and killed the goblin by breaking the magic stone. I'm pretty inexperienced at delivering a critical hit to a moving monster.

<<You have absorbed the <Excelia> of a goblin>>

There was only one last monster left. The goblin's eyes reflected .... fear? That was a surprise considering its almost smiling facial expressions.

I ran toward the goblin, which took a few shaky steps backward. That confirmed that the monsters felt fear.

Was it because I got stronger? Did the goblin's movements become predictable, or was it just clumsy? The important thing was that I had managed to survive a group of monsters. It was my first time in the dungeon, so what I accomplished was something complicated to replicate.

<<You have absorbed the <Excelia> of a goblin>>

<+1 Endurance>

<+1 Dexterity>

...

The panels overlap.

That basically confirms my previous assumption. The <Excelia> of the weaker monsters I kill are added up and then, after reaching a fixed number of 1, are displayed in the panel.

"Let's see, <Status>."

<<Status>>

— Tooru

— Level: 1

<<Basic Abilities>>

Strength: 11 (+7) | Endurance: 10 (+5) | Dexterity: 9 (+7) | Agility: 6 (+9) | Magic: 0 (+10)

...

"Not bad."

One metallic-colored sphere radiated a light layer of luminosity in the dark hallway. Getting loot was the best time for me inside the dungeon.

"Oh yeah, come here, baby."

I, rubbing my hand, broke the sphere.

<<You have obtained a <Bag of Valis> by breaking the sphere>>

<<Item>>

Bag of Valis

<<Grade>>

No grade

<<Attributes>>

[No attributes]

<<Abilities>>

[No abilities]

<<Description>>

A bag is full of valis. Contains <850> valis coins.

...

I stared speechlessly at the small brown bag bulging in my hand. 

—A bag containing money!

So far, it was the most interesting thing I have found. Of course, 850 valis was little. But imagine what will happen when I descend further into the dungeon! I might become rich overnight.

I shook my head. I shouldn't be too greedy with money. When I get stronger, getting money will be a piece of cake.

"Let's see... I'll go down a few more floors and return to the surface. Kami-sama should be waiting for me."

40