Chapter 13: War Shadow
990 3 33
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

—Crack—

There was the rumbling sound of something breaking. I moved my head from side to side to find out where the sound was coming from.

I was in an ample space, where the inside of the dungeon was a light green color.

It was quiet, and no monsters or objects were inhabiting it, which made it more frightening.

I sighed with the dagger clutched in my hands, and sharpening my senses, I went deeper in search of the source of the sound.

The deeper I went, the sound of —Crack— echoed consecutively as if a woodcutter was pounding on a tree stalk.

"Is this the place?"

The wall in front of me shuddered as the sound grew louder. Seconds later, the green wall shattered.

A dark hand reached out, and its claws penetrated the wall as the crack in the wall grew more significant to reveal a dark head.

It was the birth of a monster.

Indeed, the saying —The dungeon is the mother of all monsters— was not so far from the truth. Like hatching chicks, the monsters fell heavily to the ground along with the debris of the wall.

In the blink of an eye, the monsters grew. The speed of growth was terrifying, for within seconds, the monster was already in fighting condition.

They were about 160 centimeters tall. A body structure similar to that of humans, with the difference that they were completely dark in color, as if they were the personification of a shadow. In addition, their head had a shape similar to that of a cross, and a crystal seemed to be embedded in their face.

These monsters were known as <War Shadows>; appeared on the sixth floor of the dungeon.

I audibly swallowed saliva; cold drops rolled down my face. The dripping could be heard amidst the silence, increasing the trembling of my heart. If possible, I wanted to go unnoticed among these monsters, though it was too late to tell.

As if by some magical effect, the restlessness in my heart and the fear gnawing at my mind dissolved.

"The effect of <Gaia's Blessing> is indeed magical. Even my busy mind became clear enough to concentrate."

I let out a sigh and positioned myself for battle even before my enemy moved. There were three <War Shadow>, so the battle will be complicated.

—Swosh!—

The three sharp claws that almost formed a knife cleaved the air, and my vision shuddered slightly. I let my body act at will, and the next moment a numbness transmitted from my palm.

Its claws were repelled to the side by my dagger, grazing my arm. My mind registered the pain as if it were the burn of steel pulled from the furnace.

"Ha!"

With a short cry, I kicked my enemy's stomach, which staggered backward.

Another sharp claw covered my vision, which I yanked away, barely saving myself. A sharp pain spread across my cheeks, and my senses picked up the hot liquid spilling down to my chin.

However, I didn't stop because of the momentary pain. I was well aware that if I stopped to think for even a second, my head would roll in the air.

I grabbed the <War Shadow>'s long but skinny arm and pulled it towards me, receiving my dagger. A black liquid dripped from the hollow of the starry head, where my dagger was embedded. The <War Shadow> convulsed a couple of times and collapsed, or at least that's how it would turn out if I hadn't used its body to defend myself from the third <War Shadow>.

<<You have absorbed the <Excelia> of a War Shadow>>

<+3 Dexterity>

<+2 Agility>

<+1 Strength>

At that moment, I spun like a top on my heels, and as if I had taken an impulse, my dagger penetrated the monster's neck.

The <War Shadow's> knees went slack, and with a —Thrust—, the monster fell, dead.

<<You have absorbed the <Excelia> of a War Shadow>>

<+1 Dexterity>

<+1 Agility>

I glimpsed the sphere coming out of the deceased monster's body, but I was in no position to divert my attention.

The last monster attacked once more with its deadly claws. Maybe because they had no vocal cords, but until that moment, the <War Shadows> did not produce any sound, as if they were experienced killers attached to their surroundings.

The speed at which the monster was approaching was alarming. Unable to do much, the claws clawed at my torso. My lips contracted into a grimace of pain, and I ordered my body to dodge to the left.

"Die, you bastard!"

A lightning-like bluish glow shone in an arc from my left hand as I pulled the curved dagger from its sheath.

—Piercing—

The <War Shadow> was not expecting such a move; I could feel its surprise when my dagger pierced its head.

<<You have absorbed the <Excelia> of a War Shadow>>

I looked around and could pick up two <Soul Spheres> near the lying bodies of the <War Shadows>

I walked a few steps, and my legs faltered, slowly falling to my knees.

—Uff—

I spat the breath from my lungs as I sucked in a big gulp of oxygen. Drops of cold sweat drenched my face and back as if I had gone through endless obstacles.

I was not conscious during the battle, but now I realized how arduous it was to face strong monsters simultaneously. The sensation of the wounds gradually began to hurt, to the point where they became bothersome again. The beads of sweat that were continuously being sucked from the wounds didn't help.

I shook my head several times and gritted my teeth to get up. Staggering, I grabbed the <Soul Sphere>, and with a —Crack—, it shattered.

<<You have obtained a <Shadow Spear> by breaking the sphere>>

<<Item>>

Shadow Spear

<<Grade>>

No grade

<<Attributes>>

Strength: 25   |   Dexterity: 35   |   Magic: 40

<<Abilities>>

[Illusory Spear]: a basic <Shadow Spear> ability, using your <Mind> or <Magic>, the ability unleashes three consecutive attacks that can leave the enemy in a stunned state, which depending on their physical and mental strength, said state effect could vary.

—After using the ability, enters a 30-second cooldown mode.

<<Description>>

A spear that was materialized by the soul of a <War Shadow>. While it may be weak against enemies using healing magic or beings possessing the same dark element, it is undoubtedly effective against enemies specializing in physical attributes.

<Equip>

In my patreon you can find up to 20 advanced chapters ≧◡≦

www.patreon.com/YoseiShiro

33