Chapter 22: Doubts
612 1 26
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The <Killer Ants>, besides having a rigid exoskeleton that not just anyone could penetrate and a high attack like that of the <War Shadows>, these monsters actually had another special ability.

They could use <pheromones>.

When the <Killer Ants> found themselves in desperate situations, they resorted to using these pheromones to attract mates.

No matter what, if one did not want them to use these pheromones, one had to defeat them with a quick attack. At best, one has to kill it with an attack and make it stop breathing.

But is that possible for novice adventurers? No!

Those ants that boasted of their hard red shells repelled any attack. Their slender but strong forearms were constantly attacking to drive them through the defenses and use those sharp claws to murder them.

Such was the adventurers' terror that it was well justified.

In a narrow, dimly lit tunnel, surrounded by dozens of ants. This undesirable scene would make novice adventurers shudder.

Lili was no exception. Her body trembled, and with every —Crack— that came from the walls, her little heart let out a loud beat.

She stepped back, and then her eyes landed on Tooru's back.

The spear in his hands withdrew, and the screeching ant collapsed to the ground. But it was too late.

Lili's eyes glittered imperceptibly, and, her expression hidden, her lips pursed into a subtle smile.

She turned around; however, as soon as her eyes met an ant inches from her face, she paled in fear and could not contain her scream.

Her legs faltered, and pushed by her heavy bag that seemed about to burst, she fell backward. The monster, growing at an alarming rate, lunged at her, its pincers ready to slit that fragile neck.

Lili closed her eyes tightly. She actually wanted to use Tooru as bait while she fled, but her plan failed miserably.

Perhaps karma was taking its toll on her for her actions? Was she really in the wrong all this time? As soon as those questions came to her mind, her past rekindled inside her.

No. She was only acting according to her needs; she wasn't wrong about anything.

They never had a consideration for her. The <Supporters> had constantly been degraded to objects of ridicule by those despicable adventurers.

Such was the world, a place where only the strongest could enjoy money, where only they could have pride and hope.

While they, the <Supporters>, were oppressed for the simple fact of being weak.

Lili felt no remorse for her past decisions and actions. She stole to survive; she stole because the stronger ones forced her to. She ran away because that was the specialty of the weak. She ran away because it was the only way to survive in desperate times.

In the end, even being so close to meeting death, she smiled.

Those adventurers had made her what she was today.

After all, that was what adventurers were.

—Plaf!—

A wet noise entered her ears as if something pointed and sharp were penetrating soft, crisp flesh.

... But she didn't feel the pain she expected. Did someone like her have the privilege of dying without pain?

Realizing she could still think, Lili, opened her eyes. A thick, hot liquid poured over her shocked face. Her trembling body stiffened, and her eyes fixed on the deep red body resting inches away from her.

"Liili. Stay behind me. I don't want you to reveal yourself to danger by picking up the magic stones."

Following the source of the voice, she met the young man's back again. The spear in his hand swung forward, interposing itself in front of the enemy claw that drew a white arc in the air.

—Clink!—

The claw was repelled to the side, and with speed more remarkable than that of the <Ant Killer>, Tooru's spear penetrated the monster's head.

Lili's eyes never left Tooru's back. A question inexplicably popped up in her cluttered mind. Was he different from the others?

Her mind relived yesterday's memories. That boy appeared out of nowhere when she was taking a beating. Just like the spear in her hands-despite receiving a mortal wound-he standing his ground to the end, never giving it up.

So, was he really different, or was he just pretending to be?

It's a difficult question to solve; however, not impossible. At least she was willing to observe him some more.

—Kichi—-—kichi—

The <Killer Ant> moved its mouth, emitting a high-pitched sound while grinding its teeth.

This was part of these monsters. It was calling out to its mates, constantly secreting hormones that human eyes could not see.

As I approached, the red claws created an arc as they moved toward me.

With a step to the left, a gust of air caressed my hair. I didn't even look at the enemy; my spear flickered in a black blur, and, though it was only at first, I felt the spear tip being obstructed by the hard shell protecting its head.

Then, like a hot knife through butter, the black tip of the spear protruded through the other side of his skull.

Purple liquid dripped from the hole, and as if remembering it was dead, the monster collapsed.

If one wanted to successfully defeat the <Killer Ant>, one had to aim for the gap between its hard shell and soft spots.

However, that method used by normal adventurers did not apply to me, who could easily break through that defense.

Absorbed in the battle, my vision caught a red oscillation coming from my side. With breakneck speed, I turned to the right side, encountering a newly hatched ant.

Aiming for the <Killer Ant's> head, the black spear showed no mercy as it sliced through it like butter.

<<You have absorbed the <Excelia> of a Killer Ant>>

<+1 Strength>

<+1 Dexterity>

<+1 Agility>

The blue panel made my eyes happy. Though by a small margin, I could feel my overall power increase by a fold.

Without overthinking about it, I let out a puff of hot air from my lungs, extending my arm forward and ending another life.

On my patreon you can read 20 advance chapters ≧◡≦

www.patreon.com/YoseiShiro

26