Chapter 12 – One’s Own Volition
4 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 12 - One's Own Volition

Within the Thesmophoros Duchy lies a grand garden where almost all of the nobles and commoners alike are attending freely. And amongst the crowd, they had gathered in one spot to bear witness to the final chess match of this tea party's event.

A commoner, Caissa Thea Skaki, is up against Kore Thesmophoros, the rumored maiden in noble society!

At that very moment, the tension within the atmosphere became rather palpable when the two of them sat across each other, face-to-face. Whereas their perspectives completely locked onto one another, they were perceptively analyzing their opponent's movements and ploys this entire time!

In the eyes of everyone, the chessboard that was set in-between Kore and Caissa, turned out to be a grueling battlefield where each and every one of those pieces represented a soldier in a game of strategy and mind.

A final match is supposed to be a game of great significance, yet how is it that the momentous ambience and circumstance suddenly fall apart at the seams behind Kore's words?

"I ponder if you're aware that Somnus Lethe is the Underworld's First Harbinger." 

"What are your thoughts on this?" Kore speaks before placing her next move.

Once those two consequential sentences embark on a different course in Caissa's calculation, weighing her down mentally, the calm and collected mindset soon made its way to the surface for the young girl to regain her nature.

‘To think I would hear the Underworld coming out of Lady Kore's mouth. Truly, the rumors have spread far and wide.’ Caissa muses, ending her turn after deciding on her move.

For anyone's information, the entirety of the Olympus Empire has come across and is familiar with the implication behind those infamous words, ‘Underworld’ and ‘Harbinger’. It's by far the most mentioned and talked about in current society; be it nobility or peasantry.

At this point in time, it would come as a surprise to anyone if they were to encounter someone who's unaware of this important information.

As a matter of a fact, the Underworld is a word that holds a repetitive place in the ceaseless rumors and news articles being published for everyone to lay eyes on and blabber on about. Despite having no clear evidence of when and how many times they had seen and heard of it, it's sufficient to be deeply rooted in the Olympians’ memories.

Causes and reasons as to why the Underworld is well-heard of can vary because of its shrouded mysteries. Owing to the fact that its first appearance is obscured and poses a conundrum for the rest of the nobility and royalty because of the sheer lack of witnesses to the Underworld's origin. 

As such, none of the Olympians had determined and pinpointed where and when the Underworld came into existence. 

In addition to that, there hasn't been decisive evidence behind this organization's transgressions as well as the indeterminacy of the members who are working against the laws to seek a pre-eminent position, desiring a dominant influence upon the Olympus Empire!

Apart from that, the Underworld seems to have never leaked any of their own information and secrets for the world to see, even going so far as to conceal their whereabouts and hideouts!

The most shocking thing about it is that the royalties aren't able to penetrate through the Underworld's security nor were they capable of uncovering a trace of this notorious organization!

If not for the Monarch of the Underworld, who had made their first unannounced and unprecedented appearance in the Imperial Palace's throne room to declare a peace treaty right in front of the Emperor of Olympus, Zeus, none would have come to know that the Underworld has the potentiality to approach the royalties unaccounted for!

‘Besides, if Somnus Lethe is truly the first Harbinger..’ Caissa wonders.

‘It doesn't matter to me, but for the rest, it'll pose a problem.’

Not to mention the Harbingers, who are the backbone and major key figures in the Underworld, they're not to be underestimated! Regarding the mere reference to them, those titles can direct anyone to a path of perdition as a result of how heinous and despicable the person holding those epithets is!

The Underworld's Harbingers are individuals who wield powers, influence and wealth that one cannot hope to imagine. Unable to fathom it, people have begun to barely understand the underlying truths behind the curtains known as rankings of these Harbingers. 

One might assume the ranks are an indication of strength, while some may think otherwise, going as far as to consider it to be a position that is achieved through a power struggle in the Underworld's politics. And by learning that the First Harbinger is Somnus Lethe can lend unsettling goosebumps to everyone!

It's no wonder Caissa is in a daze! For the General of the Imperial Knights to unveil as one of the Underworld's Harbingers isn't as far-fetched as it sounds! Considering how dominant and authoritative this single organization can be, it could definitely be possible!

However, for what motives is Kore trying to acquire here? How truthful can her words be for everyone, especially Caissa, to believe quite the bombshell of information? It must be an obvious ploy to fool and confuse Caissa during this chess match, hoping to see an expressive reaction from this teenager!

‘Calm down. This isn't the time for such informative discernment. I must focus on the present before I handle those intrusive thoughts and questions.’ Caissa exhales a deep breath after spending a few seconds thinking during Kore's turn.

Earlier, Caissa's mind was racing to and fro while she was attempting to process Kore's statement to the best of her ability. And likewise, it didn't require that much time for her rationality and tactical nature to kick into gear, returning herself to a more composed state.

"I beg your pardon, Lady Kore. Could you elaborate on what you said?" Caissa resumes the previous conversation with an unfaltering tone after it had been a while.

"It is as I said. The General of the Olympus Imperial Knights is the Underworld's First Harbinger. I assumed you could comprehend what I meant earlier, but it seemed I was proven wrong." Kore responds in a nonchalant manner, resting her chin on her hand as she awaits Caissa's reply.

"Even so, I'm not sure I understand the context of your words and how it pertains to our current game of chess." 

When a firm response resounds from Caissa, lending Kore an unfazed reaction, the young commoner carries on to have her gaze fixated on the chessboard, seemingly examining a spot to put her plan into play.

In the maiden's viewpoint, she sees a young girl who is working her strategic mind into overdrive amidst the complexity of the match.

‘Though there's one thing that is proven right.’ Kore smiles inwardly.

—Thud!

In the blink of an eye, when the moment finally came at long last, Caissa landed Kore on a check with one of her moves! How will Kore react to such a proactive play?! On top of that, this has turned out to be a phenomenal occasion for everyone to bear witness to an opponent who can stand on an equal footing with Kore!

"Oh my word! This is without a doubt one of the most outstanding chess I have ever laid eyes on!" A fair noblewoman let out a gasp in astonishment.

"Although I was betting on Caissa losing, I never thought I would get slapped in the face with this sight! This is an insanely stellar performance!" A middle-aged merchant spoke up in awe.

—Chitter-Chatter!

"Good grief.. Is Lady Kore purposely failing to play because she wishes not to humiliate that commoner?" A nobleman scoffs in disbelief, roughly crossing his arms.

"I have to agree with you. It usually takes commoners a few seconds to lose, but this is unexpected of Lady Kore." 

—Chattering…

"I should have known that Lady Kore would behave this way when she suddenly wished for commoners to come." A vicenarian nobleman ridicules the hostess.

"Pfft." 

"Who's there?!" 

"My apologies. You caught me off guard with your silly assumptions that I couldn't hold back."

Without any delay, there's someone who has unexpectedly voiced her rebuttal to this peculiar nobleman. Moreover, it's none other than Hermes, the arbiter.

"Lady Hermes, what do you find funny about my statement? I assure you that I meant what I said." An unyielding voice utters out from this man despite realizing who he's up against.

"How should I refer to you? Must it be Sir or Lord? Aside from that, it has been a while since I have last seen you in high society when you were deployed to the battlefield. I hope you excuse my rudeness, it honestly seems to me that you weren't fully engrossed in the deliberate stratagem from both Caissa Thea Skaki and Lady Kore." Hermes gives her reply while crossing her arms.

"I have been on the battlefield for a very long time, however, it doesn't reduce my knowledge when it comes to chess!"

"Oh my? I beg your pardon? I wouldn't dare to judge you because of your time spent outside of noble society. To be fair with you, I strongly admire your will in helping to defend our Empire."

"If that's the case, what does your previous comment imply?"

"It solely occurs to me that Lady Kore hasn't played a game of chess with you after you had honestly stated how knowledgeable you are at chess."

"Lady Hermes, putting wisdom into action is weary. Even the smartest have to replenish themselves after a long journey, especially a laborious duration on the battle frontier."

"That being the case, it would explain how inadequate your matches have become in the time I have overseen your games. My apologies for not understanding your circumstances and how it has affected you mentally and physically."

"..?! Excuse me?" Once a knight, this nobleman felt flabbergasted by Hermes' words!

—Swoosh!

"Were you not paying close attention to everything that Lady Hermes had said, Lord Anthony?" Someone intrudes on the conversation before it's revealed to be Claudia who's passing by.

"Lady Constance! And Lord Wilhelm?"

"Hello, Lord Anthony. How are you faring lately? I haven't seen you for ages!" With a friendly greeting, Wilhelm speaks to Anthony as if they're well acquainted with each other.

"Quiet down, Wilhelm. Although I understand how eager you are to have your reunion, please save it for another time." Claudia scolds Wilhelm, who can be seen slightly sulking in the corner.

"That aside, it's a pleasure to meet you again, Lord Wilhelm and Lady Constance. Is it okay for me to ask what you have been doing since the last time we hung out?" In hopes of changing the topic, Anthony discreetly gave it a try.

Without a doubt, it's never easy to leave behind one's previous subject, especially for someone who has been in the field of bloodshed for a lengthy period where the trends and changes of society cannot be seen or heard. 

And in no time, someone had already taken notice of this change of direction in the conversation!

"Lord Anthony, I hope you'll soon come to grasp the sagacious meaning behind every tactic in Kore's current matchup. As a former knight, if you learn to place yourself in those types of situations formed by the harmless game of chess, you'll find yourself discerning what's inside a strategist's mind on the battlefield."

"There are moments where you must make an appropriate decision for your pieces and yourself. Since each plays a major role, the outcome can often be shocking to some and revealing to another."

Needless to say, it was Hermes who took it upon herself to make two comments on Anthony. Before long, the man appeared to be expressing his bafflement when he couldn't perceive what Hermes was getting at.

To be exact, Anthony sorta had an inkling as to what her words truly meant, but chose to be clueless about it to not create a scene.

‘This is rather disappointing. I am under the orders of the Emperor, yet there are only a few who can satisfy his conditions.’ Hermes ponders, letting her arms loose while seeing Claudia and Wilhelm conversing with Anthony.

‘If only Lady Kore wasn't with Duchess Demeter, then the Underworld wouldn't have a chance. I'll have to make do with what the situation presents.’ Hermes narrows her eyes in mild frustration.

‘I most definitely won't allow the Underworld to persist with their nonsense. I'm sure Lady Kore will win in her match, but it looks like I'll have to take Caissa no matter the consequences!’ Hermes sets her eyes on the garden nook.

—Bustling!!!

"My word! Take a look at that!" Someone from afar speaks up unexpectedly.

Unbeknownst to Hermes, alongside the people around her, the sudden bewilderment in everyone's voices and gasps reverberated clamorously!

"Did you see that?!" Another person cries out at the unbelievable scene.

In the distance where all of the guests' attention is mostly enthralled, it's shown that astonishment as a reaction is only natural!

After all, the commoner, Caissa, who has single-handedly pinned the noblewoman, Kore, on a check earlier, has chosen to place her chess piece elsewhere, resulting in a stalemate instead of a clear path to victory!

When Kore was on a stage where she had to catch Caissa off her trail, the teenager deliberately made the decision to move her king in front of her rook, prompting the maiden to be at a loss for words by the unanticipated!

In spite of the route to victory being an easy feat, Caissa decided on a draw for reasons unknown to the perspectives of others! Could it perhaps be that this commoner forgot all about the reward of winning against the hostess? 

No, that's not it!

At that very moment, Kore shifts her subtle yet startled glance towards Caissa. The maiden immediately finds a smile engraved on the teenager's face.

"I believe that in life, as in chess, a true victory comes from finding common ground in working together, not from defeating each other."

‘Hm..?’ Kore forms a mischievous grin.

‘Should I add a favorable term for her? It looks like I'll have to make a good impression and a reasonable use of her later on.’ Kore thought with something in mind.

"How amusing." Kore replies.

Seeing as Caissa has just spoken with a clear-cut voice, it seems to Kore that this is actually what the former had intended to do from the very beginning!

There's nothing to say in front of someone who's competent enough to bring forth a stalemate on her opponent as she pleases. 

To show her respect and acceptance of this match's result, Kore stands up before stretching her hand out towards her opponent, Caissa. In fact, it was Kore's wishful thinking to form a friendly relationship with Caissa through this humble gesture.. 

Or not..

More than that, there's an underlying ulterior motive behind this simple handshake. As a matter of fact, Caissa isn't allowed to refuse Kore's handshake because nobles and commoners are watching them from afar. 

If a commoner were to reject a noble's kind gesture, it would deal a heavy blow to the commoner's livelihood as well as put a noble's pride and reputation to a decline.

All in all, Caissa has no choice but to accept Kore's handshake. Is this perhaps Kore's way of repaying the unwarranted stalemate Caissa had given to the former?

None of that matters anymore, since everyone can see that Caissa and Kore are shaking one another's hands! When this match was nothing short of everyone's bet on Kore's win, it came as a shock and beyond their comprehension of the situation!

"Caissa actually got a draw?! Why did she suddenly want a stalemate when she could choose to win?!" A commoner man bawls.

"Purely unprecedented! Lady Kore is undoubtedly smart, but to think a commoner can outsmart a maiden like her!" The noble lady, who was filled with bafflement, gasped outwardly.

—Murmuring..!

"What is this?! If she's the only one with a stalemate.. Does that mean her chances of getting an audience are higher!?" A humble merchant agaped.

"The sun hasn't set yet. If I hurry to the garden nook before someone gets the final minutes, then I might have a chance!"

With Caissa's and Kore's match ending this quickly, it's no wonder everyone is desperately trying to fill in those last few minutes with their presence.

The fact that the game ended in a stalemate gives people the hope for a chance to succeed!

"Oh ho." 

‘Your Majesty, I have found the one who will oblige you.’ Hermes paints an amusing yet forbidding smile on her face whereas her violet irises signify a stroke of ill luck to her target.

‘How much does it cost for four to five snatchers? I shall seize that commoner for the Emperor before the Underworld does!’

1