Prologue
6 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Slowly, I blink the fatigue away from my eyes. I realize I feel no pain, and no happiness either, I trace the burn marks that used to brand my face. But deep in my soul I felt relieved. I wipe what apparently were tears from my face, I adjust to the plane I was in. I felt no mana in the surrounding area, just an empty abyss of nothingness. I stand up from the shaggy green rug I was laying on. I begin looking around, I glance at the many different decorative pieces along the dark ebony walls. Some were artifacts of unimaginable rarity, and others seemed to be taxidermy of beings that lived in the past. Walking around, I noticed a man, dressed as a sort of noble, with a blackened hat and sharp gray fine clothes. He was leant against the dark brown wall. “Your soul lacks strength, but I can see the premonitions of something greater…” The mysterious man says. I ignore his remark, and keep traversing around the cushy and enigmatic lounge. I start inspecting the things on display,  a rock carved into an avian statue of some sorts and a painting of what seems to be a shore on a cloudy day. Peeking to the nearest shelf, decked in gray tones and candles, I take notice of a small rock within a jar, glowing with a reddish hue, it screams of unimaginable archaic power and greed. The ancient, eldritch power the stone seemed to hold sickened me, I tore my gaze away. My eyes led me to a bizarre painting. It depicted a man dressed in a sky blue shirt, with a bouquet of various flowers stemming from his neck. Feeling slightly disturbed I turn around and glance at a cozy sofa, with a fireplace burning with pale flames that illuminated the melancholy room. Intrigued, I head towards the couch and take a seat, relaxing after what felt like years. Sinking comfortably within the confines of the leather couch, an aged book accompanied by two candles catches my eye. It appears to be far more menacing than to be worth opening. 

 

I instead loom upon another shelf located to the far right of the room, up on the top there is another jar, but with a completely obsidian covered amulet, with a purple glowing gemstone in the center. Looking away again, slightly terrified. I glance at a glowing feather, it seems intriguing, so I walk over to it and inspect it closer. It looks like a sort of relic, forgotten by time, and even space to some extent, still in the memories of many. Beside the orange feather, there is a small construct of a tower, standing tall on a small pedestal ,the building seemed inspired by some sort of place situated in the mountains. Losing interest in the artifacts and trinkets presented on the shelving, I slunk back into the comfort of the couch.

I notice what the white flames are burning on, a void like bark. Completely drained of any color, feeling a sort of anxiety looking into the bleached embers, I look at a small clockwork beside the fireplace, swinging back and forth, Tik… Tok… Tik… Tok…  There doesn’t seem to be a way to tell time with it.  Looking to the right of me I notice another part of the room, I hadn’t noticed until now. Standing up from the couch I walked into the room and through the small archway separating the rooms. In the room a telescope was peeking outside the tinted window, clearly not pointing at anything. And a man, standing behind a wooden desk with a small red crystal on top. The man had disturbing eyes, ones that seemed to stare directly into my very soul. As I looked I noticed he had been paying attention to his book, writing intently. He turned more pages than I could count but the book appeared to have no less or more pages on either side. He closed his book before speaking, “All those lives snuffed out, was it worth it in the end?” Suddenly all my memories came flooding back, and I relived everything from the beginning of my life in seconds. I stand in front of this man, nearly fainting over his words. “Struggling to stand?” The man gestured to a seat in a chair in front of his small wooden desk. “Disoriented are you? Sit down, I’d like to hear your answer.” Taking a seat, my headache vanished, and I responded to the strange man. “Yes a bit, all of my actions caused nothing but pain and misery. The dozens of souls I tore apart for my own gain were used in vain.” The man looked intrigued, and leaned toward me. “If your memory serves you well, would you tell me your tale?”  The man seemed genuinely interested in the events that transpired up until now, so I agreed. “I don’t mind, but shouldn’t you tell me your name first?” I asked the frightening man, as he smiled. “I am the Ferryman, I exist to help pass souls that have perished into their next Life, and you have ended up here of course, so I must help you find your way into Your next life. To continue your lineage.” His answer would usually put anyone in disbelief, but I believed him. “...Well, my name is Judari…”

0