Chapter 7 – Mind of the Sigils
3 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“All you have to do is inscribe the sigil that's in the book, onto your sword, it's not that hard.”    

“Well I dont get how you inscribe it, Rito!” I yell out. 

“It's really simple, just take the flake right here, and make a slight carving into the sword.” Rito says as he shows off his nice and clean sword. 

“Well I don’t want to damage it, and I also don’t know how you get the flake under the metal!” I say frustrated. Rito sighs. 

“Alright man, you do you, just meet me at the cafeteria, okay?” Rito says as he slowly paces out of our room. 

“Alright see you there!” I yell after him. I toss my sword to the ground. I just don’t get it, honestly I don’t really care if I damage the sword, but it's annoying to see Rito have such an easy time with it. Especially since we have been in training for a year, and he is just so much more proficient, I don’t get how he also actually makes his sword go up in flames, and worst of all, how he gets lightning around his sword, or even ice, it’s hopeless. I guess I’ll just meet up with him in the cafeteria. I begin walking out of our room, as I get closer to the cafeteria, I start to hear someone hitting metal, I rush over, and my suspicions prove me right. I reach a small room, with water barrels and a forge located to the right, two small lanterns hang from the ceiling. And a particular person is inside. Kaladin is smithing! 

“HEY KALADIN!” I yell at him. Ah Kaladin, of what I know about him, he is from a long line of Haseldan Blacksmiths, A race of strong willed people, most have darkened brown hair, and fair amber skin, I think I heard somewhere, that a Haseldan warrior, was shot with fourteen arrows, and had his left had sliced of, yet he still stood up and fought to the death, for 23 minutes. Anyway I met him in the year me and Rito have been in the Sigil Headquarters. He's a nice person, as long as you don’t touch his swords. He stumbles a bit back, clearly shocked and broken out of his concentration. 

“What is it Judari! I’m working on my baby- I mean, new masterpiece!” Kaladin yells out. He takes a couple steps forward, and stands up straight, he pulls his smithing glasses up and looks at me. 

“So, Whatchu want? You broke another sword or somthin?” Kaladin says, as he slowly brushes off the small pieces of metal dust covering his larp, or as I call it smithing apron. “Not really, just came by to compliment your smithing apron!” I yell after him, as soon as the words have left my mouth, I make a run for it.

“YOU LITTLE RAT, IT'S CALLED A LARP, NEXT TIME I’LL BASH YOUR HEAD WITH MY HAMMER!” I hear being yelled from the smithing room. I let out a huge laugh, as I run towards the cafeteria.

Plates and silverware galore, the cafeteria shines and glitters, that’s what I hope for each time I turn the corner. At least the smell isn’t as bad. I step on the slightly sticky floor, and I begin walking towards Rito sitting at one of the many gross wood tables. 

“Hey Rito!” I say as I get closer to Rito, he is just sitting staring at his yucky food. He looks towards me and gets a smile on his face. 

“Hey, sit down will ya, I got some news.” Rito says fidgeting in his seat. I plump down, and I ask what. 

“Okay so, I eavesdropped a bit when I was in the library earlier today. And I heard Frey talking with a Sigil Commander about something HUGE.” Rito says with excitement and looks me directly in the eyes. 

“And what was this ‘huge’ thing?” I ask Rito, he calms himself down. 

“They were talking about a huge mission, and talking about how when the new batch of Sigils are complete with training, we are going to be sent on a mission to Oresfall, isn’t that sick?” Rito says all giddy. 

“Sounds cool and all, but are we going to be assisted, or going in raw?” I ask jokingly. 

“They said something about a Sigil Commander going with us, but that's beside the point.” Rito pauses and throws his arm around my neck.  

“Think about it Judari, us and others I guess, are going to clean up Oresfall, that’s going in the history books eh?” Rito says with dazzle in his eyes. 

“Cool. Welp I think I gotta go train… Or something.” I say while standing up. 

“Aw okay, you sure you don’t want some nice delicious meat?” Rito says while shoving a piece of meat closer and closer to my face. 

“I think I’m good, see you later though.” I walk out of the empty cafeteria, except a single blonde haired girl sitting in the corner, never seen her before though. She seems to be reading a book with three skulls on it, and a black leather cover. She quickly looks up and pierces me with her cold stare. I walk away shivering. I hear the people above, in the upper parts of the tree, training their sword skills and bodies. I can hear them yelling at each other to hype themselves up. Makes me want to train. Suddenly I spot Frey, he is speaking with the greedy merchant. The merchant is decked in red robes and a weird sort of hat that resembles more of a towel. I walk up to them. 

“Ey, I think a shrieker eye should fetch me more than a sorry one piece of silver.” Frey tells the merchant. 

“It’s not my problem you don’t have more eyes, if you had fifty it could have been a huge deal, necromancers and mages are hunting for those kinds of deals, so either sell that single one, find more or get out of my booth!” The merchant yells back at Frey. 

“Cunt.” Frey says as he walks away annoyed. I look toward him as he approaches me. “Hey Judari!” He yells. 

“Hi Frey, I was meaning to ask you something.” I ask Frey. 

“Sure kiddo, what's up? Please tell me it’s putting that merchant back into his place, he thinks he owns the Headquarters or something.” Frey whispers to me, or at least a whisper for Frey, he was talking normally otherwise. 

“Uhm no, I wanted to ask you about Sigils, I don’t get how to imbue them in my sword, and my training cycle switches next week.” I tell Frey, he straightens up and scratches his head. “Hm, when I was in training, I never really had that kind of problem, but I knew someone who did, your dad, and what I used to tell him was, first of course, press the flake on ya’ sword, make two of each Sigil, so one of each on both sides of your blade. The Sigils of course being thunder, ice and fire.” He pauses, as he begins waving his arms around. 

“Then when you have to make sparks happen, imagine how the skies roar with lightning and thunder, how the blazes of fire gnister in a pitch black room, and how the crystals of ice creep over the misty ice on a cold morning. That’s what I used to tell your dad, even though that bastard never listened.” Frey tells me. 

“Oh so it’s kind of an imaginative thing?” I ask Frey. 

“Well if that helps ya get smoke of yer blade, sure.” Frey says. 

“Thanks a lot Frey, also good luck with that merchant!” I say. 

“Thanks kiddo, also just a reminder, training ends in six weeks, so you betta be ready next time I see you at sigil training.” Frey laughs. 

“I know, well see you later” I say while I walk back to my room. I enter into me and Ritos bunk and I pick up my sword. I take my stance, a single spark flies off a cigar, it falls down, and lands on a leaf, suddenly the leave starts eroding away, and the ashes fall. I focus all of my imagination on my blade, and suddenly I hear the sounds of flames woshing around. I open my eyes to see my sword completely covered in flame, I stop putting energy into my sword and the flame dies out. I take my stance again, a nice quiet lake in the morning, mist covers the waters, and the lake slowly starts being invaded by small crystals, the water gets covered in a thin layer of ice in mere minutes, as a single snowflake drops from the sky. Suddenly I hear a cracking sound, as I open my eyes my sword is covered in light blue transparent ice, it shines and glitters its frost, by being hit by the lowering sun in the horizon. I kick off the ice around my sword, And yet again I take stance. Black clouds swirl around, as the booming sounds of thunder rumble throughout skies. Yellow strikes of thunder fall from the clouds, and strike the ground in their fury. Suddenly my blade shoots up with an electrifying sound, gold webs spread around my sword, buzzing. I swing my sword to the ground and the lighting goes out. I finally figured out the charges.

0