Chapter 10
23 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

It looked like there were a lot less people around on the streets, not only because it was getting dark, but also because many were probably still at the ball in the palace.

Getting out of the city walls, that surrounded the capital, Cid could only think of going to his father’s blacksmithing shop, not wanting to go anywhere else that might get the person that was following him know about what he’s been doing since leaving Leonard. That wasn’t the only reason, as…Uncle Ben and David also knew of this place and if he were to get into any trouble, they might be able to come and help him…Most of the time he had pride and didn’t want to ask for help but, for some reason, he felt like he needed to go somewhere that both Leonard and Uncle Ben knew of…Just in case…

Riding at full speed, Cid reached the shop and got off his horse.

Upon walking right up to the place, seeing that it was locked, Cid stopped with wide eyes and started to panic.

Why hadn’t he thought of it being locked!?

 

Before he had signed away the blacksmithing shop, there had been a lock for the blacksmithing shop, but he had let his father’s workers to unlock it themselves, trusting them like his father had but…This lock…Was not the same one!

The key that he used to have, had been left where he used to stay at Leonard’s residence, and he must of thought of this earlier but after the rush to come here…He had forgotten!

Turning around, seeing that the person behind him was quickly approaching, Cid went around the area, seeing a window.

The shop only had two windows, if he was lucky, one of them should still work!

Checking the first, hearing the horse slow to a stop, Cid let out a small curse and then rushed to the other window, seeing it slightly open.

Quickly going inside the shop, and locking the window after going through, Cid walked backwards, away from the window and waited, while breathing heavily.

 

He had never thought of this outcome, how could he…

Instead of someone either unlocking the door, or coming through the window to come after him, another type of situation happened that brought real panic to Cid…And that was that something went over the window, stopping any light coming in from the outside! Cid grabbed at his clothes, as he started to feel more and more anxious, and wondered if it was the scrap metal that was outside that was now covering the window…

“Stop!” Cid stated, going up to the window, then a big noise came to his ears, making him cringe.

“Stop it!” He yelled again, hearing a loud groan from the other side.

What…What was going on?

“Haha! Now look at you! Locked up and no one to help you! What a great idea!”

Steven…That was Steven’s voice!

 

Going up to the window and opening it, Cid pushed at the scrap metal, but it only moved slightly.

How did Steven get it to stay there!?

If Cid wasn’t so worried about being locked into the place, he would think that Steven showed some intellect if he knew how he did it!

Steven had placed a long piece of scrap metal from the ground to hold the other scrap metal in place, which was probably the smartest thing Steven had ever done!

Seeing that the metal didn’t move, Cid directly turned to the other window, rushing over to it, only to see the same thing start to happen there as well!

 

“No!” Cid yelled, wanting to open the window and push at the scrap metal before it was too late. “Don’t do this!”

“Too late! You wanted to come in between the Princess and I, this is what happens!” Came Steven’s replay.

With another groan from outside of the shop, something heavy was placed to hold the scrap metal in place against the window.

“Well, I feel much better now! Have fun while you don’t get any food or water!”

With that said, Cid heard steps slowly grew more faint and then a horse galloping away.

“…No!” Cid stated, clenching his hands. “I can’t stay here!”

Pushing with all his might, to try and get out of one of the windows, Cid found that they didn’t move enough, so he tried the door.

 

The door was old, but it was sturdy, making anything that Cid tried to do, not work…

“…No…” Cid stated, putting his back against the door, breathing heavily.

How could he end up like this!?

Looking around to his surroundings, Cid attempted to swallow his defeated thoughts of water, seeing none around.

The shop had been closed, still not reopened after Leonard had taken it, so there was no water here. Well, if there were, it probably wouldn’t be suitable to drink anyway…

His father had not had his shop opened like some others did with that extra side of the building exposed, but for once Cid wished it was, so that there would have been no way for him to be locked in it!

 

Cid slid down to the floor, his hands dropping to the ground and he sat there in a daze.

How could he have the best and worst day?

The pretty Princess loves him, she loves him like he loves her, even willing to want a relationship to work but…Now, he was locked in this desolate, closed and dark place, not having any idea upon when he might get out!

There was no doubt that Leonard had the key, but…If Steven won’t tell his father that he was here, locked inside…

A person without food or water, is that really what Steven was doing? Wanting me to die? Cid blinked to his thoughts and couldn’t seem to place Steven as a killer…He was nasty and cruel but not a murderer!

No…This…It can’t be where he dies!

 

It’s just…The place was quite a mess and Cid could tell that it had been looked through thoroughly, probably more times than once, so…Maybe Leonard would not do anything at all with this shop!

What were the chances that he would be found within a day?

Cid caught himself breathing more and more heavily, so he tried to calm himself down.

It was probably the worst circumstance that he had ever been in, so it was no wonder that he was having troubles dealing with it.

He didn’t know how much time went by, but he finally calmed himself down and tried to think about what he could do, without thinking too much about not being found in time.

It was dark now, inside the shop, so he couldn’t look for any food, but he highly doubted there would be food anyway.

So, he just needed to find a place to get out of there…That was all…

Yet…It was no easy feat!

His father had built this small shop well and Cid didn’t find any broken walls that could suggest another way to get out.

 

After trying to get out from using the walls, Cid found what they used to place into the forge and picked it up.

Perhaps he could use this to get the window free…

Taking the heavy object over to the window, Cid put it to the bottom of the scrap metal, trying to push it…To again only see a slight movement but no freedom. So, he tried the top of the scrap metal but didn’t get anywhere, because it was just too hard to push the scrap metal without the object being pushed to the edge of the window, having less stability.

Cursing, Cid threw the heavy object to the ground and leaned on the closest wall.

Looking up, he suddenly had another idea…

If he could climb, he could try the roof!

 

Setting up a very unstable ladder, made up of a broken chair and a few other items in the shop, Cid did manage to get onto one of the parts of the inner roof but when he did, the ‘ladder’ fell to the ground with a loud noise. It hadn’t helped that it was quite dark though, as Cid hardly knew how he had made a ladder in the first place!

Cid held onto the roof railing, panting, glad that he had at least gotten this far.

The roof wasn’t all that far from the ground, but the problem was, the roof was a lot more stable then Cid thought.

Because a blacksmith needed a forge, therefore an area that had to deal with heat, the roof was not any type of regular roof, it was sturdy and probably was capable of handling more heat than that of a normal roof.

 

Pushing with all his might against the areas that he could get to, Cid could only do so much before he realized that this was also a place in the building that seems to be well built.

Hugging the beam for a moment, Cid closed his eyes, not wanting to give up but not sure how else he could get out of this predicament!

It was dark and he had come across a few spider webs, not knowing if at this present moment a spider may be on him. He assumed that his clothes were very dirty now too, wishing that he had taken off his good long coat, that the Princess had gifted to him, before coming up to the roof…

 

By now, the sun was starting to come up, but it was still quite dark in the shop, not helping Cid knowing what time it really was and how long he’d been there.

…Exhausted, Cid got down and sat down against the wall.

Closing his eyes, he told himself that he had tried enough and that he should get some sleep. One side of him agreed, but another didn’t. What if someone came and left because he did not reply to them? What if he kept thinking and would think of a way to get out of here, that all he needed was another hour and he’d come up with another way? But if he were asleep…

 

He wanted to be awake for when Benjamin might come, or David, but considering that he had worked so hard to try and get out of this place, he was really tired…

“Mmm, this might sell.”

Frowning, Cid looked to a certain spot, wondering if he really heard someone speak.

In another instant, a noise clattered outside and Cid found light coming into one of the windows. Getting up quickly, Cid raced to the window and opened it, seeing someone outside, looking at the scrap metal.

When that person saw him, they stopped and Cid smiled at them when he was fully out of the window, “Thank you.”

The person looked at the scrap metal and Cid could see a huge difference in them all of a sudden.

Holding out their hand, they said, “Money!”

Astonished, Cid stood there in a daze…

 

“I haven’t got all day!”

It was a woman’s voice and Cid, who was still relishing from being let out, was having trouble holding back a smile.

The woman in front of him put her hands to her hips and angrily looked at him, and that was enough for Cid to laugh.

He had been in such a terrible state before and now felt like he had another lease on life, to see that the person that saved him, who didn’t mean to, must be a thief!

Before he knew it, the woman came to him and started to go through his clothes, making him go stiff.

“Hey!” Cid stated, trying to get away from her.

“Pay up!” She stated, obviously not caring for normal space between a man and woman.

Cid tried harder to stay away from her and they ended up going in a bit of a circle, then headed away from behind the shop, “Keep your hands to yourself!”

 

“I’m only trying to obtain what I deserve! A life is priceless so I will not only take your coat and your hat, but you must give me even more!” The woman stated, already holding the coat and hat, making Cid extremely angry.

What a demon!

“Have the metal, didn’t you want that first anyway?” Cid pointed, not just because he wanted her to change her direction of thoughts regarding payment, but also that of wanting to get his stuff back from her!

It hadn’t worked though, she kept a good hold of his belongings, not letting him go near them. “No, thank you. I’d much rather money.”

Cid frowned and put a hand to his money pouch, that was attached to his waist now.

Getting out a few notes, Cid held them out, to which the woman tried to snatch them straight away, but Cid didn’t let her!

 

“Give me my clothes back and I’ll let you have this money!” Cid declared, keeping an eye out on any tricks that she might have.

The woman narrowed her eyes at him, not moving for a moment.

Clearly, she was thinking, and Cid hoped that she would just take this opportunity that he was giving her and stop giving him a hard time!

Finally, the woman moved, but not like he wanted her too!

She had smiled, then went to the window and placed his clothes back inside of the shop, making Cid extremely angry!

He had just gotten out of there!

Putting the money away, the woman frowned, “I’m not holding your things anymore, why put away something that you are just going to give to me!?”

 

Cid stood up straight, having enough of these stupid games of hers and started to walk away.

He was not going to go back in there! So…He will just have to pick up his coat and hat another time! He had the certain suspicion that the woman would lock him up again, wanting to milk him dry of all his worth!

She really had a lot of guts!

“Wait, you haven’t paid me yet!” The woman stated, following after him.

Cid had already walked to the front, to see his horse gone, and sighed.

He closed his eyes for a moment and tried to calm himself down. What does he expect? Of course, Steven would take his horse so why was he so surprised!?

 

Cid stopped a hand trying to reach into his clothes again and turned around, showing this woman his anger.

The woman stepped back, trying to pull at her hand but Cid didn’t release it.

“Ok, I won’t steal, alright! Now let me go!” The woman stated, still pulling at her hand.

Cid took a deep breath and could only come up with one solution, and that was that he’d have to walk all the way to his home.

It would most likely take an hour or so, but he was all pent up with anger right now and decided that it might do him some good.

“Hey! Let go of me!” The woman yelled, getting Cid’s attention once again.

 

Looking at the woman, pretty sure that she will only cause him more troubles, Cid picked up some broken rope and tied her hands to one of the pillars outside of the shop.

“Hey…Hey, what are you doing!?”

Cid tightened the rope and looked at her, “I don’t want you to follow me.”

“What are you, some type of hermit!” She stated.

“So what if I am.” Cid stated, showing her some notes, then placing them into her clothes.

“Hey! You!”

 

Making sure that the rope wouldn’t fall lose at any time soon, Cid dashed into the shop and quickly got his clothes, unable to leave without his gifts. He was scared of being locked in there once again that his heart was racing upon coming back out…Glad to see the woman still roped up to the pillar.

Breathing out in relief, ignoring her further, Cid put on his dirty coat and hat, already looking in the direction that he needed to go back home.

Then, Cid started to leave and even started to jog, feeling better already to be on his way home. He was tired, that was for sure, but he was also very glad that the woman had come, even if she was a thief.

He had paid her willingly, as he was that grateful to be gone from that place…

 

 

It wasn’t long after, that the woman rubbed her hands after she had freed herself. They weren’t bleeding but they felt itchy and were a bit red.

Mumbling, she sighed and got out the notes that had been placed into her clothes.

Smiling, she put away the money and took a deep breath, “Today seems to be such a good day already!”

“Who are you!?”

The woman turned, seeing three men in front of her…Smiling, she took a step back and turned.

Hearing the words, ‘catch her’ from behind, the woman used people, shops, houses and other things to get away or put more space between her and her pursuers.

 

On the process now of getting on top of a roof, where she knew she could jump from one roof to another, the woman had yet to stand up before she saw someone standing in front of her.

“That’s an interesting talent you have there.”

The woman sighed and quickly wondered how she was going to get out of this mess!

Within no time, a big hand went around her wrist and she mumbled, acting out her grievance, as she tried to use her other hand to go into the man’s clothing.

Taking out something, seeing now that she was on the ground once again, she hid what she had stolen and lowered her head, as it seems they were walking back to where they had found her originally.

 

She’d been caught a few times before, if she acted like she was sorry, she had better chances of getting away with it!

“Did you possibly see someone here, a young man, about this tall?”

The woman looked at the middle-aged man and blinked…They weren’t going to claim her as a criminal? They weren’t going to lock her up?

“Did you or did you not?” Came words from beside her, who she guessed was the one holding her wrist.

Looking at him, her mouth fell opened a bit in shock…

“What, lost your nerve now?” He stated, but she was a bit in a daze to how handsome he was.

A blush formed on her face and she looked away, only to look back at him and smile, “Hey handsome.”

1