Chapter 4: Let’s Get Crafting
82 0 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Dread spread across my body as laid on the cool ground.

“Three moons, that that that that can’t be possible” I tremble on the muddy floor. “I knew that this place wasn’t normal, with the red eyed ape being a dead giveaway, but I thought I was just a faraway place that maybe I could return home to in a few days, but being in a whole other planet is a lot to swallow”.

I stand up and begin to pace back and forth “How am I supposed to get home, this can’t be possible” I say as I pull at my blonde hair. “I’m going to dye here aren’t I with no one knowing exactly what happen to me”, I say as I tremble uncontrollably. I come to a complete stop, and I raise my hand and slap myself hard across the face.

STATS:
Name: Miles Egan
Health: 9/10

“My name is Miles Egan and I will survive this” I say as I rub my cheek. “So, the facts are, 1) I woke up on a beach with no idea on how I got here. 2) I have this bizarre and sometimes mocking video game system. 3) I have stats and skills like in a video game. 4) This island has hostile monsters that would like nothing more than to pick little pieces of me out their teeth with my bones. 5) Lastly, and most importantly I am not even on earth anymore.” I think out loud.

“There is nothing I can do about any of that” I say as I shrug “The only thing I can really do is take one step at a time”. I take a glance at my surrounding area, I guess step one is finishing building a camp so I can hold out until morning. I start to gather the tree leaves that I pulled off the tree and drag them to the pieces of broken trees that I gathered earlier before I had my haunting realization that I’m very far away from home.

I gather two sticks that are around four or five feet long and one stick around 10 feet long. I then prop the two shorter sticks up in the shape of the letter A. Then I prop the longer stick up at the top of the A. I tie the three sticks together with pieces of palm tree leaves that I made into strips. The three sticks will be in the shape of an A-frame tent with one end collapsed against the ground. Now I prop up more sticks against the longer stick, and pile palm tree leaves against the sticks until I have an insulated shelter open at the high end. I take a step back to admire my handy work, “It ain’t winning no prizes but it will do, and plus it kind of blends in”

A-Frame Makeshift tent blueprint added into the crafting menu.

“Oh wow that’s amazing that it will auto create blueprints based on what I create” I blink at the popup screen. “You know with all the commotion of everything I forgot that I have three other tabs to my system screen that I haven’t really gotten the chance to explore that well” I say as I open my system menu and scroll to the quests tab.

The quest tab has five different subtabs, the first subtab says “Completed quests”. I click on the “Completed Quest” subtab and to no surprise it shows all of my completed quests. “I don’t know what I expected”. I then scroll to the next subtab labeled “Ongoing Quests”.

Quest: [Explore the Dodola Island]

You have awoken on the Dodola Island. Explore the area to discover more and also more importantly don’t die.
Objective: Explore Dodola Island 0/1.
Total Distance Covered: 23.2%
Reward: Skill gain (Instant Camp Fire)

“With that being my only real quest that I have received that wasn’t either life or death its not to surprising” I say with a shrug “On to the next tab”. I place my finger on the next subtab labeled “Tasks”, on the system menu it displays nothing but two boxes. The first box on the left has a plus sign and says add task, and the box on the right is completely blank.

“I wonder what the difference between a quest and a task is” I say as I rub my chin.

***Quests: Objectives that have been assigned to you by the world***

***Tasks: Objectives that are assigned to the user by either the user or by the local populist***

“Well, that answers that thank you my good friend” I say with a smile “what makes me happy most about that statement is that it says local populist that means I’m not alone on this planet right?”

“I will have to explore this island more in the morning and hopefully I can find some people” I say with a frown. “The other thing that gets me about the tasks explanation is that I can assign tasks myself I wonder how that would work and if I can assign a crazy reward for doing something simple” I pounder to myself.

I click on the add task icon, and another blank box appears. “Umm what do I do now” I say out loud.

TASK: Umm what do I do now…..

“Oh, so its voice activated that’s convenient, but I don’t see this being that useful”

TASK: Umm what do I do now…. Oh, so its voice activated that’s convenient, but I don’t see this being that useful.

I click the box and it disappears “Alright jackass I don’t need the sarcasm”. I view the task subtab again and the left box now has my task that I created a moment ago, to the right of it has a green check mark and a red X. I click the green check mark.

TASK: Umm what do I do now Oh, so its voice activated that’s convenient, but I don’t see this being that useful

Would you like to mark complete:
Yes/No

“Yes please get this thing away from me” I say as I click the yes icon. The left box is now once again blank. “Well, I think this thing will help me keep track of my thoughts and help keep me organized”. I click on the next tab labeled “Faction Quests”.

CLASS: Waste of skin
No factions associated with this class therefore no faction quests are available!

“I got to find a way to change this class, every time I see it I feel like its mocking me.” I scroll past to the last subtab labeled “Bounties”.

Bounties:
No assigned bounties, see the local bounty hunter to have bounties assigned.

Bounty Inventory
[Soul of Red Eyed Torment Ape] x 1

“I guess that answers the burning question of what I’m going to do with a soul of a monster.” I push my hand through the Bounty Inventory and pull out the [Soul of Red Eyed Torment Ape]. In my hand is a glowing white orb about the same size of a ripe apple and it feels warm to the touch. I try to look at it but it is almost as bright as the sun, I however notice a slight noise coming from the orb. I listen to it carefully and I hear the familiar sound of the Ape’s enraged roar. I quickly shove the soul back into my bounty inventory.

“Oh god there is no way that thing is still alive, and I don’t want to risk it somehow coming back so back in the magic inventory screen you go”. My life is getting so freaking crazy, but it sure beats my normal 9 to 5 life. “Anyway, now to my next tab” I say as I click on the next main tab labeled “Maps””. The screen in front of me has two sub tabs one says, “World Map” and the other says “Local Map”, I click on the tab that says “World Map”.

On the world map it shows very little with most of the map being blacked out with the exception of a small smudge of clear data that’s directly in the middle. In the top right corner, there is a compos icon and a plus or minus sign “Well that’s obviously a zoom in or zoom out button” I say as I click on the minus sign a few times until the clear image in the middle is no longer visible anymore.

“I truly am a small fish in a big pond” I sigh as I click the plus sign until the majority of the map is a clear image of data. I click on the “Local Map” subtab next and to my surprise the local map is a lot more detailed then the “World Map” subtab. On the “Local Map” subtab in the very top has the name of the island “Dodola Island” and it shows an outline of the entire island with the majority of it being grayed out and the about a quarter of it showing actual data. I map shows detailed info about which parts are beach and which parts are local jungle.

“This map will defiantly help me complete the exploration quest that I have.” I continue to view the “Local map” and I notice to the right it has similar icons as the world map. It has the plus and minus sign just like the world map; however, the minus sign is grayed out, I’m assuming that means that it can’t be zoomed out anymore. Also, below the plus and minus signs there is also 10 small boxes all number labeled. I click the plus sign a few times until I see a little arrow in the center of the map.

“I’m guessing that arrow is me” I say as I turn my entire body as I watch the arrow icon on the map move as well “Yep just like I thought”. I click on one of the numbered boxes and as soon as my finger passes through the first box it disappears and goes onto the map directly in front of the arrow symbol on the map. I look up from the system screen because I notice a beam of light in my peripheral vision.

“Oh my god it’s the Batman Signal” I say as giddy as possible as I take a step back to admire the beam of light. I trace the beam of light with my eyes from the bottom all the way to the top where I notice it shows the number 1.

“I think I understand now, I can flag a location on the “Local Map” and this beam of light will show me where its at on the island. This thing is convenient, but it will get annoying if I’m trying to sleep and worse what if the local monsters can see it as well” I say as I shudder at the fact. I switch back to the “World Map” subtab and as soon as I do the beam of light instantly disappears.

“Wait where did it go” I say with a slight panic. I switch back to the “Local Map” subtab and the beam of light reappears. “I guess I have to be in the “Local Map” subtab for this flag to appear, I guess that helps with the whole sleeping situation, but it doesn’t answer the question if the other monsters can see this.” I will have to use the local map sparingly until I can figure that out.

“Now that I have looked at the Map tab, I guess it’s time I look at last tab of this system” I say as I click on the last tab labeled “Crafting”. The “Crafting” screen has 7 subtabs, the subtabs read from left to right: Weapons, Armor, Healing, Potions, Food, Misc, and Skills. I rub my hands together “Now we are talking.”

I click on the Weapons subtab and on the screen, it shows there are 5 grayed out icons floating in the screen.

Weapons:
Stone Knife:
0/1 Basic Rock
0/1 Basic Wood
0/1 Binding

Stone Axe:
0/2 Basic Rock
0/1 Basic Wood
0/1 Binding

Bone Axe:
0/2 Basic Rock
0/1 Ape Bone
0/1 Binding

Stone Spear:
0/1 Basic Rock
0/2 Basic Wood
0/1 Binding

Sling Shot:
0/1 Basic Wood
0/5 Binding

“Well that sucks I don’t have shit, I used all my inventory fighting that stupid ape”

Armor:
Ape Mask:
1/1 Ape Hide
0/1 Binding

Ape Chest Piece:
1/2 Ape Hide
0/2 Binding

Ape Leg Piece:
1/2 Ape Hide
0/1 Binding

Ape Leather Shoes:
1/1 Ape Hide
0/1 Binding

“Nice now I just need to get some bindings and I’ll be able to make some shoes and not having to run around barefoot anymore”

Healing:
Have not discovered any items susceptible for healing.

“Well that sucks I guess ill just have to start shoving random stuff in my inventory to find something.

Potions:
Have not discovered any items susceptible for Potions

“Again I say that sucks”

Food:

Steak:
1/1 Ape Meat

“Finally, something that is not grayed out” I say as I quickly click on the steak icon. The crafting screen glows slightly for a couple of seconds and then a raw steak around the size of arm appears in my hands.

“Oh my gosh this thing is huge, its almost to heavy to carry” I say as I open my inventory screen “In you go.” The steak disappears again and occupies one space in my inventory screen.

“Thank goodness I have this inventory screen I would hate to lug this around until I get a fire going to actually eat this thing”.

MISC:

Bindings:
0/2 Palm tree leaves

Slingshot Ammo x10:
0/1 Basic Rock

A-Frame Makeshift tent: ***BLUEPRINT***
0/7 Basic Wood
0/5 Bindings
0/15 Palm Tree leaves

“Not bad if I do say so myself”

Skills:

Monster Strength:
1/20 [Soul of Red Eyed Torment Ape]

Monster Speed:
1/20 [Soul of Red Eyed Torment Ape]

Improved Tracking:
1/40 [Soul of Red Eyed Torment Ape]

Boon of Strength:
1/50 [Soul of Red Eyed Torment Ape]

“Okay wow so more than one use for a monster soul, but I don’t know if I want to put myself through that hell again” I say out loud with a sigh. “Alright I should start gathering some of the items I need to craft some of these items” I say as crack my knuckles “Let’s get crafting”.

3