Oswell Ch.3: Fleeing
2 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Day 13, Month 6 of the Glory Age year 281

A visibly exhausted messenger arrives at the farm. Not even having time to get his wounds treated the messenger rushes in and tells Idan that Kidraulin has declared war and marched over the border. Everyone is shocked. While small scale skirmishes happen from time to time, this seemed like a full on invasion. 

"My Lord, the declaration of the Kildraulin army is that unless we give them all our territory they would not stop. Spies and agents also agree that the whole country has been mobilized to attack."

"Fuck, after those small skirmishes with other small territories, those bastards now dare to attack us in a full war", Idan responds. His brother already has moved to the frontline and he himself has stayed behind for logistics and securing the backlines.

"Uncle, is father okay?", the daughter of Andre asks. While not saying anything Ellen also seems to be very uneasy. Her husband and her in-laws still did not arrive.

"I am sure he is fine. Your father is a great man. And Ellen, I am sure that your husband and in-laws will get back here safely"

"Thank you Idan. The frontline shouldn't move too fast, so I think they could be safe."

Sadly a day later a new messenger arrives, saying that the frontline moved very fast and the lands have been ransacked. Another few days later more and more messenger arrive as well as refugees. However, they all didn't stop long in town, and moved further, out of fear.

"Ellen, I am sure your husband is within the groups of some of the refugees. But I do not have the resources to find him. I am sorry."

"But aren't you a noble?", Ellen asks while crying.

"Yes, I am. I learned that the day I got the message of my brother dying. Now I have trust in our guards and many of the gladiators have decided to fight for this country as well. However I implore you to take Oswell, and the kids and flee. Please, I do not wish to you all to be in danger. I am a noble, and I will act upon it. I will stay here and fight until my last breath"

Ellen didn't answer, due to her crying.

"I will stay here as well", interjects Oswell. He also has tears in his eyes. He knows that the chance of his brothers still being alive is very slim with how brutal the Kildraulin army behaves. 

"No, you are still too injured. Both I and Nicolin have said this. Plus we want you to take care of the women and children. Remember that Nicolin's wife will also go with you. Rest and in a few weeks when you all are in safety and you have recovered enlist. Fight for this country. I implore you. If I had known at the time that there would be war, I wouldn't have allowed you to fight that ogre, dammit!"

"Idan, you and I both know that noone could've known that these bastards are fully invading our lands."

It knocks on the door, Nicolin and his wife arrived.

"Oswell, brother. I beg you to take my wife and bring her to safety. I have accepted the offer of Idan and will stay here to fight. These lands -- no this kingdom of Fredon has brought me much joy and if I survive I will get some good things."

Everyone in the room knew that the chance that he would survive was very slim. But they did not want him to do. Over the last few days the gladiators and fighting slaves got the offer to stay and fight to become free people. The free fighters could also leave, however this shame would be on them forever. Among the slves there was almost no one optimistic to become a free person. They all knew their chances to be slim to none. However with people like Nicolin staying and a few other strong fighters, some had a slight bit of hope. However there were also some free fighters who decided to leave, in hopes of fighting a more advantageous fight for Fredon. The whole continent was watchign this fight between Fredon and Kidraulin. While the latter kingdom had annexed or subordinated a few smaller territories in the past years, there had been no such large-scale invasion. And Kildraulin was not only invading Fredon, but many other territories as well. Due to their formations, speed and researched magic they advanced faster than advisor would've thought. Because the Kildraulin were so brutal in their strikes, the lands and rivers turned red. 

They slayed both armed fighters and civilians, just for the sake of slashing them. The women got imprisoned and raped. The men were either killed off directly or used as slaves fated to die. The elderly were gathered up to dig the graves for their sons and daughters. Children who didn't behave died along their parents. Those who behaved got imprisoned and sent to the backlines to be trained as more fighting force or just labour. After all, all these warriors in foreign lands meant, that not much of a labour force was staying in the Kildraulin kingdom. All this pain, all this blood brought many to suicide as well. The Kildraulin army does their best in breaking the minds of the survivors. All these stories sounded unbelievably at first, but with more refugees arriving the stories became real in the minds of the citizens. 

Fear and panic spread among everyone. However they have trust in the gladiators and their fighting power. Sadly Oswell would not be able to fight for his city. He, his family and some other kids got on a horse carriage towards the East. Due to Idan they had the privilege of a horse carriage, though they did not know how far they could keep this carriage. And so on the 20th day of the sixth month they departed.

"Uncle Oswell, are we going to be alright?", his nephew asks him. 

While trying to bring out a convincing smile Oswell answers him: "Yes, we will. I will take care of you, your siblings and your mother. However I am not in a decent condition currently, so you have to be the hero your mother needs, okay? You're the oldest of your siblings, I am sure you can do it."

"Okay...", mumbles the boy. Even with Oswell and the others trying to give a good impression on the kids, they also knew that the times were dire. So to give the adults a sense of security, they collectively decided to act somewhat happy for their parents. Everyone was living in this kind of fake world, while they knew that their previous real world already collapsed. 

"Oswell! I know I repeat myself, but take care of them. I may not know if we will see each other while living, but should we fall: Let us gloriously meet in the halls of Phidos!"

"Nicolin...No, brother. I am sorry that I cannot stay beside you and fight. However I promise that I will keep our one big family safe. And you better meet me while you are alive, your wife will be sad if you cannot return to us. One day I will return to this city of ours and find you here." While having tears in his eyes, Oswell responds to his friend of so many years.

Idan arrives from the carriage, sees the two and adds: "Don't worry Oswell, as long as I am here he will not die. I will not a freshly-married man die like this. If need be, I am ready to take on the sacrifice myself."

To this Nicolin responds: "We will see. Idan, I know your brother would be proud of you. Surely our ancestors will see this fight and will be proud. And if one os us falls, the others will have to avenge him. However long it takes, alright?"

In unison they nod and hug each other one last time. The carriage is already packed, the kids inside. The women are are telling Oswell to come as well. There have been some sightings of scouts around the area already, so they needed to make haste. As they leave the farm Nicolin shouts: "Oswell, next time we meet, you better introduce your woman to me!"

 

 

After the carriage left, the remaining people leave the farm and move to the colosseum.

Gathering all the slaves and gladiators that remained, Idan starts his speech.

"Fighters, soon-to-be free people, you all remain here to defend our country, our kingdom from these bastards of the Kidraulin kingdom! They will pay with tears, blood and their lives for invading our lands! They who dare defile our daughters, sisters, mothers! They who kill our sons, brothers and enslave our fathers and grandfathers! They must pay! They must die!"

The crowd starts chanting: "They must pay! They must die!"

After a few rounds of the chant Idan continues.

"Brothers! I may not know all of you well and personally. However! I know that I can trust you to fight here. We will part our troops into three regiments. Each regiment will have 200 people. I know, it may not sound like a lot, but many of our forces have already moved to the frontlines. Worry not! If we survive for long enough, there will be support forces, coming from the East."

The crowd was silent, knowing that Idan had to say more and more importantly they were all in thoughts of the upcoming fight and if support would actually arrive. They had their doubts.

"Now, let me explain the regiments. Regiment One: They will pursue hit-and-run tactics on the enemy to slow them down. Regiment Two: You will be an open force defending the city. Regiment Three: You shall be a hidden force, also defending the city. If need be assist the second regiment. Now! We have three desks, each one for one of the regiments. Tell your name to the desk if you wish to join a specific regiment. Once a regiment has been filled, you can go to another table."

The crowd chants a few times and then goes to the tables. Late at night all roles have been assigned. Idan is the command leader of both the second and third regiment, while Nicolin is the leader of the first regiment.

0