Chapter 3: Learning: It’s hard to seem intelligent when you don’t know the name of your country.
123 0 6
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

It was dusk, the sun was about to set when I woke up in my new bed. I sat on the bed and saw Sixth by my side.

Wait…

That’s not Sixth?

It was an old man sitting on my bed. When I sat, he leaned towards me and locked his eyes into mine, his face was so close to mine we could kiss if I leaned forward a little.

Seeing the old man, I jumped from the bed without thinking twice. I was extremely frightened and a little worried about my chastity.

“You are really energetic. Oh, the youth! I wish I was myself back in the day, able to take on five woman and ten men. Sigh… A pity my time has passed.” Said the old man while caressing his beard with a sad expression.

I was looking at the old man with a rare dumbfounded expression, unlike my usual poker-face. While thinking “Why the fuck is my roommate a bisexual old man?!” and wondering whether I had lost my innocence while sleeping, I tried my best to calm down.

Facing the old man, that didn't seem like the kind of old man that would do such things to me while I sleep (Or at least I hoped so), I returned to my usual Poker-face.

“You must be Scribe Arledge…” I said, looking at him while trying to contain the shivers running down my spine whenever I looked at him.

The old man got up from my bed and smiled.

“Indeed, young man. I am Scribe Arledge of Flower Forest, from the western duchy of Whitewood. It’s a pleasure to meet a young lad with such fair skin and healthy body.” He said, looking at my body with a wider smile.

Seeing that an old man was ‘checking me out’, I felt my entire body tremble as I answered.

“I am Scribe Kyle, a pleasure to meet you, Sir Arledge.” I said.

The old man shook my hand in a friendly way. He had a happy smile on his face that would make him seem like a kind old man, and I don't think he isn't but for some reason, I felt a slight pain on my rear while looking at his smile.

After getting acquainted, the old man extended an invitation to me.

“Are you busy tonight? Although the nightlife in Red Stone Town isn't that rich, there is a tavern I know with plump wenches and good ale. Would you like to accompany me? My treat, of course.” He said, with an emphasis on the word plump.

“I am thankful mister Arledge, but I would like to go to the library to study. My scholarly knowledge has become rusty after the long trek I took here, so I must abstain.” I said, still being polite, and using words I wouldn't usually use like 'trek' and 'abstain', which made me feel as if I were speaking like an aristocrat. Later I would realize that’s a weird way to speak when in a normal conversation.

Old Arledge seemed disappointed at my refusal, but he still didn't push it.

“Okay, I'll be going then. If you get tired, go to the 'Red Peach Pub'. I'll be there until late at night.” He said before exiting the room.

After he left, I looked at another part of the room, towards Sixth.

“I need to ask… Did he do something while I was asleep?” I asked, my heart filled with worry.

Sixth laughed out loud, in a really exaggerated way.

“Hahahahahaha! Yeah! He definitely abused your poor young body and made the flower on your backside bloom! Hahahahahaha!” He exclaimed, uncontrollably laughing at me.

I knew he was being sarcastic, and I can’t really be angry at him, even I would have been laughing at myself in this situation.

Am I just that unlucky? Is that the Isekai Protagonist effect?

Ignoring the laughing deity, I walked out of the room.

In the hallway, I saw the guard from last night that was on the morning shift with Henri. His name was Enki.

He's from the south it seems… I don’t know what is there, but it is beyond the mountains, and he's the head of the guard of Baron Angus.

I nodded at him before going straight to the second Floor.

The door to the left is Lord Angus' Bedroom, while the door to the right is the Library.

As I entered, I noticed It was a little bigger than it should have been. Probably because of magic. It wasn't much bigger in length, but it was higher than the roof should have been.

It was much like those old libraries, wood bookstands filled with enough books to bury a house. But there weren't any stairs to access the books on the higher shelves.

However, by the side of the entrance, I saw two round and small tables. One had a thick book and the one by its side was empty.

I looked at the book and, on its cover, there were the words 'Library Index'. Opening the book, I realized that it was the listing of the names of all the books in the library, organized by categories such as history, geography, arithmetic, and magic theory.

There were many things I recognized, but things like magic theory were completely new to me.

I looked at one title in the geography session after reading the titles, the 'Geographic Compendium of The Realms' sounded like what I needed.

There was nothing in the book saying where in the library the compendium was, but as I touched the name, a book came out of the bookstand and flew to the empty table. It was the compendium I needed.

The book was so thick it could probably smash a car's window just by accidentally letting it fall on it. I could lift it, but it was hard. I took it to a table and then started reading.

I read through the book and saw that it had information on the known kingdoms and countries on the charted lands, and extremely specific information on the kingdom I am in now.

The name of the kingdom is the Eastern Argent Kingdom. It seems there was a civil war a few centuries ago, and there is now the Western Argent Kingdom to the west of this kingdom.

I kept reading the book, only reading the information on this kingdom for now.

I first read about the Red Stone Barony, then the duchy that houses it, the Golden State Duchy.

After that, I read about the other Baronies, Counties, and Marquisates of the Golden State Duchy.

I took a different book to read about the Kingdom's history.

After an hour studying, I learned many things since I am a stupidly fast learner, learning a great deal in a brief time is easy for me…

But that was it.

I am innately intelligent and learn things quickly, plus I was excited since there were many things I didn't know to learn.

However, my fatal flaw is my laziness...

It wasn't too obvious back on earth, since listening to lectures is easy, I just had to sit back and absorb knowledge like a sponge while answering questions if the professor asked me, but I am too lazy to learn by reading books.

I got unbearably bored after studying for one hour and my focus and excitement disappeared like dust after a whirlwind.

That was when I wondered…

How the hell will I be a Scholar if I just learned the name of my kingdom an hour ago?!

I tried to study more since my life depended on it…

But I was too bored.

"It seems like even though you are from the information era, you are having a tough time being smarter than even a child here! Hahahaha!" Sixth said, mocking me. As much as I wanted to punch that smug face, that would be useless.

Still, I didn’t give up on learning!

I took the index book again and called a book.

Seeing it land on the table like the previous ones, a satisfied and excited smile appeared on my face.

"If my lazy college-self can't study. I'll let my otaku eighth-grade-self do it."

I took the book and put it on the table I was sitting.

Its name was 'Basic Magic'.

6