Chapter 14: Backed into a corner!
83 0 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Artmer and I drunk until late at night and departed on our caravan to Golden State city by the morning. It would take little more than ten days by the roads to reach the city. Although I would be late to come back, it would not be enough to incur a serious punishment.

For six days, everything was calm and unfortunately, the roads we took were clear of bandits.

Artmer was getting more relieved by the day as we got closer to the city, we talked on the road and he said that although he had hired me, it was unlikely they would be discovered after going to such lengths to remain covert.

Bosta has many loyal soldiers, with their deep pockets many Magi would join them if they don’t inherit any land, and most of the lower-leveled Magi would rather join them than the Kingdom, as their payments were stable and higher than tending to a small fief. They even had fourth-level Magi, while it is rumored that they have one fifth-level Magus, a figure at the peak of magic.

Artmer, however, was accompanied by only two Martial Artists and a few guards. If he wasn’t trying to be covert, having even a fourth level Magus in the caravan wouldn’t be asking too much.

So, it wasn't weird that no one had attacked us until now.

However, it was as we passed through a forested part of the road to the capital, that we were finally stopped.

“Young Master of the Black Gold Family! Surrender and we may spare the lives of your escorts!”

A hoarse voice was heard as an illusion spell dissipated in front of the caravan.

There were twenty-one men in front of us, eighteen of them wore sturdy armor, while also carrying heavy tower shields and red-tipped spears. Two of them were wearing heavy armor, one carried a black great sword and the other a yellow spear.

The last man wore luxurious clothing with a golden battle-armor that covered his robes, a sword hung by his side. He was a tall and skinny man with full beard, his face carried an obscene smile and he didn’t seem like an expert, only like an old man with armor.

As I sensed the carriage stopping and saw the newly arrived people, I cast a Detect Mana spell and discovered that eighteen of them were first-level Martial Artists, while two of them were second level ones. The skinny man in luxurious clothing… He was a Magus!

Both, me and Artmer exited the carriage with the Ghouls and the two experts protecting us.

I wore plain noble clothing, that wasn’t as luxurious and adorned as Artmer’s but was still much better than my previous clothing.

The two parties looked at each other, Artmer looked at the Magus of the other party and asked.

“Were you sent by Pica?”

“Indeed. Just recently we were able to acquire your travel plans. We didn’t dare attack with our elites since their movements would be easily noticed, it would then become a battle of elites. This was the most we could mobilize without alarming Bosta… But we come prepared.”

As he said that, Artmer gritted his teeth as he looked at the equipment, it seems their equipment wasn’t ordinary.

“Artmer… How bad is our situation?” I asked.

Artmer looked at me with a serious expression.

“With that equipment, each of them is probably as strong as second level Martial Artists, the second level ones are as strong as third level ones. The Magus’s equipment is ordinary, but he mustn't be underestimated.” Artmer explained.

The situation was bad. The difference between the first and second level of Martial Artists wasn’t big, but there were eighteen of them. A third level Martial Artists is usually as strong as a First level Magus. With a real Magus aiding them it became a small elite force…

“Any plan Kyle? I have a few backup plans, but they involve running by myself and you will definitely die.” Artmer asked while being a bit too honest.

This is a harsh situation, had I been on my real power as a Necromancer, defeating them would be easy. However, the real power of a necromancer depends on something I don’t have yet… Using that now would impair my future as a necromancer, so it is a last-measure action.

“How loyal are your men?” I asked Artmer.

“All death-sworn. They will die gladly if I ask them to.” He answered.

I don’t want to know how these guys were trained, but that should be enough.

“How many of them are training Mana?”

“All of the guards are initiating Mana Practice, but only the two experts are Martial Artists.”

Understanding what I meant, he looked at the guards behind him.

“I can only have five more… Get the rest to enter the largest carriage.” I said, showing no emotion.

After my order, five of the guards behind unsheathed their swords and solemnly killed themselves, stabbing their own hearts.

The people from Pica waited as Artmer spoke with me but were surprised when five of our guards killed themselves.

Disregarding their confusion, I cast the Raise Ghoul Spell on the five of them. The guards rose after the spell was done, as full-fledged ghouls.

After they rose, I started casting spells.

“Quadruple-Cast: Ape’s Strength, Cat’s Dexterity, Stoneskin.”

With these spells cast, the ghouls and experts became stronger, agiler and had naturally hard skin, with this they should be able to hold for a while.

“Hold them off. I’ll make some preparations…” I said, going to a carriage and being followed by the living guards who had resolute looks in their eyes.

As I entered the carriage, the ghouls along with the experts started battling. Artmer didn’t need protection, as the people from Pica wouldn’t dare hurt the young master of Bosta, lest Bosta loses all decorum with them.

This was my first real battle in this world.

3