Chapter 34: Unswimmingly (III)
13 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Pearl was absolutely bored. So much for a good time.

Marina and the other Octoling ladies were hard at work trying to figure out how to counteract whatever this ‘Gate’ bozo had cooked up. All Pearl knew was that it was bad and they needed to find a solution quickly. Unfortunately, Pearl was not technically inclined whatsoever, so she was just lounging around, and the only thing that was keeping her occupied was watching the screens the Cap’n was using to monitor the situation.

You seem to be the odd one out in this situation, Pearl,” said Dr. Light, his hologram appearing next to the couch. “I wish I had any ideas on how you could help, but…”

It’s alright, Doc, it’s honestly more on me for being useless,” Pearl sighed, sitting up. “I’m not some engineering genius or a superstar secret agent, I’m just good at singing and being, well, really rich.”

In all fairness, you never expected to be pulled into a secret war.”

Don’t I know it,” Pearl chuckled, and looked over at Marina, who noticed her gaze, and waved back with a smile. She nearly swooned there and then. “Man, though, ain’t she just amazing?

Not the first time I’ve heard that sentiment from you,” Dr. Light smiled. “Yes, she is an incredibly intelligent young woman. I’d say you’re lucky to have her as your partner.”

Right?!” Pearl grinned. Though that brought her mind back to how Marina was doing something productive and, well, she wasn’t. “I need to up my game. Marina’s being all cool and helpful and I’m just sitting on my butt. Gotta figure out what I can do that nobody else can.”

I assume something other than just being able to point the Princess Cannon at a problem.”

Well, yeah, but that should go without saying. Also I don’t wanna wreck my vocals. So, Doc, you got any insight into what’s happen’ on the ground over there?”

I do have drones scanning the area, but unfortunately I don’t have much in the way of analysis yet,” the AI said, stroking his beard. “That being said, there are a few familiar energy signatures, but they’re not clear enough for me to make a proper determination. But if I’m right, then they would be somewhat troubling, perhaps.”

Pearl sighed, lying down again on the couch. “Just lay it on me, Doc, what’re we potentially lookin’ at?”

The first two signatures are less clear, but I think Gate’s device is powered by some kind of artefact from the old human era. Its exact nature isn’t entirely clear,” Dr. Light said, bringing up a holographic map that showed the energy signature coming straight from the device itself. He then switched to something in a storage compartment in the lab as well. “Gate had something else that has a vaguely familiar energy signature, but right now it could be any number of things, and none of them good. If it’s what I think it might be… Then Gate is playing with fire. Thankfully… I integrated functions into X’s weapon systems that would allow him to deal with it, if that comes to pass. When I created X, I took lessons from Mega Man’s countless encounters and integrated as many of them as possible into his weapons systems.”

Doc, just spit it out, what do you think Gate’s messin’ with?”

Something from the dark realms - based on the signature, likely the Netherealm, possibly demonic in origin.”

Pearl’s eyes shot wide and she bolted onto her feet, “EXCUSE ME?! That just raises more questions?!”

The Agents can throw fireballs now and now you’re surprised to learn that demons exist?” Dr. Light asked, with some amusement, making Pearl feel a bit silly for not realising that was a perfectly valid conclusion. “But yes, I am a bit familiar with the paranormal elements of our world at this point. While it wasn’t in his wheelhouse, Mega Man has encountered various supernatural entities during his adventures. There are multiple supernatural realms beyond our own, some more benevolent, some quite malicious, and some in-between. I believe there are energy signatures from at least two of the darker realms. The good news is, however, beings from these two realms really don’t like each other.”

I guess evil isn’t exactly one big happy family, huh?” Pearl said dryly.

Not all devils are evil - the Legendary Dark Knight, Sparda, was once the right hand man of the lord of the Netherealm, Mundus, before it is said he ‘awoke to justice’ and turned on his master, severing the connection between this world and the Netherealm. He would go on to bear two children, who themselves became great heroes in their own right. But yes, unless united under a single powerful leader, demons tend to fight amongst themselves for territory and prey. But the other likely realm is ‘Makai’, a more benign realm where many more morally neutral paranormal beings reside. Makai, last I knew of it, was ruled by the Aensland clan, and they despise Mundus and his ilk.”

Pearl was trying to parse all the proper nouns, and wasn’t doing a very good job of it. She just gave up and rubbed her temples. “Maybe I shouldn’t have asked.”

I wouldn’t worry about the specifics. Besides, I can’t ascertain exactly who or what is involved,” Dr. Light said. Pearl then heard him mutter, “if she’s involved, though, then that would be a problem… Would she be an ally or our enemy…?”

Pearl decided not to pry. She already was having trouble understanding any of this demon world nonsense as it was.

Artemis winced as she cut right through an Octoling soldier, splatting him. Using an actual blade felt more lethal to use. Without respawning, it absolutely would be, but right now she didn’t have a lot of choice. Thank goodness the enemy had a working respawn point.

She and Koji had been trying to avoid enemy patrols, but it didn’t take long for them to end up engaging foes in direct combat. Thankfully Octotroopers were much easier to deal with even in these corridors, but Octolings were trickier. However, Artemis had quickly figured out that she could use Red Queen to block incoming shots and let Koji shoot back with the Blaster.

So far so good,” Koji said as he splatted an Octotrooper, finishing off the group. Right now they were next to a corner and a set of stairs going up. “Maybe we should head back upstairs. Might be less of these containment doors up there.”

The base had three main floors - Gate’s lab had been on the third, bottom floor.

I dunno, I’ve been hearing loud footsteps coming from above,” Artemis mused as she carefully scanned their surroundings, “I think they might be trying to cut us off from the main entrance. Or worse, our actual entry-point.”

Yeah, Gate might’ve already known where we came in if he had his own security system,” Koji nodded, watching her back. “Which would not be good for us at all, they’d be able to set up ambushes for us up there if they know where we’d be going.”

But it’d make it easier for us to rendezvous with the rest of the squad. Let’s stick around on the bottom flo-”

Suddenly she heard movement from around the corner. She waited for the footsteps to get close, and dived out, slashing. “HI-YA!”

She managed to get an Octotrooper, but her blade got caught on a Splat Brella being held by an Octoling - the umbrella itself was shredded, but the blade still got caught on the metal bits. “HUH?!”

The Octoling grinned as he shoved away the blade, while a female Octoling jumped Artemis, grabbing her and wresting the blade from her tentacles. “Got her!”

Artemis was wondering why Koji wasn’t blasting these dudes, but then she saw why - a separate group had attacked from the stairs. She had been so focused on this group that she didn’t register hearing the sounds of battle behind her until now, and apparently Koji had been rushed and pinned down. “Agent 12!”

Sorry, 5… I got a couple of them, but there were too many…” Koji groaned, as his Blaster was wrested from his tentacles.

You put up a surprisingly good fight, little squid,” gloated the male Octoling, grabbing Artemis’ tentacles and holding her upside-down, helpless. “Two down. Let’s take ‘em to the cells.”

Sorry, guys… I failed… Artemis thought to herself, struggling desperately.

The female Octoling who had pinned down Artemis suddenly struck the male right in the chest, something black and drill-like briefly forming around her hand, splatting him instantly, causing Artemis to fall to the floor. “Hmm… I think not.”

The other Octolings were immediately alarmed, pointing their weapons at her. “What the shell are you doing?!”

Letting you capture them would actually be an inconvenience for me, so I’m not going to let you,” the Octoling girl said idly as she turned to them, her green eyes glowing as she fired off some kind of energy projectile from her fist, which sent one of her other ‘comrades’ sprawling. She frowned, her hair changing to green, “that should’ve splatted you. I must seriously be running low on energy… All this time undercover and I haven’t had a chance to get my fill recently. That’s a problem.”

Artemis was just staring in confusion. “Uh… Wha?!”

You… You damn spy!” Snapped one of the other Octolings as they opened fire with an Octo Shot and a Blaster. Artemis jumped out of the way in a panic.

The mysterious Octoling sighed, as she dashed out of the way with uncanny agility, though she got some ink on her. “I really am low on energy, normally that stuff wouldn’t do anything to me. I guess I’ll just steal some of it from you!”

Koji, however, grabbed his Blaster, and started splatting his distracted foes. Artemis also retrieved Red Queen, and rushed the girl who got knocked down, managing to strike her right before she managed to get up.

The mysterious Octoling pouted, “unbelievable! Robbing me of my satisfaction, how dare you!”

Koji leveled his Blaster at her. “I have half a mind to splat you too, lady. Are you a friend or foe?”

She sighed, her form suddenly changing into that of an Inkling with a ‘banger’ hairstyle (without the actual bangs) and walked off, “fine, I’ll get my fill elsewhere, spoilsport. I swear, some men can’t see a good time if it hit them in the face.”

What the shell was all that about?!” Artemis said, as she and Koji regrouped. She couldn’t help but stare at the Inkling’s derriere - she had one shell of an ass. And those legs

I dunno, but she saved our tentacles, that’s for sure,” Koji sighed. “Let’s get moving before they come back… Probably best to get upstairs.”

Artemis shook her head, refocusing. “R-Right. Upstairs it is, then.”

Callie was in front with her Roller while Marie was watching her back with her Charger. They’d been doing this long before Ethan and Ayane, so they knew what they were doing by this point. Stealth was out the window, they needed to move and find the other agents fast.

Suddenly, a blast door slammed down right behind Callie, causing her to spin around. There was a reinforced glass window which she could see through, allowing her to make eye-contact with Marie, who looked as alarmed as she was. “Seriously?!”

Welcome, Agents 1 & 2, I was hoping you’d turn up. I can’t see you, but my sensors detected your arrival. The General will be there to apprehend you shortly,” gloated a male voice over the base’s PA system - Gate, presumably. “Oh, and don’t think about trying to retreat. I’ve already locked out the way you came in.”

What a smarmy jerk,” Marie frowned, as she tried to blast the door with an energy charged shot. It made a dent, but little else. “Dang, these doors are energy-resistant. It’ll take too long to try and break through. I’ll find another way around, you keep going!”

Roger that, stay safe, Cous!” Callie turned back around, and started speeding along the corridor.

Soon, she began hearing chatter behind another blast door up ahead of her.

What do you mean ‘we have a spy with weird powers in our ranks?!’ I don’t care who or what she is, I want her captured as well, understand?!”

Callie peeked through the window, and her heart stopped for just a moment as she recognised the Octoling on the other side, turned away from the door. “Ferham?”

Ferham froze at the sound of her voice, and turned towards the window, making eye contact with Callie. Then her expression changed, forming a familiar seductive smirk, with an edge of anger to it this time. “Hello, Miss Cuttlefish. Fancy meeting you here like this.”

Oh, great, Ferham’s there too,” Nana frowned, as the name came up on the audio feed. “Guess Gate called in backup in advance. She’s gonna be tough to deal with.”

Marina winced, “and she looks even scarier than last time I saw her…”

Pearl blinked, now officially being lost. “Sorry, uh, who’s this Ferham chick? And why does she look like she’s into Callie?”

Pallette coughed. “Ooooooh boy that’s a big can of worms. Where do we even begin…”

She’s an Octarian general. One of the strongest Octarian fighters left,” Layer explained. “She’s… Also Callie’s ex-girlfriend.”

Pearl’s jaw dropped. And since Marina’s and Ciel’s dropped too, apparently that was news to them as well. “EXCUSE ME?!”

DJ Octavio coughed, looking rather flustered, crossing his arms as usual. “I assigned her as sort of Callie’s handler while she was on our side, so I wouldn’t be baby-sitting her all the time. Turns out they got really into each other during that time.

I guess they broke up when Callie’s head got fixed, then?” Pearl asked.

Alia sighed. “It’s… More complicated than that…”

I also wanna know who the shapeshifting broad is,” Pearl said, seeing the ‘spy’ walk away in Artemis’ camera view. “Seriously, what’s her deal?”

So it is her after all, then…”

Pearl blinked, turning to Dr. Light, who looked like he had seen a ghost. “Doc?”

You know somethin’ we don’t, Thomas?” Cap’n Cuttlefish asked, glancing at him.

Looks like an explanation is in order, then,” Dr. Light frowned. “But why is she there? And why now?

Callie gulped. That was a very scary look. “H-Hey, Ferham… This wasn’t how I was hoping to meet up again.”

Yeah, I imagine you were hoping to avoid my wrath, traitor,” Ferham snarled, pulling on her ink whip. “Gate, open the door at my position.”

No can do, General. It seems closing it so quickly jammed it. I did warn you overloading the doors would be a problem. You’re going to have to get to her the old-fashioned way.”

Fine, whatever. Go around, and capture her! Now!” Ferham snapped to her troops, who saluted and started going around.

What?! I was looking for you after the ‘concert’, and couldn’t find you!” Callie protested. “I wanted you to come to Inkopolis with me!”

Ferham looked like her breath caught for a moment, but she glared at Callie, staring daggers. “I have your fellow Agents to capture. I’ll deal with you later, Callie.” She then stormed off, heading deeper into the base.

She should’ve known. Ferham was a very prideful woman. Callie grit her teeth, and started dashing down the only route available to her.

Still, if Ferham was here… This was a big problem. There was no way the Agents would stand a chance against her while stuck in swim form…

X examined the main entryway to the base. It was a fairly standard metallic gateway rather than a kettle, and it was locked tight. “We’ll need to bust in somehow…”

Stand back,” Ballade requested. X did so, and he activated Power Gear, unleashing a huge Ballade Cracker that blew the gateway to bits, before he deactivated the gear. “There. That’s our way in.”

Zero grinned, “awesome, I was gonna get bored if opening that door took too long.”

Seems we missed the fighting,” Enker grumbled as he and Buster Rod G teleported in. “At least we’ll still find some resistance insid-”

Suddenly, a wave of energy washed over the group of robots. X gasped, falling onto one knee as his energy levels plummeted. “Oh, you’ve gotta be kidding me…”

Judging by the reactions of his allies, they were feeling similar effects. Buster Rod G grit his teeth, “looks like this experiment can also weaken robots, too…”

Mega Water S nodded, “by my estimate, we’re now as vulnerable to ink as our organic allies. That’s not good.”

We’re screwed if we go in guns blazin’, then,” Punk groaned. “What’s the plan?”

X sighed, checking his buster. Dang, the charge function was disabled. “Hyper Storm H, stay out here and guard the door, but don’t be afraid to teleport out if things get hairy. Enker, can you still use your Mirror Buster?”

Hyper Storm H grunted, “whatever you say, Boss. I wouldn’t be able to fit in ‘dere anyway.”

Enker nodded, “yes, it should still work against ink as well. You want me to act as front-line defence?”

If you’d please. Everyone try and focus on long-range attacks, and move methodically,” X said with a nod, as he stepped into the doorway. “Let’s go.”

Iris groaned as the energy wave washed over her again. This time it wasn’t nearly as bad, but it was still unpleasant. “Gate’s going to keep firing that thing…”

Karlene, however, looked much worse for wear. Iris wasn’t sure why, she felt relatively fine. “What is he using to power it? We didn’t even see any Zapfish…”

The pair had gone up a level, figuring that the others would be able to meet up with them halfway. Though they were still trying to either ambush or avoid incoming adversaries - and they had noticed a large number of troops heading towards the direction of both the main entrance and their original entryway.

We need to find someplace away from the patrols, which I am sure the others will go as well,” Iris advised. She noticed Karlene was barely moving. “Agent 9?”

How are you moving? I feel like that wave hit me like a truck,” Karlene groaned, as she struggled to move. “I’m gonna be out of action for a minute or two every time that hits, I think…”

I don’t know… It’s like something else absorbed most of the energy,” Iris said, looking at Yamato. Did… Did the sword do that?

Doesn’t matter, at least one of us isn’t completely useless when it hits. But yeah, good idea. Let’s move,” Karlene said, when she finally was able to move again.

Iris suddenly heard the sounds of footsteps, and immediately swam around the corner away from the sounds, “incoming!”

Karlene nodded, moved to the opposite corner, and they waited in ambush

Orion’s breath caught as he saw two familiar forms coming around the corner in the corridor ahead of them. “Agent 7, 10!” Turns out going in the direction Orion remembered Axl and Hinata going was the right call after all.

Axl laughed as he and Hinata swam over to them - he had his Dualies in makeshift ink hands, and Hinata was dragging around her Splatling. “Okay, looks like we got lucky! Any sign of the others?”

Negative,” Liam said, scanning their environment, “no time to talk, we need to-”

Another wave of energy surged over them, and they all screamed in pain at around the same time. Orion felt like he was gonna pass out again - the only reason he didn’t was because his body was slightly more acclimated this time. But it felt like the effect on his body had been reset. But what’s worse, his body could barely move. “Ugh…”

Feels like going to the dentist but so, so much worssssseeeee!” Hinata whined as she went limp.

Orion struggled to regain a grip on his Charger, and he felt a wave of panic going through him when he heard the sounds of footsteps headed their way from both sides. “Carp…”

You take that side, I’ll take this one,” Liam groaned, able to move again faster than the other, headed back the way they had come.

Orion aimed over Axl and Hinata. He couldn’t let the enemy capture them while they were sitting ducks. Not like this.

When the first Octoling rounded the corner, Orion loosed the trigger.

Splat. Right on target.

He glanced back over towards Liam while charging the next shot - Liam ambushed the other group with a leaping slash, cutting through another Octoling. The Cypher somehow shot out an energy blade, cutting through another Octoling and an Octotrooper.

Orion focused on what was in front of him, and fired at the Octotrooper that went around the corner, splatting him as well. However, an Octoling with Dualies dashed around the corner, trying to close in on Orion-

Oh no you don’t,” Axl groaned as he lifted his Dualies, firing away and splatting him before the enemy realised that Axl was aiming for him.

Hinata also struggled to move, but she wound up the Splatling and let loose, splatting two more Octolings that tried to come around the corner. “Heh… Don’t underestimate us…”

Orion spun around as he charged, and saw Liam being pinned down by two more Octolings.

Unfortunately for them? They were both lined up in Orion’s sightline, and both got splatted in one go.

Thanks, 6,” Liam groaned, “okay, that should be it…”

Nice shooting, 6,” Axl laughed, as he hugged Orion from behind.

It felt weird, hugging with their squishier bodies, but Orion could help but help but hug him back. “Thanks.”

Aw, that’s cute,” Hinata giggled.

Alright, enough celebrating, we need to go find the others,” Liam said as he swam over. “Stick together, let 6 and 10 cover our sightlines, and try to ambush enemies before they ambush us. Got it?”

You got it, Boss,” Axl nodded.

Orion took a deep breath. They had a long way to go before they were out of this mess.

Ethan and Ayane had managed to get the black band around the former’s body, and had managed to use the security console to lock the door, while would allow them to keep intruders out of the room until they were ready to move out.

And then the energy wave washed over Ethan’s body. He braced himself, but only felt a slight tingle. Ayane, on the other hand, was groaning in pain, and the Octoling who had been wearing the band was now suffering the same forced transformation effects as the Agents, screaming in agony as she transformed.

Ethan sighed with some relief. “Looks like your theory was right, 4. I don’t feel any different.”

Good for you…” Ayane groaned, “damn it, looks like repeat bursts have a stun effect. And we don’t know how long the effect lasts to begin with.”

We can’t just stay holed up in here, we need to move and find the juniors… And maybe grab another band or two from any Octolings we come across.”

Easier said than done, but yeah, I agree. Just give me a minute to recover…”

Marie was doing just fine by herself. These corridors made sniping incoming enemies quite easy, and any other Charger users weren’t skilled enough to get a shot off before she could.

She was winding around closed blast doors and managed to get down to the second level, but that’s when the second energy wave struck. She doubled over, feeling her body bubble with ink as it tingled all over. She noticed a nearby supply closet, rushed inside, and closed the door.

However, she didn’t lose consciousness when she transformed, instead merely being stuck in squid form. Looks like the Hero Suit’s energy protection did something right, at least.

She pulled out her Charger, pointed at the door while charging up, and waited. Whatever was keeping her locked in this form, however, felt loose. She tried focusing on dislodging it.

It took a few minutes and some effort, but soon, she was able to change back. “Okay, good. Hopefully Callie wasn’t exposed when-”

Suddenly, the door opened, and she swung the Charger up towards whoever was there. BANG.

Oooh, you’re fast, but not fast enough, Miss Cuttlefish,” said the green-haired Inkling woman wearing the Octoling armour set, who had pushed the barrel just out of the way. How on Earth did she do that so quickly?! “And you’re not affected like the others are. Is that a brand new battle armour I see?”

Who the shell are you?” Marie asked warily, backing up quickly against the shelves.

I’m not your enemy, but I wouldn’t say I’m a friend, either,” said the Inkling, as she closed in on her, closing the door behind her. She licked her lips. “And… I need a recharge.”

Marie grit her teeth, shoving the barrel against her belly, “answer my damn question.”

You're so cute, Marie. I love how you get all worked up,” the girl grinned. “This is going to be fun.

Some might figure out who this mystery woman is through the few hints, but I tried to keep it relatively subtle. Also, you know, digging more into this little "Capcom expanded universe" I'm building.

0