Chapter 12 : Unintentional Provocation
192 0 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Back to the current event….

 

 

“Can I borrow some money from you?”

 

 

Taiyang now stood before Wang Hua, a smile on his face. Wang Hua, on the other hand, stared at him in utter bewilderment, her mouth hanging open.

 

 

Seconds went by, but neither showed any change in their expressions.

 

 

The stare-off lasted a few seconds before an uncomfortable cough broke it.

 

 

“Coughs... Is this an acquaintance of yours, Disciple Hua?”

 

 

“Ahh n-no…yes, I mean, we have met each other once before, but I don’t know him.” 

 

 

Wang Hua snapped out of her stunned stupor and hurriedly replied, bowing her head toward Elder Fei. 

 

 

“I see, then who is this young man?” Elder Fei asked with curiosity as he glanced at the ordinary-looking young man before him. 

 

 

He is a mortal?

 

 

Wang Fei felt surprised after scanning Taiyang’s body. He tried looking for any sign of cultivation, but the young man clearly had no spiritual essence. It meant he was a mortal, or the latter’s cultivation was higher than his own. 

 

 

He did not even consider the second possibility even for a second. 

 

 

A 17-18-year-old boy with a cultivation surpassing Late Immortal Realm? I must be going senile. 

He laughed inwardly. 

 

 

“So, do you have any silver taels? I just need 1600 silver taels to pay for something. I will pay you back double, I promise.”

 

 

Taiyang followed up with another question, diverting Wang Hua’s attention, who did not know what to make of his request. 

 

 

“What do you mean? Why would I give you money anyway?!” 

 

She spoke in a tone that was half incensed and half embarrassed. She didn’t even know him, yet the man had the galls to ask her for money in front of all these esteemed characters. 

 

 

The only reason she wasn’t ignoring him was because she didn’t have any other choice. 

 

 

Taiyang tilted his head. “Hmm, because I am asking for it…? Also, I will return it to you soon.”

 

 

Wang Hua nearly face-palmed herself. She couldn’t believe it; this guy genuinely thought there was nothing wrong with asking a stranger for money. 

 

At least he is being polite about it.

 

 

 

“Why are you not replying? Do you not have any money, too?”

Taiyang asked, bumping his fist against his palm as the realization hit him.

 

 

 

“Ah, we are in the same boat then! It seems like I am also broke like you. I am sorry for bothering you then,” Taiyang said with a sympathetic smile, utterly oblivious to Wang Hua’s face turning a bright shade of red, resembling a scarlet autumn leaf.

 

 

 

“I AM NOT BROKE!!” Wang Hua squealed, shakily pointing her fingers at Taiyiang. She hurriedly covered her mouth, realizing how unladylike she sounded, as she noticed everyone looking at them in surprise.

 

 

 

“Please forgive me, seniors,” she said with embarrassment, lowering her head and wishing she could bury it in a hole.

 

 

 

Ughhh, it’s all your fault!

 

 

She glared daggers at Taiyang out of the corner of her eyes. She didn’t understand why this man kept trying to embarrass her every time they met. 

 

 

 

“Young man, it is best you stop bothering the young niece here. If you want to beg, then go do it somewhere else,” a voice filled with arrogance interrupted, capturing everyone’s attention. Elder Deming, who had been observing Taiyang moments earlier, stepped forward with a visible expression of haughtiness on his face.

 

 

 

Unlike before, his tone was anything but polite. The way he looked at Taiyang suggested he regarded him as nothing more than an insignificant ant, which didn’t surprise Elder Fei and Fairy Ming at all. Those acquainted with him knew that this was the real face of the man called Long Deming. Aside from the members of his own family and fellow Immortal cultivators, he didn’t put anyone else in his eyes.

 

 

 

Beg? Who is begging? 

 

 

Surprised, Taiyang turned to face the Elder... or rather, he looked down at the latter. It was not his intention but rather the lack of alternatives. Standing at six feet tall, the young Taiyang appeared to loom over Elder Deming, who stood at a height of five-foot-five inches.

 

 

 

If this wasn’t bad enough, the first words that came out of his mouth were: “And who are you?” 

 

 

 

The air grew heavy with a fearful silence as if time had ceased to move.

 

 

 

The complacent smile on Elder Deming’s lips twitched imperceptibly. 

 

 

This young man...

 

 

Elder Fei looked at the young man in utter shock. 

 

 

 

Ha ha ha, I don’t know him...please don’t look over here. 

 

 

Wang Hua backed away slowly until she stood right behind Elder Fei, trying her best to show she was not involved with Taiyang as she pretended to watch the blue sky. 

 

 

 

Oh my...how audacious. 

 

 

Fairy Ming narrowed her eyes, looking at Taiyang with interest. Not every day would you get to see an ordinary mortal not bow his head in front of an Immortal expert. 

 

 

“Watch your mouth! How dare you question our ancestor like that?!” 

 

One of the disciples in Elder Deming’s entourage shouted, glowering at Taiyang furiously.

 

 

 

“Ancestor, please allow me to teach this little maggot a lesson.” 

 

Another disciple yelled furiously. 

 

 

 

Huh? Why are they so angry? I was just asking for his name ….

 

 

Taiyang frowned, watching in confused silence as the disciples glared at him angrily. 

 

 

 

“Pipe down!” Finally, Elder Deming hushed the rowdy disciples before turning to Taiyang with a smile that barely concealed his rage, his voice wavering. “It seems we have a case of a newborn calf not fearing the tiger. Scram while you can, brat. I'll be generous for once and spare your life.” 

 

 

Long Deming didn’t want others to have the impression that he was bullying a mortal. If there were no spectators, he would have killed this fool with a snap of his fingers. 

 

 

Everyone watched with rapt attention. It was a miracle that the Elder had decided to spare the mortal’s life. 

 

 

Curiosity filled the onlookers as they sought Taiyang, eager to witness his response.

 

 

Would he fall to his knees, expressing gratitude for the Elder’s mercy? Or would he flee, consumed by fear?

 

 

 

However...

 

 

“Hey, why are you hiding here? What if I wanted to sell something? Do you know happen to know anyone who would buy it? Then I wouldn’t even have to borrow money from you!” 

 

 

...Taiyang was nowhere near Elder Deming. They were stunned when they realized Taiyang hadn’t paid any attention to Elder Denming’s warning. Instead, he stood beside Elder Fei, talking to Wang Hua. Wang Hua, apparently seeking protection (from heaven knows what), clung to Wang Fei’s cloak while hiding behind him. 

 

 

“No, I don’t know anyone like that! Go away!” Wang Hua spoke in a tearful tone. 

 

 

It’s one thing to enrage an elder of the Long House, but why must you also drag me into this? 

 

 

She couldn’t comprehend why he persisted in approaching her with all sorts of peculiar requests, despite her clear indication that she wanted nothing to do with him.

 

 

“Ah, what a shame. I—” Taiyang’s sentence was abruptly interrupted by an enraged roar.

 

 

“YOU DARE, JUNIOR!” 

 

 

Taiyang turned to see the angry Elder Deming levitating in front of him, with red veins popping on his forehead. 

 

 

Oddly enough, despite his elevated position a few inches above the ground, the Elder still appeared shorter than Taiyang. 

 

 

Ugh...what is wrong with this old man? 

 

 

“What now, old man?” Taiyang exclaimed in an exasperated tone.

 

 

Once more, a profound silence of astonishment descended.

 

 

“Old...? What did you call me?” Long Deming repeated. 

 

 

Judging solely by appearances, Long Deming seemed like a well-groomed man in his early forties, despite his actual age of over 900 years.

 

 

Upon attaining immortality, individuals had the ability to slow down the visible effects of aging significantly. Many even opted to modify their appearance to appear younger.

 

 

Long Deming was no exception to this practice. In fact, he was particularly conscious of his looks and how others perceived him.

 

 

Taiyang, however, possessed the power to discern the density of an individual’s bones, allowing him to estimate their actual age.

 

 

“Yes, I called you an old man,” Taiyang confessed. 

 

 

Do you have a death wish?! Please stop enraging him!  

 

 

Everyone in the audience shared the same feelings. 

 

 

“Y-you...” Long Deming’s eyes burned with fury as he glared at Taiyang, his chest rising and falling rapidly. 

 

 

"You are courting death!"

 

 

"Stop!" Realizing that Long Deming was about to attack, Elder Fei attempted to halt him, but it was already too late.

 

 

 

The Long ancestor casually extended an open palm toward Taiyang. The assault conjured a blurry image resembling that of a majestic dragon. With an awe-inspiring roar, the dragon rushed toward Taiyang like a tempest tearing through the mortal realm. 

Everyone watched in horror as Taiyang stood defenseless in the wake of the brutal assault. The dragon's jaws opened wide, engulfing Taiyang's body entirely, before detonating with a deafening blast that sent unfortunate bystanders hurtling through the air.

 

 

 

I-is it over? 

 

 

One of the disciples from the Wang House struggled to open his eyes. After a few agonizing seconds, the harrowing scene of carnage unfolded before him.

 

 

The ground bore the scars of destruction, a substantial chunk obliterated, and a thick cloud of concrete dust obstructed his view. In the distance, groans of pain echoed, evidence of the aftermath of such a devastating attack. The only reason he and his fellow disciples were still standing was that Elder Fei's formidable shield had shielded them from the full brunt of the attack.

 

 

 So this is the result of a casual attack from an Immortal cultivator?

 

A cold shiver ran down his spine. 

 

 

"Ancestor...is he dead?" He heard one of his junior brothers ask in a fearful tone.

 

 

There was no doubt about the identity of 'he' in that question, as there was only one person he could be referring to.

 

 

"What kind of question is that? That fool's body must have been torn to shreds," he muttered under his breath.

 

 

He waited for their ancestor to respond in the same manner, but no such answer was uttered. Seconds went by, but the awkward silence remained. 

 

 

Confused, he sought the presence of the person who had protected them, one of the mighty pillars of his family. 

 

 

Yet, he soon regretted doing that...

 

 

What the?!

 

 

...because what he witnessed was beyond belief. Elder Fei, renowned as one of the strongest individuals in the entire Immortal Realm, stood frozen like a statue. Yes, this man who would remain unperturbed even if the heavens themselves were to collapse,  now displayed not even the slightest hint of movement as he attentively gazed into the dust cloud in front of him. 

 

 

Shocked, the disciple decided to wait for the dust down so he could understand the reason behind the Elder's astonishment. 

 

 

A minute later, the dust had settled to reveal gory pieces of Taiyang's body. 

 

 

—Or at least that's what the disciple had expected to witness.

 

 

But the reality couldn't have been more different from his expectation.

 

 

What in the world...?

 

 

  1. Newborn calves are not afraid of tigers: often used to describe young people who are not afraid of danger (less considerate) and are often adventurous and daring. 

 

Written by: Aether

Edited by: Aether (editor's been afk, so I've decided to do it myself lol. Let me know if you spot any errors, tho. )

3