(Part 1) Chapter 1: That Stereotypical Getting Ready Scene
39 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Music, an orchestra.

You know you wouldn’t expect it from a futuristic racing game. I mean really, I would expect some hardcore sci-fi, electro kind of music. It’s badass though, I mean who doesn’t love an orchestra?

Imagine your life is on the line and $100 is on the table. This is the last lap, it’s just you and some other guy, no gimmicks, like power-ups or cheats. Just raw talent and luck determine the race. You inch closer and closer to the finish line. It’s too close for comfort, you don’t know if you’re gonna win, but then the other guy fucks up the last turn. Really? Someone who can’t drift at this rank? Must’ve been boosted, but who gets boosted that much? This is Masters…

Actually…

I wonder how much you could charge for that?

Back to the race- You pass the finish line. It’s not as exciting since, you know, but a win’s a win. As soon as the car touches the line, the winning theme blasts. I swear when those strings kick in it’s like you just won the lottery or something, it’s epic. It’s like Beethoven’s 35th symphony.

I could listen to it for hours- in fact, it feels like I just did that…

Footsteps. Left, right, left-

They’re obnoxiously heavy like they come from a certain woman I know… Wait, where even am I? I feel a warm sensation on my skin. Not anything creepy, but like the sun.

The sun?

Right, left, right- The steps are getting closer.

A woman I know? Right, since birth-

Mom.
Mom?
Mom?!
Class- Holy shi-

My room door creaks, the sounds of death.

I’m awake- I’m awake- I lunge from the couch, sprint to the computer. Password, Chrome, YouTube, uh- okay anything, I need something. Of course, I’ve been up for hours. Concentrate- W-Wooo-Workout? Yes, a workout video. Look at these muscles, of course, I work out. Okay, play, get into position. Squats.

The door opens.

She’s behind me. Why does the air feel cold? There’s no way she knows, there’s no super mom bullshit intuition, unless- She’s reading my mind? I don’t feel magic, but-No, calm down. The longer you wait, the more suspicious it is.

I turn around and there she is, leaning against the doorframe. Not saying a word. She points to her right, to the TV. The TV?

It’s. Still. On. That totally epic soundtrack playing to my failure.

“Uuuuh-“ I let out.

“Hurry the hell up and get ready for class.” She cuts me off.

I stare at her, there’s no getting out of this.

“Now.” The door shuts.

How did I forget the TV?! I flop back on the couch, my head against the wall. The TV, man this damn TV…

Listen, I know, how can my mom still cause me this much stress? I’m almost 23, but I stay here for free, no work, no bills, things could be much worse for me if I get on her bad side.

Well, there’s no use sitting around anymore. Time to get ready…

I make my way to the bathroom, barely. I don’t even know when I fell asleep but I can feel it. It’s hard functioning on no sleep unless
there’s something to be excited for, like a tourney. In the bathroom, I make a stop at the shower, sliding down to the floor, sitting there. Then the toilet, sitting there. Then the sink, staring at my reflection. The chili stains and the other mysterious stains on my shirt-which I can only hope isn’t anything-

Never mind.

The messy ponytail, the eye bags. You know what this is the look of a champion, I am $100 richer after all. Yeah, a champion…



 

Man, I don’t want to get ready…

My head’s against the shower wall, every time the water cools I use a spell to heat it back up. Nothing’s better than a burning hot shower. Makes me feel alive.

I really really don’t wanna go…

You probably think I’m overreacting, okay but- College is really really boring. I have much grander dreams of playing on the world
stage. I’m currently ranked #1 on the Union of Fables leaderboards, so obviously, this is bound to happen one day. You know what the 1st place prize is? 1 mil. You know what you can do with 1 mil? Get an even better computer-and other stuff, of course. Sitting through class is not going to get me any closer to my dream. Do I really need to know something about the mage-something-

Ding.
Ding. Ding. Ding. Ding.

Ah, the lovely sound of phone notifications. My time with my personal lava hot spring must come to an end. Now let’s see what’s so important.

Oh how the mighty have fallen😀😀
- Old.example

Bruuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuh
- Bakedalaska4.20

@fayeted @fayeted @fayeted
- saidhaisd67879

What- The leaderboards.

#10 fishsticks
#9 error404
#8 Behind_You
#7 4U8768768
#6 Whaa??
#5 HiDare453
#4 here2win
#3 ionlyplayflame
#2 fayetd
#1 insertnamehere

 


Me and the computer, me and the computer- I’m back in my room staring at this wonderful machine.

Just one game, I have time, right? I’ve been #1 for 10 years. 10 years. Who even is this guy? There has an explanation, yeah, that’s right-

Riiiiiinnnngggggggggg
8:35

And class starts in an hour.

Shit!

Okay calm down- Think rationally, can’t skip school. An early death is not what I want. Okay- Okay- The library? Maybe those computers
are good enough? Yeah, okay.

 


Downstairs.

How can I make my escape as easy as possible?

There’s the living room door. Open it up, oh so quietly, grab my shoes, and go.

Quietly, quietly, the door opens. My hands make contact with the shoes. Success?

Then.

Of course.

The door swings open, wind hitting my face. I lose all control of my body as I’m pulled to my dear mother.

There she stands, a smile on her face but not a good one.

“Don’t you clean up so nicely?” She says.

With a snap of her finger, a lint roller appears and starts cleaning my hoodie.

I’m going back to my phone.

“This semester you’ll try to apply yourself more. Make some actual friends instead of talking to those strange internet people, and participate in some extracurriculars. Time to start thinking about life after college, you know?”



Ding. Ding. Ding. Ding.

@fayeted 1v1??
- F4rtm0nst3r

The start of a new era boys
- ridicmedic

This lint roller is getting aggressive… Wait, is this thing hitting me?

“Yes, you will make new friends, participate in extracurriculars, and become a more well-rounded student or I will shove the wasted tuition money so far up your-”

“Mom!” I stop her from continuing- Jesus.

“What? I was going to say nose.” She says.

Yeah, right.

“I only want what’s best for you Ester. Sometimes parents get a bit spirited about that. I want you to have a better life than what we had.” Wasn’t expecting her change of attitude. It’s making me feel guilty? Almost makes me want to actually try…

Uggh mom powers.

“Right, honey?”

“Mhmm, that’s nice.” Dad, as always, is reading a newspaper.

“That man and his newspaper-” She says breaking that sweetness she had before.

“Just like me and a keyboard.” Now she’s shooting me a look. Maybe I shouldn’t have said that?



“Would you look at the time?” She’s pushing me out the front door, when did she get so strong?

“Remember aim for a better year!” She says so cheery, slamming the door behind me.

Ew.

I need a good tune, something that’s gonna get me through this day.

Light of Dawn (Union of Fables: Official Soundtrack)
> Play

Here goes.

0