Chapter 1: Wake Up And Look Around
171 0 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

 

When Shun Su opened his eyes again,it wasn't to an ambulance hood,nor a hospital ceiling,it wasn't even to his own bedroom. No,what he saw was,dirt. Dirt everywhere. The ceiling he saw from the 'bed' he laid on was so filthy he couldn't even make out the original color. The bed was actually a wood frame with a blanket laid on top,he wasn't even sure if the thing his head rested on could be considered a pillow,it felt like wood,sadly after checking Sun Su could confirm it was indeed wood.

When he sat up,his entire body ached,everything was numb,it honestly felt like he hadn't moved in a few years. The place he was in had a little window of sorts,the sunlight pouring in made the dirtiness of the place much more apparent.

After inspecting himself Shun Su could affirm he had no injuries,it was like the accident never happened and him Jun Bai were still fighti-

He shot off the bed to look around for his buddy, because his body was still numb when he shot forward he only crashed onto the ground. His legs were so weak that he couldn't even properly pick himself up again. And it seemed that the crash had made a lot of noise,as in the next moment footsteps were rushing towards the little room.

" Xiao Su?! Xiao Su?! Hold on,Granny is coming! " Shun Su was a bit confused. Although his grandma was still alive,her voice and demeanor were quite different. For one thing,she wouldn't make her presence known like this and just barge in.

He did his best to claw his way back onto the bed,his arms were quite weak as well though so it didn't do much. 

In the next moment a little old lady walked in,her small face wrinkled in concern.

" Oh good heavens child,have you fallen again? This old lady can't lift you as easy now,be careful ah. "

With that the woman approached him,although she did seem quite aged,she was still pretty sturdy,enough to help Shun Su back up. And although he was relieved,there was other problem,he really,really had to pee...

His throat was so dry he wasn't sure if words would come out even if he tried to speak, " G- Granny.. "

That was all he managed to get out,his throat as well felt like it hadn't been used in years. 

But once he said that one word,the old lady cried out in surprise. Her aged hands grasping his own. Sparkling tears rushing to her kind eyes,she spoke delicately. 

" Xiao Su,you spoke just now..don't tell me you've recovered?! " the happiness in her voice couldn't be concealed,as well as the large smile painting her dainty face. 

Even though Shun Su wished to converse more,his throat really was too dry to say anything else..

He tried once more,taking in huge gulps of air as he did so, " Wat..water, " the grandma didn't even hide her joy,rushing up while happily crying and laughing,she ran out of the room and returned a moment later with a cup brimming with water. Since he could barely move,Granny had to help him sip the water,luckily it seemed she was experienced and he didn't die from choking.

After drinking his throat felt much better,and after he coughed a couple of times he felt ready to speak. Though his voice was still a little raspy,it was much better sounding now.

" Where am I? " 

The most important thing to know right now was where he was,maybe his phone was nearby and he could come have his parents pick him up. He hoped this area got reception,otherwise he really didn't know what he'd do...

Granny seemed happy at him just speaking and kept giving him praises for using his voice. Shun Su was a bit embarrassed by this,it truly felt he was a child just learning to talk.

" Xiao Su you've been out of it so long,it's natural to forget some things. We're home right now,Granny is having a hard time cleaning up these days... You must be hungry right? I didn't feed you yet,Granny with be right back,just rest a bit more and try to recall things. " 

Shun Su didn't have much of a choice but to lie back as she'd already left before he could protest. Although he was a bit hungry,he more than anything had to use the bathroom. Even the little guy downtown felt numb...

While Granny was gone he practiced moving,although he didn't have full control he could at least move his arms freely now. His legs were a bit more stiff,he'd go walk after eating and chatting with the granny. While he was regaining control,he noticed his school uniform had been swapped out to some dirty rags.

Instead of feeling immediate alarm at the fact that this old lady or someone else had changed him,he instead felt pity for the old woman. Her house was so run down,and since said she was the one cleaning,that meant she didn't have children to take care of her in her old age. Her life was already this bad but she took in Shun Su and helped him recover...

His mind was set to help her in return after he went home. Maybe he could convince his parents to buy her a new home at the very least,they were so well off,a small expense such as that shouldn't be any trouble at all.

Granny had returned with a bowl of steaming congee,although it was plain,the rice was perfectly cooked and gave one a healing flavor. Shun Su wasn't mad at the plainness at all,although it was bland,this woman was poor,getting rice was probably difficult already,he wouldn't dare be ungrateful for her efforts.

When they'd finished eating Granny conversed with him some more,from that he learned that her only daughter had passed away. Actually Shun Su was a bit worried,the granny had referred to her daughter as his mother,but this wasn't his actual grandma ah? Maybe she wasn't as healthy as he originally thought.

He pushed away that worry to attend to more pressing matters, " Granny,I really have to use the bathroom ah..could you tell me where it is? " with a little laugh the granny helped him sit up.

He had to refuse embarrassingly as she asked if he needed help...if he had said yes his pride as a man would surely be lost.

But,once he arrived at the room,painstakingly,having to lean on both dirty walls and the little old lady,all he saw was a small screen,and behind that screen was a simple empty bucket...

Now Shun Su wasn't too bright,his brain certainly didn't work as fast as some peoples,but at the very least he knew something wasn't quite right! Even for homes rundown as this,a toilet was always present! Maybe not a bath,maybe not a sink,but there should always be a toilet ah! Still,he really couldn't hold it and had degraded himself by using the bucket,internally tears of shame were long flowing. 

No longer did that numbness wrack his body,he couldn't bring himself to worry about his body in this situation. He ran out to search around. The home was excruciatingly plain,no couch,no TV,not even a single light-bulb ah! What lit up the room instead was a small lantern of sorts,in it was a weak fire. More than that cheap little thing,it was the sunlight making anything visible.

Shun Su couldn't even look around properly as in the next minute there a series of loud bangs on the rickety wooden door of the house. Granny had rushed over looking quite anxious,Shun Su felt that he should deal with this problem as retribution for the woman's kindness. 

He went to open the door,Granny following behind while telling him to return and let her deal with the person. The cause of all the commotion was another woman,a much younger and tender looking one than Granny. Although the woman had a clear complexion and pretty features,her face was distorted by a scowl,making her original charms be clouded.

" Ai,making me wait so long,Shun Ye has no shame- eh? Boy? You've finally stopped being stupid? Great, ah! " a smile made its way onto the lady's face,her original prettiness coming to light,her hands folding as she looked past him to look at Granny.

" Shun Ye,it's good he's awake. I came over because those bastards are coming to rush you again,quickly send Xiao Su to work so they'll leave you be. Come,come,me and Yang-er will keep you company! " without a second's hesitation,the lady reached past him and pulled Granny out.

He could only watch helplessly as Granny left him to be accompanied by her friends. Even then Granny was quite concerned and kept trying to get back to him. Shun Su wasn't that shameless to let the old lady waste her entire day on him and simply told her to go enjoy and let him deal with the apparent bastards coming.

And while he felt proud of himself for standing up for the lady,he really had no idea what kind of trouble was coming. So with bated breaths he could only shut the door and go back inside while waiting for trouble to quite literally appear at his front door.

Sadly it didn't take long,the next time Shun Su opened the door,instead of another pretty lady there were a bunch of thuggish looking guys. The one in front had a wacky hairdo,braids and knots everywhere,he looked no older than twenty something and had more of playful than malicious look in his eyes.

" Granny! You've turned young- and into a man nonetheless! "

His eye twitched,was this guy making a joke,or genuinely being stupid?

" Granny's not here right now,i'm Shun Su,i'll help in her stead. "

His statement made the guy's eyes widen,a hand clapping him on the shoulder.

" Shun Su? Ah,you've been out of it for ages! Granny wouldn't even let anyone see you ah,I didn't recognize you! It's me,Lin YanSu! Come on,hope you can still cook as well as her,otherwise these guys are gonna toss you around,keke! " he didn't say a word,Lin YanSu carrying the entire conversation as they walked to some unknown place.

There were a few things that confused him. One being that,although he didn't know anyone,everyone greeted him like they'd been long lost acquaintances. Secondly,his surroundings were strange. All the houses were cheaply made,either out of wood or mud,they all looked shabby,the wildlife wasn't all too grand either. The sky though was considerably clear,which was strange because there should have been snow everywhere.

Another thing was everyone's appearance. All of them,even the neater looking ones like Lin YanSu,were wearing robes. It looked like he'd walked right into the set of a historical drama.

That's when a sudden realization hit him.

He'd slacked off and read novels enough to know what transmigration was ah! There was no other explanation. The outdated houses,clothes,and bathrooms,he'd really been reborn ah!

And after pestering Lin YanSu he'd finally gotten some answers.

" Ai,what's 'Lin YanSu this,Lin YanSu that',it really feels too strange ah! Call me Yan-ge like before and i'll tell you! " Shun Su made a face at the request. What Yan-ge? Fuck your childish nickname ah! 

But seeing as this guy was someone close to him before,and there was no one else he could really question,he had to adhere and mumble the ridiculous name.

" Well,since you don't remember,gege will help! Before,you were really lively as a kid ah,we would run all over and Granny would search for us,she sometimes even brought snacks. When we were little you used to cling to me all the time ah,my big bro would have to chase you off! Actually,once he scared you away and you didn't return for three days! Granny was really worried then,but then for some reason you returned without a scratch even livelier than before. Sometimes you would just disappear days at a time,really made everyone worried sick ah. "

There was also something else he was curious about. These guys looked like ruffians at first,but actually they're pretty decent besides their scary appearance. So why were they coming to bully the poor granny?

" Hey,hey,don't make as if we're villains ah! Granny's been working at Big Bro's place since you went stupid,how else do you think she made the money to take of you? Big Bro is actually worried about her collapsing so he sends us to bring her if she's a little late. But I guess today she was occupied about you becoming sane again. "

Well he was more or less relieved that Granny wasn't surrounded by actual bastards,after all,this was now his actual grandmother,what kind of shameless grandson wouldn't worry over their own family. Even if he didn't have any memories of the woman before this,she did care for since he woke up,the least he could do was work in her stead and let her enjoy the rest of her days carefree.

After clearing that up Lin YanSu continued to talk about his naughty child days,but what Shun Su actually needed to know was more present. Like,if he was so lively as a kid,why was he in a coma like state for so many years?

" I don't know,even when you grew up you'd wander around,you said you'd move to the capital to become a singer ah! That was really crazy, Does Xiao Su still sing? Come let your brothers hear! " 

The group of four men hollered and cheered waiting for a performance. To be honest,in the present Shun Su was quite a dedicated singer,his parents made him attend vocal lessons weekly,so by anyone's standard he was pretty good. The only problem was,he was actually really shy! He couldn't sing in front of anyone he didn't know personally,otherwise he'd become so flustered he'd start crying ah...

Seeing as he wouldn't comply those thugs left him be,Shun Su felt that they were quite polite honestly,not making him do embarrassing things,aren't they a bit too considerate for thugs?

" Come to think of it,the last time we saw you normal was..five years ago! Xiao Su is actually quite old now huh? Twenty-one and still single ah,keke! "

The group of men all laughed and teased him once more,Shun Su would've laughed normally but,seeing as before he woke up he'd found his girlfriend and best friend in such a scene...he could only swallow his tears.

And like that he was suddenly reminded of Jun Bai. Ah,his pal died trying to save him,and Shun Su only thought of him now,wasn't this a bit shameless? Actually,Shun Su didn't believe Jun Bai would be so cruel,but seeing that scene in the moment made him go crazy. Is there anyone in the world who can remain calm after feeling the slightest amount of betrayal?

Thinking on it now,he felt really bad,Jun Bai had a worse impact with the car than even he did,that guy was probably dead as well...

Shun Su's eyes then lit up. What if Jun Bai had also come with him to this time? If his buddy was here,then he really wouldn't mind living this stranger's life. Actually he hadn't even gotten to see what he looked like yet...

" Yan-ge,say is there someone by the name of Jun Bai? I recall the name but- " before he could finish a hand was slapped over his mouth. Lin YanSu looked around cautiously.

The guy gave him a harsh slap on the back that nearly made him tip over.

" A-Su,really can you not speak so lightly ah? What if someone hears you calling him so easily? Even if we say you're stupid,the emperor would surely sew your lips together if he heard you speak his name so casually ah! "

Shun Su was sure he misheard. Jun Bai? The emperor? Pah,what kind of bullshit is this?!

 

4