Summary of Book 1: Infiltration
748 0 5
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Book #1 is now available on Amazon Kindle, Print and Kindle Unlimited! To be a part of these programs, I can only have the first 10% of the book as a preview on here. If you would like to check out the full version, it can be purchased  on Amazon. 

 

If you want to keep reading, I've created a quick summary of the events of Book 1. Book 2's opening chapters also do a good job of getting you up to speed, if you prefer to try that way. Below this point, there be spoilers! 

 

The devil Malthus, now under the guise of Soren Marlowe, arrives in Iceland and meets Rose Cooper, the first human of consequence that he meets. She is a British wizard with an embarrassing secret: a completely out of control affinity for Weather Magic! Soren learns this when he tries to put the move on her and she almost completely destroys a tavern.

They are picked up in prison by Headmaster Yosuke Tachibana, the master of the Nagoya Academy of Magic in Japan. Rose was supposed to attend the school in Reykjavik, but she never attended, due to being humiliated by her talent. Tachibana enjoys hard cases, so he decided to invite the two of them to attend his school. Soren makes another attempt to romance Rose, but her out of control powers get in the way once again.

Once Soren and Rose arrive at the school, they meet four other students who will be their constant companions. Hiro Takehara is a young man with an out of control affinity like Rose. He's being romantically pursued by three young women. There's the studious and standoffish Yukiko Sato, the heir to a major manufacturing firm, Kiyo Jones, a half-American reclusive gamer girl with a talent for turning invisible, and the sister Mariko Yamada, a pacifist who refuses to learn combat magic. 

Over the course of his time at the school, Soren loses Rose's affections by chasing all of the other girls to varying degrees, though they remain friends. Mariko shuts him down quickly, while Kiyo is split between her affection for the disinterested Hiro and this exciting new foreigner who thinks she's beautiful. He steals a kiss from Yukiko, who is incensed at him stealing her first kiss. They also discover that Kiyo has been stalking them all with her invisibility powers for months, since she is too bashful to come out and say what she thinks. This causes Yukiko to cast Kiyo and Soren from her social circle, and Soren decides that the upcoming War Games are a perfect opportunity avenge themselves on her.

All the while, Soren starts to slowly realize that he does have some rather un-devilish feelings and affections for Kiyo and the rest, which makes him feel confused. Kiyo confesses to him, which comes as a surprise, especially since her reason is that he’s always the kindest to her of anyone. He’s insulted, but he ultimately decides to return her attentions. After all, an invisible girlfriend has applications at the restricted school.

He, Kiyo and Rose face off against Yukiko’s team. In the course of the battle, Yukiko leaves Kiyo in a precarious position to win the match, forcing Soren to risk his life to catch her. Because of this heroism, Soren’s team is awarded the victory for the War Game, on the basis of good sportsmanship. Yukiko is humiliated, and goes off to reconsider her actions. 

All seems well in the world, until a British teacher at the school, Maggie Edwards, drops a bombshell on Soren: she knew the real Soren Marlowe, and she knows it isn’t Malthus. She has no idea he’s a devil, but she could expose him at any time. Soren now finds himself subject to her whims, since she could expose him at any time. 

But it isn’t all bad. At least he has his Kiyo, and she has her Magpie, the pet name she gave him after realizing he was a kleptomaniac. That that’s where our story continues…

5