Prologue
1.1k 1 16
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

After Napoleon’s defeat during the Battle of Leipzig, Napoleon accepted the peace proposal offered by the Coalition called the Frankfurt Proposal in November of 1813. After the coalition force learned that the French Empire would retain its size the same as the year 1801, the proposal received a massive backlash from the other coalition state.

So a convention was held in Vienna to redraw the peace proposal. For a few months, all major powers in Europe are fighting to receive what they think are their rightful spoils except for France which has already forfeited its right due to being the loser.

After a few months, the Treaty of Vienna on the 12th of January of the year 1814 is signed with major changes in the boundaries of Europe. The primary terms agreed as such were:

  • Napoleon remains Emperor of the French and France returns to its 1791 border in addition to the regions of Belgium and Chambery, Northern Italy.
  • Duchy of Warsaw is dismantled and partitioned between Prussia and Russia, Russia would receive 90% of the land while Prussia would have the rest.
  • The Kingdom of Prussia would receive half of the lands of Saxony and most Northern German States.
  • Austrian Empire would receive the region of Lombardy and Venetia in Northern Italy and some parts of Bavaria.
  • Kingdom of Great Britain would receive half of the French colony in the Caribbean and French Guiana.
  • Sweden would regain the Swedish Pomerania.

The treaty had made Prussia, a regional power become a major world power after the war. Metternich's goals are achieved by having another great power facing the Russian Empire, sharing the pressure. Also keeping the power of the French restricted but not destroyed, enabling it to have the strength to face the British Empire. Lastly, keeping the Austrian Empire a major power with its new gain territories.

On September 3, 1830, Napoleon Bonaparte died and was succeeded by his son Napoleon II, his death sends a shockwave to Europe, and the entire French empire mourn his death while outside of France a lot of people were secretly joyous about his death.

Eighteen years after the signing of the Treaty of Vienna, war looms again across the European continent as Prussia and Russia are in conflict between their borders in the Polish region. Armed clashes and small wars have occurred at the border between the two great powers.

Then in April of 1832, a huge war broke out between the Russian Empire and the Kingdom of Prussia. In this conflict, the French, British, and the Ottomans join the Kingdom of Prussia’s side while the Austrians at the Russian’s side. In small countries like Sweden, most of the German states join the Prussian side while Spain, Norway, Denmark, the Kingdom of Sardinia, and most Italian states join the Russian side.

For seven years, the war rages throughout the entire European continent killing millions of men and women. This conflict was more terror and worse than the Napoleonic war that occurs decades prior. After the major victory of the Prussian coalition in the Battle of Silesia on the 25th of November 1839, where the Prussian coalition numbered 420,000 defeated the Russian coalition of 400,000 men, ending the war in favor of the Prussian coalition.

After the war, both sides agreed on the following terms:

  • The French Empire would receive the regions of Savoy and Nizza from the Kingdom of Sardinia.
  • The Kingdom of Great Britain would receive the entire island of Cagliari from the Kingdom of Sardinia
  • The Kingdom of Prussia would receive the Russian Polish Region, and Holstein and Schleswig from Denmark.
  • The kingdom of Sweden would receive the Oulu Region in Finland from the Russian Empire.
  • The Ottoman Empire would receive regions of Bessarabia, Edisan, and Budzhak from the Russian Empire.
  • The Russian Coalition (Russia would shoulder 67%, Austria would shoulder 28% while the rest is shoulder by its allies) would pay 15,000,000 British pounds to the Prussian Coalition (Prussia would receive 40%, France would receive 33%, Great Britain would receive 10%, Ottoman Empire would receive 10% while the rest would receive by its allies).
  • The Kingdoms of Denmark and Norway would join the Kingdom of Sweden to establish the Nordic Union.
  • The German States north of the Main River would be directly annexed by the Kingdom of Prussia and would become the Northern German Empire. Also, the region of Hesse Darmstadt north of Main River is annexed.
  • The Kingdoms of Baden, Wurttemberg, Bavaria, and Hesse Darmstadt would form the Southern German Confederation.

The terms were then immediately signed on January 2, 1840. The war of 1832-1839 is a war of large proportions. More than twice have died in this war compare to the Napoleonic wars, people are tired of fighting and even revolutions are not carried out due to people being tired of the conflict.

In this war, even if the Austrian Empire is part of the losing side, there are no territorial concessions due to the great diplomatic actions of Metternich and the Austrian government. They are only forced to pay war reparations and most battles happened in the Non-German areas of the empire while the German areas are relatively unscathed, but still, it cause untold damage to the empire and needed a few decades to rebuild.

16