Chapter 14: Beginning of the Cuban Revolution of 1897
337 1 6
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Berlin International University, German Empire

“Is this news verified?”

“Yes… your highness”

Justinian was reading the report that Count Karl had brought to him early this morning. In the reports, a two-thousand-strong Spanish army was ambushed and annihilated in an operation in Cuba. Simultaneously, rebellions and uprisings are occurring throughout the entire colony of Cuba during the ambush.

Justinian is always checking the situation in the Spanish colony of Cuba, as the Cuban war of independence would be the precursor of the series of revolutions that would peak on 1899 and even last for the next century.

The Cuban revolution started a year earlier than what is stated in the novel… a lot has changed, Justinian thought. The Cuban war of independence would occur in the middle of 1898 but instead, it happened a year earlier. This is distressing for Justinian as it might accelerate the Hungarian revolt and the Ottoman invasion of the Austrian Empire.

“Do you have any information about who is this man named Felipe de Gonzalo?” While reading the reports, Justinian had come across the name Felipe de Gonzalo as the one who leads the Cuban war of independence on the island. The man that should have led the Cuban revolution should be Jose Gomez, a prominent Cuban local politician, and colonial military official.

This means that this person, Felipe de Gonzalo, is suspicious and might be also a transmigrator. The success of the ambush is very significant on the world stage, annihilating an entire European army by a colonial rebellion is unheard off. But this success would become a domino effect and an inspiration for other revolutionaries and rebellions across the world that it is possible to defeat a European regular army.

“Your Highness. This is the documents about Felipe de Gonzalo milord.” Count Karl handover another set of documents to Crown Prince Justinian. The document that Count Karl handover to the Crown Prince is thinner than the previous document about the Cuban rebellion but still the amount of paper is a lot.

“Felipe de Gonzalo is considered the brain of the rebellion. Based on the reports, he is a wealthy Cuban landowner and a successful businessman milord.” Count Karl added.

“Hmmm…”

Justinian read the report about Felipe. In the report, he was the one who planned the entire ambush of the Spanish army. He was also the one who organized the synchronized rebellions and uprisings throughout the entire island of Cuba. Most of the weapons and ammunitions used in the rebellion are also managed and procured by Felipe. He also hired some veteran officers from other countries like the United States and British Empire to train his men.

He is considered by the intelligence report as a cunning, calculative, and cold person, but he is also a loyal, honorable and patriotic person. His faction, the Cuban Liberation Front or the CLF, is the largest and most organized of all the rebel groups in Cuba. The CLF in the intelligence report has about 10,000 members, all are armed and trained by foreign military officers.

The businesses and connections that Felipe has also have a broad and large scope mostly in the United States. He built relationships with people of high position and arms dealers in the United States, so he can easily procure resources, supplies, and weapons. He used the money and assets he gathered over the past years to raise an army from scratch.

Justinian is now convinced that Felipe is also like him, a transmigrator. His businesses are based on what would be popular in the near future, earning large profits that he can use to fund his army. Also, on how he traversed the Cuban political arena, the colonial government didn’t even suspect him of raising an army for a rebellion until he started one, surprising them.

Felipe might have used bribes and connections to be able to manage this. He needs foresight and information as to what kind of person and whether he can bribe this person because he is corrupt or build connections in regards to this person.

“Count Karl, organize a meeting with Princess Charlotte a few days from now.”

“Yes, your highness.”

Count Karl then immediately went out to go to where Princess Charlotte is staying at the university. For him, following the orders of the Crown Prince is a priority, and building a good relationship with a French Princess is always good for the Empire.

Justinian is now thinking about whether having another transmigrator is a good thing or not, but first, he wants to meet with Lin again.

** ** **

“What do you think about democracy and republics your highness?”

“It’s just a bait by the Capitalists to entice the people to create a society where they’re the only one who has the power. In short, it is the heaven for capitalists and merchants.”

Justinian and Lin are currently at one of the corner tables inside the library. They’re studying again for the incoming exam before the Christmas break. For weeks, the two of them are always together that people around them think that the two of them are in a relationship. The two of them knows also what the people are thinking about them but they’re avoiding tackling the issue that might end their friendship and the status quo.

“Ehhh… but Democracies follow the rule of the people and the majority. So democracies and republics can hear and answer the needs and concerns of most of the people. Also, the officials are voted and chosen by the people, so the people can choose who can lead the country better and make it more developed and progressive.”

“I don’t have much opinion regarding democracies for there are still few republic and democratic countries. It is still also too young to be judged whether it would last for hundreds of years.”

“Ehhhh… you’re just biased because you are also a noble, and a high noble to that. For us commoners and ordinary people, it is the type of government and society where everyone can be equal and free.”

Justinian wants to comment on what he really thoughts about democracy, especially on what he experienced in his previous life. He remembers how democracy failed its destruction.

He can still clearly remember the details of what happened to the world during the 22nd century. Democracy is plagued by corrupt officials and capitalists. Capitalists exploited the people and avoid taxes. Corrupt officials received bribes from these capitalists and neglect the need of the people. The world then approached slowly to destruction and anarchy, the nature and water are no more, global warming, pollution, and weak governance.

Democracy also paved the way for too much rights to the people that it becomes absurd. People become too much dependent on their rights that they forgot their responsibilities as human beings. The masses can also be easily enticed and brainwashed by propaganda and media.

Capitalists also used the laws and constitutions that Democratic and republic countries have to find loopholes and take advantage of. Where a lot of people are neglected due to officials receiving favors and bribes from capitalists like having laws that lower corporate taxes.

The environment was also been neglected by the government and if there are any laws that would be good for the environment, they can block and delay the law, and bribes government officials so it wouldn’t get enough support and would not be passed. He can clearly remember the dark skies filled with smog, carbon dioxide, and other harmful chemicals filled the air, making oxygen a commodity. Clean water also become expensive as bodies of water are already contaminated and not safe anymore.

People in that generation can only dream of forests and waterfalls, for the majority of the people are living underground and inside large structures and buildings, hiding from the deadly rays of the sun. The world has become a barren place.

Justinian thought that not everything may be due to the weakness of democracy and might be due to human activities and greediness, that no matter what type of government is there, humans would always find a way to exploit the system. But for him, it is the democratic system that gives power to Capitalists who are the main reason for destroying the world and there is no opposing faction that can stop and balance the power of the Capitalists. The democratic system is also slowed due to too much political infighting between parties and almost everything becomes related to politics.

“Your highness? hey… Justinian? What are you thinking that you are in a daze?”

“Ahhh… I’m sorry I just remember something that happened in the past.”

“Ehhhh… share share share share… Just joking teehee”

Lin caught Justinian staring in a daze. After she said that Justinian may be biased, Justinian become silent and later just keep staring at one empty corner in the library. Lin let Justinian stay in that position but she later dispelled Justinian’s daze by calling his name. She wants to ask what Justinian is thinking but she stopped herself from doing so. She thought that someday Justinian would share what he is thinking someday.

Lin and Justinian continue talking about other topics while they’re studying. Time passed slowly and it is time for Lin to go home. Both of them stand up, return the books on the shelf, and walk towards the exit of the library. Both are silent and enjoy this kind of peaceful and silent moment of them together.

“You want to come with me to Austria during the Christmas holiday?”

“Huh?”

“You can bring your family too.”

Justinian breaks the ice and asks Lin to come with him to Austria during the Christmas holiday.  Lin is shocked by the unexpected offer that Justinian is saying. A high noble, a crown prince to boot, inviting a commoner to the imperial palace is unprecedented. Such actions may cause trouble and dissatisfaction to the nobles not only in Austria but in other kingdoms and states.

“I won’t dare your highness. It is already my honor to be your friend. I don’t want to impose more on your kindness.”

Lin tries to dissuade Justinian to invite her to Austria. It would become a very big issue and just being the Crown Prince’s friend is an issue already and adding more would further enlarge the issue. She knows that the Crown Prince hanging out with her already tarnish and lowers the reputation of the Crown Prince in the noble circle. She knows that her existence is already troublesome for the Crown Prince, she can already observe that Count Karl is seeing her as someone that can bring trouble to his liege.

“I want to repay your family’s kindness towards me. I also want to meet your father once again. Please Lin.”

Justinian is now sulking because Lin wouldn’t accept his invitation to visit his home in Austria. He wants to celebrate Christmas together with Lin but he needed to go home to Austria to celebrate it. So he wants to bring Lin together with her family to Austria.

He also wants to meet with Lin’s father, Akira, to make a deal with him. Akira has a big influence on both the countries the Qing Empire and the Japanese Meiji Government. He also wants to bring Akira to the signing of the treaties between Austria, the Qing Empire, the Kingdom of Siam, and the Meiji Government in the 25th of December. Having Akira meet with the foreign officials from other countries would enlarge his influence and connections. He planned to pin Akira as one of the reasons why Austrians decided to end the unequal deals and treaties they had with the Asian countries.

“Uhmm… Give me some time Your highness and Goodbye!”

Lin immediately runs away from Justinian. She needs more time to decide whether to accept Crown Prince Justinian’s offer or not. She also needs to ask her parents because they’re included by the Crown Prince to go and stay in Austria for the Christmas Holidays.

 

6