Chapter 21: The Parade of the Mighty German Army
284 2 5
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Berlin, German Empire

Justinian stood firmly together with Lin as they watch the marching of the German soldiers in the wide streets of Berlin. They are together with other countries’ delegations on the side watching the grand military parade that the Germans had prepared for weeks. Tens of thousands of Germans and foreigners filled both sides of the street as they want to watch the neat and sharp marching order of the German troops marched. Banners and standard flags of the German and Prussian armies flies on every balcony where the troops would march.

Young children are waving their flags and dreaming that someday they would be part of the military in the future. The German troops also played marching music adding fervor and life to the military parade. Extreme nationalistic fervor filled the streets as the people celebrated the might of their country’s army. The Germans are filled with glee and pride watching their nation’s power.

Princess Charlotte approached where Crown Prince Justinian and Lin are standing. The other member of the Austrian delegates give way for the Princess and even Lin wants to leave the premise but Justinian holds her hand and tells her to stay by his side. The atmosphere becomes intense as the three people are in a deadlock with each other

Finally, the tension disappeared when Princess Charlotte smiled and curtsy to Crown Prince Justinian.

“It is my honor to be in your presence, Crown Prince Justinian.”

“The honor is mine, Princess Charlotte.”

While the two are greetings in each other, Lin tries her best to make her presence small. She is keeping silent the entire time. She still feels a strange discomfort and fear from the French Princess.

“The most powerful army in the world they say…”

“I thought you will be more biased and say that the French have the most powerful army in the world princess.”

“Ehhh… I’m just a realist and rational person prince. France right now is divided into two factions both led by my brothers. Instead of using the funds properly to manage the country, they are just using it to bribe and earn favors to officials and nobles.”

“Then how about the British princess? They had the largest empire in the world.”

“Their army is somewhat lacking compared to the royal navy.”

The two are lowkey trying to outsmart the other with their exchange of words and sarcasm. Justinian knew that the purpose why the princess approached him is because she wants to remind him to finalize their deal. He already said to Princess Charlotte that he would accept it but they still didn’t finalize and signed anything.

“Princess, I know that you want me to finalize and sign our agreement but I’m busy right now. I hope you will understand and let’s talk after the parade.”

“Hohoho… so the cold and indifferent Crown Prince likes someone. Okay okay… I’ll take my leave, your highness.”

Justinian only nodded when Princess Charlotte said that she would leave. But before she can turn around and leave, some person unexpectedly approached them.

“So here is my ex-fiancée flirting with the Crown Prince of Austria. I didn’t expect that you would find someone immediately princess.”

“Oh, so the womanizer is also here. How’s my present to you? Did you like it?”

“Youuuuuu…”

German Crown Prince Wilhelm Frederick is angry after Princess Charlotte rebuts his statement. His face is flaring in anger as he looks toward the French Princess. For him, all people around here are lower than him. He is the Crown Prince of the German Empire and only his father the Emperor is above him.

He feels that he was just been insulted by someone inferior to him. The Princess is just a woman and he is the man. Also, he sees France as a thorn in the side of the German Empire so he is infuriated about being insulted by one.

He was already angry with her about what she had done during the annulment of their engagement and now she just had insulted him in front of people. How brazen of her, Crown Prince Wilhelm Frederick thought.

He will never forget how the French Princess used the media and the public to hurt his reputation. For him, his relationship with the Sardinian nobleman is his right to choose his spouse as the German Crown Prince, and the Princess should just be thankful that he would annul their relationship properly.

But the Princess used the media and press to spread that he is having an affair with Lady Marie Louise of Pazzi before he can announce their engagement annulment. Because of that, many officials and ministers express their dissatisfaction with the Crown Prince and the way he handles the issue. Especially the German Chancellor who wants to secure an alliance or agreement with the French. He didn’t support the policies of the Chancellor to make diplomacy and deals with the other powers, he believed that everything can be achieved by blood and iron.

He believed that the German has the mission to colonize and rule the entire world. That the German race is the superior race and should lead on the world stage and not the British or the French. And he also believes that he is chosen by God to do God’s work on Earth and that other people should obey and follow his will.

Justinian can sense the tension in the air and covered Lin behind his back so she won’t be included in the situation. Justinian also raised his vigilance and hostility towards the German Crown Prince, the man who advocated the dissolution of the Austrian Empire to unite all German-speaking lands in the German Empire. If this world would follow the novel’s course, then the current German Emperor would die next year and he would ascend the throne. So this fateful encounter would help Justinian deduce his next moves concerning whether the German Empire is an ally or enemy in the future. This would be his chance if the future German Emperor would be a threat to Austria or a useful tool to be manipulated.

“It is my honor to meet the Great Crown Prince of the German Empire, Prince Wilhelm Frederick.”

Justinian extends his right hand to the German Crown Prince for a handshake, waiting for what would be the German Prince’s reaction, whether it would be friendly or arrogant towards him.

5