Chapter 26: Army Inspection
251 0 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Pilsen, Bohemia, Austrian Empire

At the far outskirts of the city of Pilsen, a long convoy of vehicles are traveling in procession. There are even several mounted guards on the sides of the convoy vehicles. All are fully armed and equipped to face any problems and attacks from any enemy.

“How far are we from the Pilsen military base?”

“We would arrive in ten minutes, Your Highness.”

In one of the vehicles in the middle of the convoy, Crown Prince Justinian and Count Karl of Wurttemberg are inside, watching the surrounding views that the convoy had passed.

For two days, their convoy had traveled from Berlin of the German Empire to the border of the Austrian Empire. They could have just immediately traveled to Vienna and just check the reports but the Crown Prince wants to see in his own eyes the condition of the Austrian Army. For him, the 2nd Austrian Army would be the spearhead of the entire Austrian Army. He had given his full support and attention to the 2nd Austrian Army to be able to perform and make excellent results in the future conflict with the Ottomans.

The 2nd Austrian Army is even the first army in Austria that is fully armed with modern and first-rate weaponries and equipment. The 2nd Austrian Army is even trained by Duke Kristoph of Wurttemberg and the Duke’s hand-picked officers. It could be said that this army is the best army currently the Austrian Empire has.

He also needs to show up to the troops and earn their loyalty and respect from them. To personally visit and motivate the men would increase their morale and trust in him. Because why would you trust a person you didn’t even meet personally, he needs to show the men that their Monarch cares for them.

So before going to the Austrian Capital, Vienna, he would visit his best-trained troops and give them the motivation to fight for Austria. He is also bringing with him, some French military officers that are sent by Princess Charlotte to help in training the Austrian Army. These foreign officers have the experience and expertise in real combat because these men had fought in the colonies of the French Empire. They can impart knowledge and tactics to the 2nd Austrian Army. A soldier who experienced real combat and war is different from those who are just training.

“The base is already in sight your Highness.”

Count Karl interrupted Crown Prince’s Justinian deep thinking by saying that they are already near and can see the military base ahead. Crown Prince Justinian can see that the entire military base had a large wall perimeter with watchtowers separated from each other by about twenty meters. There are also trenches outside the perimeter of the base which are about six feet deep and six feet wide.

On the walls and towers, sentries and guards are checking the outside perimeter to maintain the security and vigilance of the camp. There is even a large gate with the signage on the top “Welcome to the 2nd Austrian Army Base.”

Crown Prince Justinian feels proud to see the large improvement of the base and the troops. The last time he visited the 2nd Austrian Army Base, there were no proper base walls and watchtowers in the base. It feels like a militia camp rather than a military base. That’s why he is happy with the improvement in the military base.

When their vehicle had entered the camp, all Austrian soldiers in the base saluted them. He can see the excitement and joy of the Austrian troops that he almost cries because of happiness. He controls his emotions and expression and shows his regal and majestic figure as he gets out of the vehicle. He wears a complete Austrian military officer uniform with all the regalia, badges, and medals that symbolize his rank and position in the Empire. He then slowly walks from the first formation near his car.

He watches every man standing in attention as he strode forward. Every man saluted him when he walks in front of him. He then responds by maintaining a salute to the men as he strode.

Every man felt honored when the Austrian Crown Prince saluted them back. For them this is already a great honor of being an imperial soldier, to have a future emperor grace his presence to them and salute them back. It made their heart filled with zeal and they feel it is worth it to fight for their motherland.

“The soldiers are in high spirits, Your Highness.”

“It is thanks to your tutelage and training to them Duke.”

“You overestimate me, Your Highness. I may be the one who trained them but it is thanks to your presence and support that the men feel they are important.”

Crown Prince Justinian and Duke Kristoph continue to walk to inspect the army. The men in the formation are only five thousand men, half of them from the 2nd Austrian Army while the rest are from the 1st Austrian Imperial Guard that is sent here for training. Only a few men are present in the base to join in the military inspection of the Crown Prince.

Most of the troops are still deployed to guard and patrol key sites and positions in Bohemia. All Austrian Armies are spread thin because of their small number and the Empire’s territory is huge. That’s why most people are positive about the Emperor’s edict of militarization. Having a powerful military would make the people feel secure as there are a lot of powerful neighboring countries that want to devour the Austrian Empire.

After they finished the inspection, Crown Prince Justinian then walked toward the podium in front of the soldiers. Duke Kristoph prepared a podium for the Crown Prince can deliver a motivating speech to the men. He even purchased an expensive microphone from the United States of America so that most of the men can hear the Crown Prince. He understands that the men want to hear a rousing or motivating speech from the person whom they gave their loyalty to.

Fortunately, Crown Prince Justinian had already prepared a speech that he had written on a piece of paper. He stands in front of the zealous gaze of his loyal men. He wants to give his men a lifting message for he knows when the war would come, most of them would lose their lives on the battlefield. He picks up in his pocket the paper where his speech is written. He then breathed deeply and prepare himself to deliver the speech to his men. He just hoped that the men would be motivated after his speech.

3