Chapter 47: The Arduous journey of the Refugees (2)
242 0 5
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Somewhere in the Balkans

The night is dark and silent, everything and everywhere seems been swallowed by darkness. The mountains around are like monsters and giants in the dark of night. In the midst of that, merry and laughter fill the small camp of men staying in the forest. They have erected tents and other things essential around the camp. The men in the camp are the Ottoman soldiers who are chasing some groups of suspected rebel soldiers in the mountains in the Balkans.

For the past few days, their unit was able to rape and pillage some small towns and villages that are suspected to be part of the rebellion or supporting it. For that, they were able to secure a lot of booze and goods that it is already slowing their march due to the heaviness. Instead of getting rid of the luggage, they are carrying, they decided to have a small party or celebration for the coming Christmas even though none of them are Christians, instead in the middle of the operation. They mock the holiday that the Christians are celebrating and even plan to kill a lot of Christians during Christmas.

 They believe that the rebels they were pursuing right now are a slow and easy target due to the report that most of the people they pursuing are women, children, and the elderly. Even if they would start late the next day, they can still able to catch up due to the slow speed of the rebels.

It is already two hours since they started their celebration and the other Ottoman soldiers were already wasted and drunk. They are just sleeping anywhere in the camp with no care about what is happening around them. Other Ottoman soldiers are still drinking and celebrating, laughing, and singing Christmas songs very loudly and mockingly while others are dancing around the campfires the camp. Even their officers are having fun and didn’t care that the security and discipline of their men are lax.

They feel that there is no need to fear the rabble and peasant rebels that they were dealing with. They know that the rebels have never won any battles and skirmishes between them and the Ottoman troops, and the unit has even experienced battles and skirmishes but they were able to defeat the enemies every time it happened. Why do they need to be scared of such an enemy? They even think that they could defeat the rebels with their eyes shut.

Their situation is very prone to an ambush or attack but they think that no one would dare to attack them. There are also some Ottoman units nearby around so it is impossible if there are any large groups of rebels that can pass through from the web of Ottoman soldiers.

But unbeknownst to the Ottoman Officers and soldiers, there are a group of men lurking around the camp. All are armed with anything that can be used as a weapon, from rifles, and pistols to old ones like spears, swords, pitchforks, and bow and arrows.

“Doctor we have already waited here for hours. I think it is time to attack the Ottoman soldiers.”

Doctor Teodor and his men are the ones who are lurking around the Ottoman camp, they are waiting for the optimal time to attack and kill the Ottoman soldiers who are pursuing them. They must defeat the Ottoman soldiers that are following them so that the people especially the elderly and children can be safe and to buy more time for their survival.

And if ever they decided to fully commit and destroy this Ottoman unit that is following them, they must make sure that everyone is taken care of. No survivors should be left so that can buy a few days without being pursued by the Ottomans.

“Tell the men that we would attack in ten minutes. Make sure that everyone is ready to move at that time. We must encircle and kill them all. No survivors should be left.”

They are only sixty-seven men including Teodor in this attack. They were outnumbered and ill-equipped compared to the Ottoman soldiers. If there is only one advantage they can rely on, it would be that the Ottoman security around the camp is almost non-existent and most are drunk and wasted due to the celebration the Ottomans held.

Teodor feels contempt and disgust toward the Ottoman pursuers as they were not even seen as a threat by these Ottoman soldiers. They dare to underestimate them and lower their guard down. It is like the Ottomans are painting a bullseye on their backs and want to be targeted by the rebels.

At first, they think that the celebration held by the Ottomans is a trap to entice them to attack their camp. But as time passes by, they realized that no trap or ambush is waiting for them as the Ottoman soldiers become more wasted and drunk. Even the sentries and guards around the camp are drinking and eating, and the officers just let the men do their own thing. There is no discipline and vigilance in the camp, so they decided to wait until more and more soldiers are incapacitated because of drunkenness and launch a surprise attack.

Teodor and his men are waiting until the time that he decided to attack, some are praying while others are sharpening their weapons. All of them feel nervous and scared about facing the Ottomans in battle. Just a few days ago, they are just simple and ordinary people living their peaceful lives. Now they are here waiting to attack the Ottoman soldiers. They know that they might die this day even if the Ottoman soldiers are drunk and incapacitated.

But aside from the nervousness and fear that they feel, it is anger and revenge that dominated their hearts. They want revenge for the people and friends they lost from those Ottoman soldiers who attacked them unexpectedly. The anger in their hearts can only be quenched by killing every Ottoman soldier in the face of the world. The weapons they were holding will become their partner in getting their revenge.

Teodor can see the anger in the eyes of his men. The bloodshot eyes of his men can tell stories and experiences that they go through and the pain that their hearts are carrying.

Teodor looks at the small picture of his daughter when she is still young that is in his pocket. He can only barely remember the real smile and laughter of his daughter. Now, his daughter has just become an empty shell because of the trauma and pain she experienced. The smile his daughter looks empty and desolate, as a father he feels that everything is his fault. He knows that only time can heal this kind of pain in his daughter but for him, his heart is screaming for vengeance and fury.

He wants to return to every Ottoman Turk what he has experienced and pay them a hundredfold for what they inflicted on him. Only the blood and death of the Ottomans can satisfy the pain in his heart. For him, it is either death to him or death to all Ottomans.

A young man approached Teodor and tell that they only have a minute before they attack. He looks at his watch and confirmed what the young man had said. He picks up his rifle and loads it carefully. He had also loaded his trusty revolver with all the bullets it could hold. He breathes slowly and psyches himself up. It is now or never. This would be his first step in his revenge.

He looks towards his men. Everyone is also making their own final preparations for the attack. Some of the men with him are young while others are old already.

“Men, if you are feeling scared… remember your wives, children, parents, and friends that are waiting for you. If we are successful in this endeavor, we can buy time for a few days so that our loved ones can reach a safer land. I believe that we can do it, gents.”

Teodor tries to encourage his men to the incoming attack. The men look toward him and show a brave expression. They trust the man that is leading them. He had led them for days and their respect for him is high. And now in this darkest time, he is with them willing to die and fight with them together. They can’t show him that they were scared and nervous. They want to reciprocate everything he had done for them, and they are willing to fight and die for the sake of their loved ones.

Teodor seeing the brave face of his men nodded to them and fixed his bayonet in his rifle. The men also followed what he is doing and prepared themselves for the time when he will order to charge. Their hearts are beating loudly, and time seems to be at a lumbering pace. Everyone is waiting for one word to change everything.

“Charge!”

 

 

5