Chapter 51: The French Christmas Ball Party
218 0 5
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Versailles Palace, Paris, French Empire

Like the Imperial Ball in Hofburg Palace organized by the Habsburgs, the Bonapartes had also organized an Imperial party in the Palace of Versailles. It is even grander and bigger than the one in Austria as it needs to show to the world its prestige and might as a global world power and empire. There are thousands of nobles, guests and important people from all over the French Empire invited to the French Imperial party.

To show their might and power to the other European powers, the colonies of the French Empire and dependent nations of the French all sent representatives to attend such a grand occasion. People of all colors are present as it shows the grand scope of the French Empire around the world. Cuisines and desserts from all over the world and huge opera groups and orchestra bands are all present at the imperial party to add life to the imperial party. The Palace of Versailles is so lively and packed that it needed thousands of servants and workers at the time of the occasion.

Nobles formed their own clichés and circles as they interact with men that they were close. Military officers and generals are also present talking and laughing as this event can help them socialize with a lot of people from other fields. Politicians in the French Imperial Government are also invited and are in groups talking about different happenings around the world.

“Your Imperial Highness, your beauty is incomparable to any in this world…”

“Your beauty transcends everything Your Imperial Highness…”

“You are the star in this imperial party Your Imperial Highness. I’m sure every man here would like to have a dance with you…”

One young woman is being flattered by a group of young noblemen in one corner of the palace halls where nobles of high ranks are staying. All of these young noblemen are trying to win the heart of this young maiden that is in front of them. Her majestic and dignified appearance mesmerizes the attention of these young noblemen.

“Thank you for such kind and wonderful words gentlemen. I think I need to go now because I have other things need to do… I hope you will endure your stay here in Versailles.”

The young woman then curtsies to the young noblemen around her. The men immediately bow to the girl to show their courtesies. The young woman then offered her right hand for the young men to kiss the top of her hand to show their fealty and royalty as the young woman in front of them is the only French Princess, Charlotte Bonaparte.

The young noblemen feel happy and proud to kiss the hands of such a beautiful and regal person. The French Princess is already famous throughout the entire French Empire as a beautiful and wise person. There are even people pursuing to make her the next ruling monarch of the French Empire instead of her two older brothers. It is not a bad deal for these young noblemen to be in the good books of the French Princess.

Princess Charlotte feels exasperated in dealing with these people who are trying to take advantage of or use her. Their actions are very childish and annoying in her eyes, the redundancy of meeting such people had bored her to death. Especially now in this imperial ball where a lot of such people are gathered.

She can see that the people are mainly divided into two factions that are led respectively by her two brothers. All are supporting each Prince to become the next in line to the throne.

Her oldest brother, Prince Louis Bonaparte, led the faction that consist mostly of Warhawks and military officers and generals. Louis Bonaparte’s faction has the largest number of supporters because him the eldest of all the current French Emperor’s children and he supports more in expansionist policy in the European continent. They believed that the lands in Europe is more important than lands from other continents and believes that it is France’s destiny to rule over the European continent like Napoleon Bonaparte.

Her other brother, Prince Charles Bonaparte, led another faction that consists of those who supported colonial expansion policies. They view that the only way the French Empire would become more powerful is to colonize more regions around the world. They believed that expansion in the European continent would only cause a large conflict against other European powers and to maintain its Global Empire, the French Empire should embark on ruling more lands abroad.

Both factions are vying for the one they are supporting to become the next French Emperor. They have fought a lot behind the scenes and are trying to undermine the influence and power of the other side. Intrigues, scandals, and conspiracies are commonplace just to win against the other side.

There are also other factions like those who are staying neutral and the liberals who are also in the power struggle. There is even her own faction that is loyal to her and wants to make her an Empress even if this is a patriarchal society.

“It is my honor to be in your presence, Your Imperial Highness.”

“The honor is mine, Count Henry of House Bourbon. It is good to see you are healthy and sound.”

“Thank you for the concern, Your Imperial highness.”

And there are also the factions of the previous French Royal Families who are trying to restore their claims to the French Imperial Crown.

First, is the House of Bourbon, which for decades has gathered strength and influence in the French nobility to restore their family to power. But so far, they were unsuccessful in their aims and always deem as a threat to the House of Bonaparte.

The only reason they were able to survive and avoid destruction is because of the treaty signed after the Napoleonic wars that stated that the previous Royal Family should be allowed to stay in France in their domains. That no harm shall befall the Bourbons in exchange for them to recognize the Bonapartes as the rightful ruler of the French Empire.

“Your Imperial Highness, I hope you would accept our family’s offer of a marriage between you and my son. With us as your supporters, you can achieve what you want to be.”

“Honorable Count, my response would be still the same. It is up to my father His Majesty whether he would accept your offer or not.”

“But I heard Your Imperial Highness, that His Imperial Majesty has accepted our offer but changed his mind because you asked your father that you don’t want to accept the marriage offer.”

“I didn’t know about that Count. I only follow the wishes of His Majesty.”

“I know that you don’t want to accept our offer for unknown reasons Your Imperial Highness… but if you would continue to act like this, you will be destroyed by your brothers. Whether you will fight for the throne or not, you will be viewed as a threat and I’m sure Your Imperial Highness that your brothers would attack you as well.”

Princess Charlotte didn’t respond to what the Count had just said to her, but she only looked toward where her eldest brother, Prince Louis Bonaparte, is. Prince Louis is talking with some nobles who are part of his faction and one man is standing out among the people with the Prince. Count Henry of Bourbon sees where the Princess is looking and had added what he said.

“Your Highness, you must understand now how precarious your situation… That man talking with your older brother, Prince Louis, is Count Richard of Valois… I heard that your brother was able to get their support by political marriage between your brother and the daughter of Count Richard.”

Princess Charlotte knows that the House of Valois is also a contender for the imperial crown but is deemed insignificant and harmless after the Napoleonic wars that they were no actions taken to keep them in check.

But for the past decades, the Valois were able to gather supporters and allies in France and their power and influence have grown to the extent of becoming a major faction, but if there is one thing they were lacking is that they don’t have enough justification to have the crown of France. The marriage between Prince Louis and a lady from the Valois would change everything, especially if the Prince would become the Emperor.

“But I don’t think that is enough reason for me to accept such an offer Count… For me, marriage is something significant and I’m not a fan of political marriage or marriage for convenience Count.”

Princess Charlotte’s expression shows annoyance that the Count thinks that he has gone too far. He must mend the situation and the only solution he can think of is to leave and give the Princess some space to cool off.

“Your Imperial Highness, I think it's time for me to leave as I have some things to do at the imperial party. If you excuse me I shall take my leave. Thank you for your presence and time Your Imperial Highness.”

Princess Charlotte then extends her right hand and the Count kisses the top of her hand and leaves to meet the nobles and guests who are part of his faction. The Princess just continues to sip the wine she is holding and observes the people in the imperial party. If there is one thing that didn’t change in this world and the previous one, there would be people who will try to climb the top even at the expense of others.

So busy this week. Studying for board review, follow up my thesis grades, Christmas party and etc. Hope I have more time to write and post more chapters.

5