Chapter 54: Marriage Proposal
275 0 7
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Hofburg Palace, Vienna, Austrian Empire

It has been days after Christmas and Crown Prince Justinian is currently working in his office to organize the affairs and responsibilities of being the Crown Prince. He is checking the budget and financial expenses of the Habsburg family if there are any corruption and misuse of funds by any members of the Habsburgs.

The Habsburgs have been around for centuries and it become a large family with a lot of branches and minor families that are part of the Habsburgs. And as the next heir of the Austrian Empire, it is also his responsibility to keep the entire family in line and order.

For the past few days, the Austrian Empire was able to conclude a treaty with the Asian countries and the Russian Empire. The treaty of equality and friendship was signed with the Asian countries, and the only thing that the Austrian Empire gave to those countries is the end of the unequal treaties where Austria is benefiting more because it is a European country. In the treaty, Austria was able to get the support of these Asian countries in any conflict that Austria is not the aggressor for the next ten years. This would be very useful as the Qing Empire can provide a large supply of manpower in a short time and the Japanese Meiji can provide naval support and professional soldiers.

The ten-year limit may be unfair to the Austrians, but that is already enough time for Austria to be able to stand on its own or has the strength to become a world power. It is also not a big loss to lose the advantages in the unequal treaty because it would make Austria a better trade route and country for Asian businessmen in Europe. Also, Austria has no colonies in Asia which would make the unequal treaty important to maintain for an advantage.

The Asian Countries knows that the treaty would bind them to support Austria in wars and conflicts for the next ten years. But if there is one thing that these Asian countries really need is recognition. If they can prove on the world stage that the Asian countries can stand on their own from the pressure of the West then it would be the beginning of the end of the European hold in the world, especially for Asia.

A war that would happen away from Asia would also be beneficial for the Asian countries and they have the justification to fight and send troops even not joining directly the war. If the army that they send could prove and show to the world that they are not inferior to the western power then it is already a win for them. Especially for the Japanese navy which is finding a conflict to test whether they have the strength and power to fight other powers and the conflict between Austria and the Ottomans would be a good chance to test it. The Ottoman Empire is already recognized as a European power by some countries and even defeating the Ottomans would boost the prestige of any Asian countries that would join in the upcoming war.

The treaty with the Russians has the same content as the past treaty before the Russo-Prussian war but excludes the defensive alliance. Instead, it is exchanged with material aid and a large number of volunteers for the country at war against other powers. Both powers realized that it is not good for them to be both in war at the same time as it reduced the chance of having an advantageous ground during the conference after the war. It is better if one of them would be the one to host or mediate a peace conference so that the other could benefit and take advantage as much as possible.

Russia knows that the war between Austria and Ottoman would be more advantageous to them if they are directly involved in the war. If Russia would join the war, then other European powers would also join to balance both sides. They can’t afford such a large conflict especially since the German Empire is allied with the Ottomans, Russia is still not ready for a direct conflict against the Germans. But if they maintain neutrality in war but also lend support to the Austrians, they might gain something in this conflict without dropping their foot in the war.

“Your Imperial Highness, His Majesty the Emperor is calling for you.”

A guard knocked and entered Crown Prince Justinian’s office to tell him that Emperor Franz Joseph is calling for him about something important. Crown Prince Justinian didn’t expect this summon as they have just finished eating breakfast together with the Emperor and they were no such discussion during that time. He can only obey and walk toward where the Emperor is staying right now.

As he trotted along the halls of the Palace, he can see large changes in the people around him. The people were more motivated and encouraged to work as he can see in their eyes and actions. The people greet him with respect and reverence and the people are happier with what they are doing. The thing that creates this change in these people is the increased salary that they received every month.

The loyalty that can be gained from honor, integrity, trust, and leadership must be supplemented with incentives and benefits to further increase their loyalty and zeal to the Austrian Empire and the Habsburgs. There should be something physical and tangible benefits that the people can get to make their trust and loyalty increase to reach the point that the people under the command would not betray.

“Tell His Majesty the Emperor, that I’m here.”

Crown Prince Justinian had reached where Emperor Franz Joseph is working currently. Crown Prince Justinian is outside the door waiting to be permitted to enter the office. One of the guards knocks on the door and entered first to the office. After a while, the guard goes out and tells Crown Prince Justinian that he can enter the room.

Crown Prince Justinian then enters the room and sees that Emperor Franz Joseph is not alone inside the office. Minister-President Friedrich von Berthold and Count Richard von Metternich are also inside the room and are having a discussion with the Emperor.

“I greet His Majesty of Austria.”

“Sit at that chair… we have an important thing to discuss.”

Emperor Franz Joseph just point Crown Prince Justinian to a chair in front of the desk where he is working. Crown Prince Justinian sensed that something serious had come up that is involving him. He is thinking about what would it possibly be but there is nothing that comes up to his mind.

“Your Imperial Majesty, why do you urgently ask for my presence? Is there an important thing you need to discuss with me urgently?”

The three men with the Crown Prince inside the office then look at each other and nod. Minister-President gives a letter to Crown Prince Justinian that looks like a telegram letter from the French.

“Read the contents of the letter Justinian. It seems we are at a pickle right now,” Emperor Franz Joseph said. Crown Prince Justinian looks first to the Emperor and then to the letter.

Crown Prince Justinian reads the letter and as he continues to read, the other three in the room see the face of the Crown Prince contort in disgust as he reads the letter.

“Prince Louis Bonaparte had got us in a dilemma right now,” Count Richard von Metternich said. “If we will accept the offer, then French Princess Charlotte would become your fiancée Your Highness and it would strengthen Prince Louis’ claim to the French Throne. But if we won’t accept such an offer, we would offend the French, especially Prince Louis who has the highest chance to be the successor of the French Empire.”

The four people present are silent and deadlocked. The message has still not been announced in public but it would be announced soon. They must plan their decision before the proposal would be announced to the public and it might be too late if they can’t make a response right now.

“Does the French Emperor knows this offer? This might be a bluff from the First Prince of the French Empire. They know that I and the Princess have a good and cordial relationship.” Crown Prince Justinian said. He is hoping that it is just a bluff from the French side to test them.

“I think it is not. The letter is inside an envelope that has the Imperial seal of the French Emperor stamped on it. The French Emperor possibly allowed the French Prince to send this message because of the treaties we had just signed with other countries especially the one with Russia. We know that the Bonapartes have a complicated relationship with the Russians. It is always their goal to redeem the honor of Napoleon I Bonaparte who failed in his Russian Campaign during the Napoleonic wars.” Minister-President Friedrich von Berthold said, crushing the hopes of Crown Prince Justinian.

“We must decide whether here we accept or not before I would convene an imperial meeting here. Justinian, what do you want.” Emperor Franz Joseph said. Now it is up to Crown Prince Justinian to decide. All men present are looking to him for what would he choose, as this decision would shape their relationship with the future ruler of the French Empire.

Announcement
ADVANCE MERRY CHRISTMAS AND HAPPY NEW YEAR! I HOPE EVERYONE ENJOYS THE CHRISTMAS HOLIDAY !!!!!
7